Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 20, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #3,151 of 14,676

I have HD800 & HE6. The HE6 as well has great performance on piano. My wife is classical pianist, she prefers the Hifiman over the HD800 on piano pieces. (driven by EF6)

Obviousley, I told her that these headphones cost not more than 200,oo Euros

Agree. I always had a great opinion on instrumental reproduction on my modded HE-6 vs the stock HD800. That is not to say the HD800s aren't very good too...

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #3,152 of 14,676
I have HD800 & HE6. The HE6 as well has great performance on piano.
Obviousley, I told her that these headphones cost not more than 200,oo Euros

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #3,153 of 14,676
  That could also be a product of the rest of the gear chain, or the environment or both.

I am sure that could be part of it but there is no doubt HiFiMAN kept working on them after CES and made changes. What they changed I don't know.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 20, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #3,154 of 14,676

That was a very vivid and really helpful review! (Which doesn't necessarily mean that I would come to the same conclusion, but that's a commonplace.) I haven't heard any of the three, but would like to.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #3,155 of 14,676
  For example, a silver cable turns my HD650 into a much better headphone that IMO easily outclasses the HD-800. Gone is the muddy bass and veil and hello highs.

No way! I have both (Silver Dragon included), and that's all I can say. – I should add «to my ears» as well.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #3,156 of 14,676
I'm really not sure why this thread turned in to the HD800 appreciation thread in the past five to six pages, but I sure am glad I didn't get one of these broken HD800s with no bass being mentioned.

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #3,157 of 14,676
  I'm really not sure why this thread turned in to the HD800 appreciation thread in the past five to six pages, but I sure am glad I didn't get one of these broken HD800s with no bass being mentioned.

I am also not sure ... maybe lack of substantial new info from the manufacturer of the HE1000?
wink.gif

And FIW there is no such thing like a "broken HD800"
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #3,159 of 14,676

I am also not sure ... maybe lack of substantial new info from the manufacturer of the HE1000?
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

The HD800 is the direct competition at half the price...that's why.  Once people get a better handle of the Hifimans it's going to be mano a mano.  The debate will be heated in the future, so giddy up, buddy boy!  The HE-1000s may be better than the HD800s, but it's going to be a tall order (and for double the price, to boot) to surpass them.  I have to tell you, I'm excited, especially after Frank Iaconne's impressions (i.e., he has never steered me wrong...our ears are shaped exactly the same!!!)

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #3,160 of 14,676

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I think as we all await new information on the HE1000 with this thread open before us begging for news, this thread becomes like CNN when the next phase of an event has not yet happened, and the reporters simply mark time with speculation, explanation, and repetition.

Good example is when Conan O'Brien presented his program from Cuba ("Conan In Cuba") a few weeks ago, and he played out his roof-top reporting on a barking dog into the best CNN speculation, explanation, and repetition, commenting at the end that he could extend it up to 6 hours, and that Anderson Cooper has the easiest job in the world.

"The dog has stopped barking now.  We need to see why it has stopped barking.  ... We don't know what kind of dog it is.  It sounds like a smaller dog.  This is what they do on CNN."

The section starts at about 1:50 into the tape.

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #3,161 of 14,676
  The HD800 is the direct competition at half the price...that's why.  Once people get a better handle of the Hifimans it's going to be mano a mano.  The debate will be heated in the future, so giddy up, buddy boy!  The HE-1000s may be better than the HD800s, but it's going to be a tall order (and for double the price, to boot) to surpass them.  I have to tell you, I'm excited, especially after Frank Iaconne's impressions (i.e., he has never steered me wrong...our ears are shaped exactly the same!!!)

biggrin.gif
The fanboys really are holding on for dear life aren't they.
biggrin.gif

The thought of ANOTHER headphone coming a long that is more enjoyable and in many ways more technical than the hd800's - god forbid!

It was so funny to see the 800 owners screaming for answers when the first he1000 impressions came out.

eek.gif
    ''CAN THEY IMAGE LIKE THE 800'S???!!!

''DO THEY HAVE A SOUNDSTAGE LIKE THE 800'S???!!!''  

''THIS IS ALL WE HAVE LEFT. PLEASE SAY THEY DONT!!!''    
eek.gif

From what many, many people have said, the direct competition to these will be Audeze, Stax, Abyss and the he-6.

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #3,162 of 14,676
lol i wldnt crown any champions prematurely until after sone direct comparisons. from the ces comparisions, the gap between a lot of these headphones doesnt sound to be that large.

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #3,164 of 14,676
You told in pm's they were 500% better than the 650, 700's, 800's and the he-90's combined, money4me!

For shame!

hahah never heard the hd700 or he90, so prob wasnt me. i do think these were better than the hd800, but that was not from a side-by-side comparision & was of an earlier prototype. Really need a direct controlled back-and-forth comparison imo to really get the sense whether the 3k premium will be worth it.

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #3,165 of 14,676
Finding someone with similar tastes who has access to a lot of cans is definitely invaluable.

Quote:

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Basically this. Lacking impressions, people need something to talk about, so it ends up being everything else.

I'll throw a curveball and say that the HE1000's real competitor will be the MrSpeakers Ether. It was both pairs of cans that really gave me outstanding listening experiences recently. For a whole rig though, obviously the 009s with a suitable level of amplification. The HD-800s just haven't been giving me a satisfactory experience lately, probably because I've been listening to a local of vocals lately and the Ethers have outstanding treble reproduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back