Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 19, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #3,107 of 14,678

I actually returned my 800's and kept my 650's.

When you say outclasses, people - including myself - will think you mean technically. For the 650's to outclass the 800's due to an aftermarket cable.. Is a little....

Oh I'm pretty sure the HD800 outclasses the HD650 technically. They should as they replaced them as TOTL Senns after many years.
I meant soundwise, with a silver cable, they outclass them IMO of course.
Again, IMO, like I said in my first post that seems to have started all the cable fuss.

Not that I'd recommend a silver cable for a HE-1000, like most here, I have no idea what it will sound like but from the impressions of those that heard them at CJ it's a phone I'll need to hear.

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #3,108 of 14,678

And why are we talking about HD800 on here?

Because the HD800 is direct competition (at half the price) for the HE-1000.  Everyone is wondering if the HE-1000 solves the HD800 "problems" enough to justify the purchase.  As a classical music lover, I worry the extra bass will color the sound of my recordings too much...on the other hand, if you listen to anything other than classical music, the HE-1000 appears to be quite an exciting proposition.

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #3,109 of 14,678

When you go to the concert hall, the bass doesn't tend to overwhelm you...it gets kind of dissipated throughout the hall.  Thus, when you listen to classical music recordings through headphones (or speakers, for that matter) and the bass overwhelms you, it may be quite exciting, but it is not real life (i.e., the sound is colored or exaggerated...it becomes a caricature of the intended sound).  What the HD800 does is make the music sound as close to real life as possible (at least music that has not been artificially amplified).  Thus, when people find the HD800s lacking in bass, it means (at least to me) that they want their headphones to be on the south side of neutral to get the thrill of the thumping bass...even if it isn't so in real life.  The T1 is wonderful for classical, but you may like the Audeze LCD-XC even better (i.e., this is the Audeze headphone for people who hate the Audeze house sound!).

This isn't the first time the XC is recommeneded to me or at least attracts my attention in a post, and I did hate the LCD2, no idea about their whole house sound though.
Lucklily I found a place where I will be able to listen to just about all the top cans I am interested in for a whole day, including the HE-1000 and XC. No easy feat here in europe though.

I don't consider myself a basshead and I'm not into EDM but I do like extension for both highs and lows, as long as it's clean, not muddy or sharp.

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #3,110 of 14,678

What type of music do you listen to?  If it's not classical, then I'm with you.

Everything including that actually.

For classical - mostly violin pieces.

My x's sounded much more natural for violins than the 800's.

This was my main material when comparing the two.

http://www.hdtracks.co.uk/corelli-telemann-leclair-handel-albicastro-violin-sonatas

Stunning recording. Click on track 4.

The x's (and as I'm hearing about the he-1000's too) are great all rounder's.

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #3,112 of 14,678

http://www.hdtracks.co.uk/corelli-telemann-leclair-handel-albicastro-violin-sonatas

Same here, many types of music but when classical mostly violins/Baroque.
I'll be auditioning the X as well when I go to listen to the XC but I guess closed will have my preference as usual.

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3,113 of 14,678
  Has anybody seen this video?

Can anybody relate the gentleman on the lefts comments about the treble not being too impressive?

Dunno, but I see from the vertical rather than horizontal grill pattern that this one in the video is a version that precedes the one that jude and musicman59 reported on about a month ago.  Maybe sound has changed a bit too (jude did call the more recent version with horizontal grill "more airy and open sounding" than his recollection of the earlier ones he is wearing in the video).  Here is jude's report... musicman59's is about two pages later in the same thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/2040#post_11422631

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #3,114 of 14,678

This isn't the first time the XC is recommeneded to me or at least attracts my attention in a post, and I did hate the LCD2, no idea about their whole house sound though.
Lucklily I found a place where I will be able to listen to just about all the top cans I am interested in for a whole day, including the HE-1000 and XC. No easy feat here in europe though.

I don't consider myself a basshead and I'm not into EDM but I do like extension for both highs and lows, as long as it's clean, not muddy or sharp.

I think you'll like the LCD-XCs.  And from the sounds of it, the HE-1000 looks to be a choice to consider.  Frank Iaconne raves about them and he and I appear to have the same tastes when it comes to headphones.  When he says that classical music sounds terrific out of the HE-1000s, there's no choice to sit up and avidly listen to him. If I get the HD800 sound with a bit more warmth (especially when it comes to the sound of violins) out of the HE-1000s, then they could actually be, at least for me, the best pair of headphones ever made.  Not buying them, though, until I get at least six months to a year worth of impressions from the people whose opinion I respect at head-fi (one thing is for sure, I'm not reading any reviews from 6-moons!). 

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #3,115 of 14,678
I was just reading in another thread that the HD800 has a stock silver plated copper cable, verified it on the Senn website.
I see their new balanced cable is copper only.
Wonder if that changes anything to the bass ...
Anyone have experience with a balnced HD800 and the new Senn cable?

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #3,116 of 14,678

With source/amp that is warm-sounding, the HD800s soar.  Using the Auralic Vega DAC with the Ray Samuels Darkstar, using a copper cable with the HD800s, and they sound amazing.  Then again, it took 3.5K (vega) and 3.5K (Darkstar; balanced all the way) to get to this point.  With lesser gear, I must admit, the HD800s generally sound thin and unimpressive.  Whoever decides to buy the HD800 has to go in balls-deep!

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #3,117 of 14,678

I think you'll like the LCD-XCs.  And from the sounds of it, the HE-1000 looks to be a choice to consider.  Frank Iaconne raves about them and he and I appear to have the same tastes when it comes to headphones.  When he says that classical music sounds terrific out of the HE-1000s, there's no choice to sit up and avidly listen to him. If I get the HD800 sound with a bit more warmth (especially when it comes to the sound of violins) out of the HE-1000s, then they could actually be, at least for me, the best pair of headphones ever made.  Not buying them, though, until I get at least six months to a year worth of impressions from the people whose opinion I respect at head-fi (one thing is for sure, I'm not reading any reviews from 6-moons!). 

Indeed, I find the 6-Moons reviews infamous as well.
I won't buy them based on reviews though, as soon as they are out and I can take a few days off I'm going to listen to them and a lot of other cans.
And no idea what pair I'm gonna buy.

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #3,118 of 14,678

With source/amp that is warm-sounding, the HD800s soar.  Using the Auralic Vega DAC with the Ray Samuels Darkstar, using a copper cable with the HD800s, and they sound amazing.  Then again, it took 3.5K (vega) and 3.5K (Darkstar; balanced all the way) to get to this point.  With lesser gear, I must admit, the HD800s generally sound thin and unimpressive.  Whoever decides to buy the HD800 has to go in balls-deep!

And now I see you mention a copper cable as well?
See my second above post.

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #3,120 of 14,678
  Would you prefer getting JH Layla over HE1000? (financial issue otherwise i would buy them both).

To me IEMs are a poor substitute for full-sized headphones...Nah!
  I was just reading in another thread that the HD800 has a stock silver plated copper cable, verified it on the Senn website.
I see their new balanced cable is copper only.
Wonder if that changes anything to the bass ...
Anyone have experience with a balnced HD800 and the new Senn cable?

I had no idea and, no, have no experience with the new Senn cable.  Silver adds clarity (which the HD800 does not need besides the one it already has) and copper adds euphony (which the HD800 needs a bit of).  So, balanced copper cable is the best way to go (i.e., HD800 loves balanced cables for some reason).  So I'm thinking that the new Senn balance cable will make them soar.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back