Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 20, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #3,166 of 14,653

biggrin.gif
The fanboys really are holding on for dear life aren't they.
biggrin.gif

The thought of ANOTHER headphone coming a long that is more enjoyable and in many ways more technical than the hd800's - god forbid!

It was so funny to see the 800 owners screaming for answers when the first he1000 impressions came out.

eek.gif
    ''CAN THEY IMAGE LIKE THE 800'S???!!!

''DO THEY HAVE A SOUNDSTAGE LIKE THE 800'S???!!!''  

''THIS IS ALL WE HAVE LEFT. PLEASE SAY THEY DONT!!!''    
eek.gif

From what many, many people have said, the direct competition to these will be Audeze, Stax, Abyss and the he-6.

Fanboy? whatcha talkin' 'bout Willis?  Based on Frank I's impressions, I wouldn't be surprised if they were better than the HD800s.  No fan boy here.  I have no dog in this fight....I definitely want them to be better than the HD800s (who doesn't?).  I'm just saying it's gonna be a tall order, but it's not like it is impossible.  One thing's for sure, I'm dying to hear them.  If we have a hybrid between the HD800s and the LCD-Xs, then we may have THE HEADPHONE!

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #3,167 of 14,653

Basically this. Lacking impressions, people need something to talk about, so it ends up being everything else.

I'll throw a curveball and say that the HE1000's real competitor will be the MrSpeakers Ether. It was both pairs of cans that really gave me outstanding listening experiences recently. For a whole rig though, obviously the 009s with a suitable level of amplification. The HD-800s just haven't been giving me a satisfactory experience lately, probably because I've been listening to a local of vocals lately and the Ethers have outstanding treble reproduction.

Hey, Currawong, how about the ethers with classical music? the price point is enticing!

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #3,168 of 14,653
I would have personally preferred something between the SR-009s and HE-6s. Oh wait a minute...

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #3,170 of 14,653
I'm also puzzled why the HD800 is chosen as the benchmark for comparison, other than it's widespread ownership. It's been a controversial phone all the way back to its introduction.
I have one and enjoy it very much when everything lines up correctly up the chain, but it has a unique signature, definitely not a warm sound, and seems to be picky about amplification and sources that complement it to get the right synergy.
I would nominate the LCD3 (Classic or Fazored) or Hifiman's own 560 (family resemblance or house sound commonality may be something a reader can relate to, despite the price difference).
I think these latter phones have a more balanced sound.

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #3,171 of 14,653
Among these headphones the HD800 is by far the most popular and well known, but besides that IMO of all these headphones the HE1000 sounds most similar to an HD800 to me.  

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #3,173 of 14,653
I sure am glad I didn't get one of these broken HD800s with no bass being mentioned.

If anyone still uses one of those stoopid, broken, nobass, nogood hd800 cans I would gladly help you get rid of it ... I'll even pay the shipping costs :D

Basically this. Lacking impressions, people need something to talk about, so it ends up being everything else.

I'll throw a curveball and say that the HE1000's real competitor will be the MrSpeakers Ether. It was both pairs of cans that really gave me outstanding listening experiences recently. For a whole rig though, obviously the 009s with a suitable level of amplification. The HD-800s just haven't been giving me a satisfactory experience lately, probably because I've been listening to a local of vocals lately and the Ethers have outstanding treble reproduction.

Havent heard any of the new toys but the he1000 vs Ether is definitely my favourite fight. In my book the ether is leading by a wide margin right now.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #3,174 of 14,653
If anyone still uses one of those stoopid, broken, nobass, nogood hd800 cans I would gladly help you get rid of it ... I'll even pay the shipping costs
biggrin.gif

Havent heard any of the new toys but the he1000 vs Ether is definitely my favourite fight. In my book the ether is leading by a wide margin right now.

I don't know enough about the Ether.

I thought people were saying it was good for the league it was in. I didn't realise people were considering it in the same league as the flagships.

Can anybody (including yourself) elaborate please?

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #3,175 of 14,653
I don't know enough about the Ether.

I thought people were saying it was good for the league it was in. I didn't realise people were considering it in the same league as the flagships.

Can anybody (including yourself) elaborate please?

As mentioned, I did not hear any of those ... all I know are the various impressions posted on headfi ... you can check the ether and canjam socal threads, there are lots of related posts

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #3,178 of 14,653
  I would have personally preferred something between the SR-009s and HE-6s. Oh wait a minute...

Hey, Currawong, how about the ethers with classical music? the price point is enticing!

Hmm, I think it's as potkettleblack suggests. I met Dan Meinwald of E.A.R. USA at Canjam and Frank I and I were taking him to different TOTL rigs to try and convince him that headphones could be good. He only liked the HD-800/Schiit RYgg, probably because of the headphones primarily. The soundstage does sound amazing with the HD-800s but can be good much of a good thing, or unrealistically large with some recordings. The Ethers are closer to front row in that respect, but I find with my Studio Six rig the imaging is so precise that I keep looking around me because the instruments seem to be coming from all directions including behind me sometimes. So I reckon how good they are for classical will depend on how good the rest of the gear is more than anything, ie: Excellent gear will have excellent results. More specifically though I find that Dan's obsession with getting an excellent treble reproduction is a strong positive for classical, as there is nothing more grating than bad instrument reproduction in this way.

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #3,180 of 14,653
If anyone still uses one of those stoopid, broken, nobass, nogood hd800 cans I would gladly help you get rid of it ... I'll even pay the shipping costs
biggrin.gif

Soundstage allergies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back