Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Sep 17, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #3,242 of 3,507
Hi! I created a thread a couple of hours ago, but I just realized that I may find an answer among you fellow RE owners. 
Long story short: my RE400 are slightly damaged. The plastic detached from the metal casing as you can see here  
Should I send it back on warranty to Penonaudio at my expense, knowing that I won't see them for at least a month and a half, or is it a kind of damage that I can fix with some superglue? Mind that the earphone works just fine.
I am not scared of aesthetical damage, I don't care much. I just want to know if this is as easy as it seems or I should avoid it for some reason.
Thank you very much.
P.s. besides Hifiman's clear inability in doing durable goods, I like how the re400 sound so much that I am thinking of buying the RE600 too

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #3,243 of 3,507
  Hi! I created a thread a couple of hours ago, but I just realized that I may find an answer among you fellow RE owners. 
Long story short: my RE400 are slightly damaged. The plastic detached from the metal casing as you can see here  
Should I send it back on warranty to Penonaudio at my expense, knowing that I won't see them for at least a month and a half, or is it a kind of damage that I can fix with some superglue? Mind that the earphone works just fine.
I am not scared of aesthetical damage, I don't care much. I just want to know if this is as easy as it seems or I should avoid it for some reason.
Thank you very much.
P.s. besides Hifiman's clear inability in doing durable goods, I like how the re400 sound so much that I am thinking of buying the RE600 too

I loved the sound of my RE-600's (version 1) but due to the terrible cable quality, I sold my replacement pair. I'm sorry to hear that you're finding durability problems with the 400's, too. What good is a great sounding IEM if it doesn't stand up to even careful use?

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #3,244 of 3,507

Long story short: my RE400 are slightly damaged. The plastic detached from the metal casing as you can see here [ATTACHMENT=3308]rightbud.jpg (2,864k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
Thank you very much.

I wld highly recommend to get it replaced,as long as its under warranty......the cable beyond the y-split is not good and so the strain reliefs but the fabric woven sheath upto the jack is ok in comparison to the other thin cables that are to the right and left earpieces. And I never used the chin slider fearing that wld slice the cable being aluminium, if I were to use it.

There's a newer version of songbird (RE-600 V2) launched a while ago, with decent/improvised cable.?.....but at this point of time, just sound alone is not a criteria for you but other factors too make you a purchase decision, then there are many choices to choose from under $200, from other mfrs too,if you lookin for some alternatives.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #3,246 of 3,507
After 125 hours of burn in, I don't know, it feels like the highs have opened up, something that definitely was lacking before, they felt so "tamed" and veiled.
Guitar solos and most riffs sounded all right, but just boring, they had no edge to it.

I was actually EQing DOWN the bass, and the sub-bass up, along with the highs (2db up), after some high-volume burn-in (brain or physical) I just figured it didn't need any EQ anymore. 

Anyways, just had my first wow moment with the re-400's.
Having had the ATH-M50s for a few years now, I was just listening to The Temple Of The King cover by Scorpions, and noticed how the bass on the RE-400 is so subtle compared to the M50s.
The notes on the intro sound so much livelier, the guitar has more "attack" and the bass gives a subtle reverberation on a couple of low-end notes of the guitar. It just sounds so much more dynamic.
This is the kind of detail the M50 would just not pick, simply passed over it, even on the bass department.

I guess the RE-400 just have a better dynamic-range and details compared to the M50s (specially because the M50s are mid-recessive).

Anyways, I really don't understand how people can tell the RE-400's are low/lighy on bass, they're definitely enough to me, even coming from the M50.

Haven't done any AB'ing with my Earsonics SM3, the cable is damaged (my dog screwed it up), so haven't listened to them for a while.
I just wish the RE-400s had a better cable, they appear really fragile.

Also, anyone else feels like they have a bump in the 4k range? Equalizing it down (slightly) makes vocals sound more natural, like removing a hiss around it.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #3,247 of 3,507
certainly not a new release

but so far i think these a good alternative to the re400, they feel more durable then my re400 pair (less hard plastic, more of the flexible kind)

the housing is a bit larger though

hm... gonna need to spend a bit more time on them (i hope hifiman releases the re00 more regularly). 

so far i'm so happy considering the $39-50 i spent on them

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #3,248 of 3,507
Yeah the fidlio s2 would be a alt re400

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #3,249 of 3,507
After 125 hours of burn in, I don't know, it feels like the highs have opened up, something that definitely was lacking before, they felt so "tamed" and veiled.
Guitar solos and most riffs sounded all right, but just boring, they had no edge to it.

I was actually EQing DOWN the bass, and the sub-bass up, along with the highs (2db up), after some high-volume burn-in (brain or physical) I just figured it didn't need any EQ anymore. 

Anyways, just had my first wow moment with the re-400's.
Having had the ATH-M50s for a few years now, I was just listening to The Temple Of The King cover by Scorpions, and noticed how the bass on the RE-400 is so subtle compared to the M50s.
The notes on the intro sound so much livelier, the guitar has more "attack" and the bass gives a subtle reverberation on a couple of low-end notes of the guitar. It just sounds so much more dynamic.
This is the kind of detail the M50 would just not pick, simply passed over it, even on the bass department.

I guess the RE-400 just have a better dynamic-range and details compared to the M50s (specially because the M50s are mid-recessive).

Anyways, I really don't understand how people can tell the RE-400's are low/lighy on bass, they're definitely enough to me, even coming from the M50.

Haven't done any AB'ing with my Earsonics SM3, the cable is damaged (my dog screwed it up), so haven't listened to them for a while.
I just wish the RE-400s had a better cable, they appear really fragile.

