HiFiMAN RE-400 Review
Sep 27, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #301 of 301
I thought I'd post a quick feedback after I bought these recently to replace my dying 8 years old Phonak PFE 012. I've had a 10 years love affair with the Phonaks but I think the Hifiman are my favorites now.

I'm using the single black tips on them and I think it's the best way to make them shine (notice how the other black tips are narrower and how the white ones are brighter in comparison). Balance is absolutely spot on, which is amazing for a single dynamic driver and clearly questions the need for pricey multi armature drivers (other than to justify the 4 figure prices).

Mid-range has the same realistic tone that I loved about the RE0, but with a welcomed extension in the deep bass. I didn't expect this kind of linear bass from a dynamic driver, it has the same hypnotic quality that can be usually found in armatures. Works really well with electronic genres. Treble is very smooth with no sibilance, which is all I ask for.

I made some direct comparisons with my Stax SR-003 (another crazy value for money, got them for €150) and they compare very well, with a similar balance (the Stax do have a darker/smoother mid-range) and transparency (electrostats are still faster of course). I don't feel like I'm missing much with the RE400 to be honest.

Last year I had the chance to hear some €1000+ CIEMs from Westone and Earsonics and I think none of these impressed me as much in terms of clarity and neutrality. Seriously, I'm wondering how the RE2000 must sound at 25 times the price!

Regarding build quality the new cable seems very durable (at least on the jack side, not so much on the earphones side), we'll see how long they'll last. At €80 I don't mind buying these every year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back