HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 8, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #14,401 of 20,374
Not that I'm defending the Darkstar, again I've never heard it nor care to, but I'm fairly certain considering it's a SRPP, it is using fets not opamps, so I'm confused as to how the gainclone is the same design? 
confused.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #14,402 of 20,374
Not that I'm defending the Darkstar, again I've never heard it nor care to, but I'm fairly certain considering it's a SRPP, it is using fets not opamps, so I'm confused as to how the gainclone is the same design? :confused:
whats a gainclone?

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #14,403 of 20,374
  I agree it shouldn't.  There are lots of simple designs out there that are free to rip and put in a box for little money, and there should be some stuff on the market like that.  The darkstar is a good example of someone overcharging for nice case work for an already existing design (for those who don't know, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainclone).

As hifimanrookie pointed out not all designs are equal and you get into R&D costs, boutique parts, original design, etc.  A lot of amplifier designers are on a quest to get the absolute best sound and are constantly asking how they can make something sound even better than their best work. This of course varies company to company.

I was assuming he linked to what he is saying the Darkstar is, or is he just saying that is an affordable DIY design.

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #14,404 of 20,374
I was assuming he linked to what he is saying the Darkstar is, or is he just saying that is an affordable DIY design.

Oh now i understand...well i will shut up..dont know anything about that,..

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #14,405 of 20,374
I picked up a very nice amp through one of the diy forums here in Oz
It has Hammond trans and choke feeding a Sophia 274b with Pio follower cap in a separate chassis , separated power feeds into the amp one line for heaters one for plates
Main amp is WE 421a into 7308 Amperex with an Alps blue velvet pot and dual outputs
Price was slightly less than the parts cost , many of the enthusiast diy builders enjoy building more than using it seems and so often sell off the latest build to finance the next
I admit I was very lucky but I have seen a similar amp made by a German builder and quite a few b22 if you like SS , it's just a matter of keeping an eye on the forums

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #14,406 of 20,374
  Not that I'm defending the Darkstar, again I've never heard it nor care to, but I'm fairly certain considering it's a SRPP, it is using fets not opamps, so I'm confused as to how the gainclone is the same design? 
confused.gif

You could be right that it's not the same. I could be misinformed so please excuse me if so.  I've seen a lot of people independently make such remarks though.

Here's some info http://www.head-fi.org/t/545796/rsa-dark-star-se-and-balanced-dual-chassis-amp-designed-to-drive-most-any-hp/120

People with no electronics experience regularly comment on how gear is built, without question... Why should someone WITH experience with very similar circuits be excluded from offering an opinion?

Exactly.  Any claims of this being "awesome" are made by people who just look at the fancy casework and have no idea just how much crap that circuit and PSU really are.  I've been looking at this for a while now and I do think this is the worst thing Ray has ever made and considering just how bad the A-10 is that says quite a bit.  One just has to look at the datasheet for the OPA541 to see how horrible a choice it is for audio use and something like the LM3886 would be a far better choice.  Still that would just make it a cheap gainclone amp that would be murdered by something properly designed like the Krell Ari suggested or something like a Firstwatt F5.  I feel very sorry for anybody who would buy this and I'm very interested to see this measured in full.  I'm sure some of the claims Ray is making will not stand up to scrutiny..

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #14,408 of 20,374
Uhhhh reading through that thread it is just 1 poster(spritzer) slinging conjecture around without knowing at all what is inside the amp, and getting warned by Jude in the process. I'd hardly call that evidence.

Yes Stan, I want the...f3? Or f4, whichever is a pure current buffer.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #14,409 of 20,374
Uhhhh reading through that thread it is just 1 poster(spritzer) slinging conjecture around without knowing at all what is inside the amp, and getting warned by Jude in the process. I'd hardly call that evidence.

Yes Stan, I want the...f3? Or f4, whichever is a pure current buffer.

I think that'll be the F4. Keep in mind that it has no voltage gain so you will need probably need a preamp.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #14,410 of 20,374
I think that'll be the F4. Keep in mind that it has no voltage gain so you will need probably need a preamp.

Yeah, I can use the Mjolnir as the preamp, and the volume control. It just sounds so cool to have current gain, I'm curious how that would sound on a variety of headphones. I'll openly admit that is more my intrigue with the concept than trying to gain any SQ

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #14,411 of 20,374
Yeah, I can use the Mjolnir as the preamp, and the volume control. It just sounds so cool to have current gain, I'm curious how that would sound on a variety of headphones. I'll openly admit that is more my intrigue with the concept than trying to gain any SQ

I suspect that the HE-500 sounds just as good with any amp that can deliver quality, no matter the topology, good is good. Although it's fun to experiment.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #14,412 of 20,374
I suspect that the HE-500 sounds just as good with any amp that can deliver quality, no matter the topology, good is good. Although it's fun to experiment.
q.u.a.l.i.t.y. That has always been my keyword concerning the right amp for ur he500. :wink:

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #14,414 of 20,374
any of you guys considered building your own Q.U.A.L.I.T.Y amplifier according to your specific needs 
redface.gif
 ?
the look on my face if I build my own starter DIY amp and troubleshoot some problem in it for weeks because I messed up somewhere but then fixing it and listening to it for the first time would be priceless, imagine the emotional attachment 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #14,415 of 20,374
any of you guys considered building your own Q.U.A.L.I.T.Y amplifier according to your specific needs :xf_eek:  ?

the look on my face if I build my own starter DIY amp and troubleshoot some problem in it for weeks because I messed up somewhere but then fixing it and listening to it for the first time would be priceless, imagine the emotional attachment 
normal_smile%20.gif

I wish i could..but i lack the technical knowledge and lack the money for the very expensive professional equipment to do it and test it....so i let someone else do it for me..but he let me hear every step he did by i think more then 100 mails..so i was very well connected to the built ..and it turned out With very good results if i may say so. But i respect people deeply doing it themselves :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back