Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 19, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #3,136 of 14,676

i don't know what the price is for the sr009 in the UK, but here in the states, with the current strong dollar, the sr009 and the he1000 are about the same price.

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #3,137 of 14,676

Yes, but I mean, since you mentioned copper cable, do you use an aftermarket copper cable or just the stock one? 
Since the stock one is a combination of copper and silver, of which I had no idea as well.
If the inverse of what I experienced with the HD650 is true then maybe the HD800 could have some extra bass with a full copper cable.
Will try to have a listen as well when I go to listen to the rest. That "shop" has the HD800 as well as a lot of amp brands so I hope he has a balanced Senn cable as well.
I'm intrigued ...

http://hifilounge.co.uk

I didn't know the stock cable had some silver in it...but maybe its not enough to change the sound (I'm betting the silver used is nominal/minimal given the high price of silver...maybe they a tiny bit of silver to give the brand a bit more cachet, not that it really needs it.

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #3,139 of 14,676
  I don't think that would really have to do with the orientation of the grills. Fang has been tweaking the HE1000 internally since CES.

I was not implying that it had to do with the grills. I don't know what or how many tweaks Dr. Fan did between the two models . My only comment is that the one at Jude's office according to Jude was better sounding to the one at CES.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 19, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #3,140 of 14,676
I was not implying that it had to do with the grills. I don't know what or how many tweaks Dr. Fan did between the two models . My only comment is that the one at Jude's office according to Jude was better sounding to the one at CES.

yup thats what i figured. just preventitive clarification i guess to prevent grill orientation discussion hahah.

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #3,141 of 14,676

yup thats what i figured. just preventitive clarification i guess to prevent grill orientation discussion hahah.

Yup... the sound effect of horizontal vs vertical grills probably pales in comparison to the sound effect of copper vs. silver cables!
regular_smile .gif

judes observation was that because the earpieces were taller than they were wide, horizontal grills would tend to minimize this, while the older vertical grills would accentuate it.

Sort of like the reverse of why I wear vertical stripes... to attenuate my horizontal "tallness!"!

image01.gif

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #3,142 of 14,676
  Sort of like the reverse of why I wear vertical stripes... to attenuate my horizontal "tallness!"!

awww cute pix. and i'm guessing your pajama's have horizontal stripes to attenuate your...

:wink: heh

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #3,143 of 14,676
awww cute pix. and i'm guessing your pajama's have horizontal stripes to attenuate your...

:wink: heh

LOL. I was expecting @wink to write this kind of posts... :smiley:

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #3,144 of 14,676
Quote:Appleheadmay
 Not that hard to outclass a HD800. It has virtually no bass

Only to the bassheads.

Quote:As Above
 But for example, a piece like Berlioz Requiem which has a lot of bass and sub bass and is even hard to play on many a decent speaker system, how does the HD800 cope with that?

You would have to compare the sound in a theatre live to see how much bass is produced with what you want to be produced.
Figaro69 gave a good description above.

The HD800 is the only headphone I own that reproduces the bass subharmonics on a piano the way I hear them in real life, with the correct volume.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #3,145 of 14,676
Quote:musicman59
 My only comment is that the one at Jude's office according to Jude was better sounding to the one at CES.

That could also be a product of the rest of the gear chain, or the environment or both.

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #3,146 of 14,676
I like my Hifiman HE-6 better than I did the HD800, and much prefer the HE-6 on most all music, except maybe on classical.
HE-6 has better tactibility, deeper, tighter bass, and is more coherent top to bottom than HD 800, if driven properly.
The HE-6 is also just as detailed and transparent as the HD 800, again, if driven properly, IMHO.
The HD 800 even sounds less engaging, and more "sterile" than the HE-6.
They are both brighter than neutral, but the slight brightness of the HE-6 doesn't bother me like the HD 800 did.
The only thing the HD 800 did better was that it was easier to drive, and the soundstaging was superior, but this was with classical music only.
I like the HE-6 more and more as I listen to them.
They are also clearly superior to the HE-500 in speed, transparency, detail, coherence, and bass tightness.

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #3,147 of 14,676
If you are listening to classical music in a concert hall the bass is nowhere near the quantity it is at a rock concert where the bass is physically punching you in the chest and there's probably even more with live electronic music.  So underwhelming bass for one genre is probably overblown for another.  If you listen to a rock band live, then listen to them on the HD800s, the bass will seem almost non existent.

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #3,148 of 14,676
I like my Hifiman HE-6 better than I did the HD800, and much prefer the HE-6 on most all music, except maybe on classical.
HE-6 has better tactibility, deeper, tighter bass, and is more coherent top to bottom than HD 800, if driven properly.
The HE-6 is also just as detailed and transparent as the HD 800, again, if driven properly, IMHO.
The HD 800 even sounds less engaging, and more "sterile" than the HE-6.
They are both brighter than neutral, but the slight brightness of the HE-6 doesn't bother me like the HD 800 did.
The only thing the HD 800 did better was that it was easier to drive, and the soundstaging was superior, but this was with classical music only.
I like the HE-6 more and more as I listen to them.
They are also clearly superior to the HE-500 in speed, transparency, detail, coherence, and bass tightness.

agree wholeheartedly. the hd800 are very good. very good. but i do prefer the he6 as well. 

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #3,149 of 14,676
  Only to the bassheads.

You would have to compare the sound in a theatre live to see how much bass is produced with what you want to be produced.
Figaro69 gave a good description above.

The HD800 is the only headphone I own that reproduces the bass subharmonics on a piano the way I hear them in real life, with the correct volume.

I have HD800 & HE6. The HE6 as well has great performance on piano. My wife is classical pianist, she prefers the Hifiman over the HD800 on piano pieces. (driven by EF6)

Obviousley, I told her that these headphones cost not more than 200,oo Euros

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #3,150 of 14,676
I have HD800 & HE6. The HE6 as well has great performance on piano. My wife is classical pianist, she prefers the Hifiman over the HD800 on piano pieces. (driven by EF6)

I also noticed that the HE6+EF6 has less coloration than with other amps, making it totally satisfying solution for a wide range of music. Still, colored when compared to the SR-009. For classical I think I prefer the HD800 when driven well (which only proves these things are subjective), despite the slight hardness of the HD800 sound compared to the 009. It's another question that the HE6+EF6 is far better value.

As for other comments about the SR-009 amps costing a lot - that is true, but the 009 sounds good already with a good [tube] amp and a better transformer solution (e.g. SRD-7 Pro with upgraded transformers, or a Verto box). That lowers the bar for people who already have a good amp. Get the best headphones to start with and grow on the amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back