Also, anyone else feels like they have a bump in the 4k range? Equalizing it down (slightly) makes vocals sound more natural, like removing a hiss around it.

Similar experience here. My RE400 sounds amazingly better post-break-in. In fact, I ended up stepping back down from the RE600 because it couldn't match the high end detail of the RE400 and I wasn't impressed with the bass lift (I'd say it bled into the mids a bit).

Regarding the lack of bass with the RE400, I'm wondering if there's quality control issues. My original pair's jack broke and I ordered a new one, but the SQ was subpar, notably lacking on the low end. I resoldered my old pair and sent that new pair back, as the difference was night and day. The new pair had the mic cable, so that could be it, but the internals are supposed to be the same...

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #3,250 of 3,507
My RE-400's bit the dust after less than two months of light at home use. The driver housing had come in two from where it was supposed to be securely clamped, the wires attached to the driver in the right earbud are toast, even after resold erring them twice back onto the driver, and the cable sheathing and strain reliefs are beyond repair at this point. I do not know how such an amazing sounding product can be produced so poorly. HIFIMAN, you have a wonderful product that has some seriously overlooked design issues. Please sort this out, until then I can not willingly support a company that sells such sub-par merchandise.

Just sharing my 2c for all potential RE-400/600 buyers. Not here to put down the sound of these earbuds because they do sound GREAT. Just could not sit quiet when there were such abhorrent flaws in the design of their product.

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #3,251 of 3,507
My RE-400's bit the dust after less than two months of light at home use. The driver housing had come in two from where it was supposed to be securely clamped, the wires attached to the driver in the right earbud are toast, even after resold erring them twice back onto the driver, and the cable sheathing and strain reliefs are beyond repair at this point. I do not know how such an amazing sounding product can be produced so poorly. HIFIMAN, you have a wonderful product that has some seriously overlooked design issues. Please sort this out, until then I can not willingly support a company that sells such sub-par merchandise.

Just sharing my 2c for all potential RE-400/600 buyers. Not here to put down the sound of these earbuds because they do sound GREAT. Just could not sit quiet when there were such abhorrent flaws in the design of their product.

+1
I was so aghast at the poor QC of my RE-600's that I sent an email to Hifiman's Fang Bian. Never got a response, though. :-/

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #3,252 of 3,507
+1
I was so aghast at the poor QC of my RE-600's that I sent an email to Hifiman's Fang Bian. Never got a response, though. :-/

Perhaps it's Hifiman's marketing strategy to make you buy a new unit whenever it breaks because you love the RE400/RE600's sound so much. What a good business strategy....I don't see why Fang Bian wants to change a fantastic business strategy that will bring more profit to his company 
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #3,253 of 3,507
I sent my RE-600's in for the RE-600 V2 replacement and they've been holding up great so far(2 months in). Love these earphones.. only others I'm interested in is the Grado GR10e.

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3,254 of 3,507
Similar experience here. My RE400 sounds amazingly better post-break-in. In fact, I ended up stepping back down from the RE600 because it couldn't match the high end detail of the RE400 and I wasn't impressed with the bass lift (I'd say it bled into the mids a bit).

Regarding the lack of bass with the RE400, I'm wondering if there's quality control issues. My original pair's jack broke and I ordered a new one, but the SQ was subpar, notably lacking on the low end. I resoldered my old pair and sent that new pair back, as the difference was night and day. The new pair had the mic cable, so that could be it, but the internals are supposed to be the same...

I'm also one of those who preferred the RE-400 sound over the RE-600's. Massively. The RE-600 sounded ''gloomy'' for my liking - dark and certainly less resolving compared to the naturalness and lifelike musicality of the RE400. That RE600 sound was like an overuse of dark chocolate to a desert's recipe.

Therefore, I sent them back within the 14-day period and ended up having big trouble getting my money back as at first they were denying receipt of the item. I don't know if there was a misscommunication issue between their offices in China and the US department where I sent my return, but I had to ask ebay to step up and get my money back. Thankfully, I did send it tracked and insured and there was an online proof of receipt.

That said, I'm a big fan of the Hifiman's trademark sound signature (I have now joined the Massdrop's drop for a pair of RE-0) but I'd suggest all you you interested in any of their products, to buy from reputable local re-sellers or through ebay. If you end up with a faulty pair, it's good at least to have a way to get a replacement or your money back....

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #3,255 of 3,507
I'm also one of those who preferred the RE-400 sound over the RE-600's. Massively. The RE-600 sounded ''gloomy'' for my liking - dark and certainly less resolving compared to the naturalness and lifelike musicality of the RE400. That RE600 sound was like an overuse of dark chocolate to a desert's recipe.

Therefore, I sent them back within the 14-day period and ended up having big trouble getting my money back as at first they were denying receipt of the item. I don't know if there was a misscommunication issue between their offices in China and the US department where I sent my return, but I had to ask ebay to step up and get my money back. Thankfully, I did send it tracked and insured and there was an online proof of receipt.

That said, I'm a big fan of the Hifiman's trademark sound signature (I have now joined the Massdrop's drop for a pair of RE-0) but I'd suggest all you you interested in any of their products, to buy from reputable local re-sellers or through ebay. If you end up with a faulty pair, it's good at least to have a way to get a replacement or your money back....

I'm following that thread and am looking forward to your RE-400 comparison. :)

I'm about to send my RE-400 to Hifiman for recabling, but have the AF180 coming and want to compare. Who knows, maybe I'll save myself $450 and get the RE-00 if it's as good as I'm hearing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back