1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jamato8, Apr 26, 2011.
First

Back
951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960
962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971
Next

Last
  1. Ultramus
    Not that I'm defending the Darkstar, again I've never heard it nor care to, but I'm fairly certain considering it's a SRPP, it is using fets not opamps, so I'm confused as to how the gainclone is the same design? [​IMG]

2. hifimanrookie
    whats a gainclone?

3. Ultramus
    I was assuming he linked to what he is saying the Darkstar is, or is he just saying that is an affordable DIY design.

4. hifimanrookie
    Oh now i understand...well i will shut up..dont know anything about that,..

5. Dogmatrix
    I picked up a very nice amp through one of the diy forums here in Oz
    It has Hammond trans and choke feeding a Sophia 274b with Pio follower cap in a separate chassis , separated power feeds into the amp one line for heaters one for plates
    Main amp is WE 421a into 7308 Amperex with an Alps blue velvet pot and dual outputs
    Price was slightly less than the parts cost , many of the enthusiast diy builders enjoy building more than using it seems and so often sell off the latest build to finance the next
    I admit I was very lucky but I have seen a similar amp made by a German builder and quite a few b22 if you like SS , it's just a matter of keeping an eye on the forums

6. Llloyd

You could be right that it's not the same. I could be misinformed so please excuse me if so.  I've seen a lot of people independently make such remarks though.

Here's some info http://www.head-fi.org/t/545796/rsa-dark-star-se-and-balanced-dual-chassis-amp-designed-to-drive-most-any-hp/120

7. StanD
    I just took a peek at the schematics for the FirstWatt F5, it looks interesting.

8. Ultramus
    Uhhhh reading through that thread it is just 1 poster(spritzer) slinging conjecture around without knowing at all what is inside the amp, and getting warned by Jude in the process. I'd hardly call that evidence.

Yes Stan, I want the...f3? Or f4, whichever is a pure current buffer.

9. StanD
    I think that'll be the F4. Keep in mind that it has no voltage gain so you will need probably need a preamp.

10. Ultramus
    Yeah, I can use the Mjolnir as the preamp, and the volume control. It just sounds so cool to have current gain, I'm curious how that would sound on a variety of headphones. I'll openly admit that is more my intrigue with the concept than trying to gain any SQ

11. StanD
    I suspect that the HE-500 sounds just as good with any amp that can deliver quality, no matter the topology, good is good. Although it's fun to experiment.

12. hifimanrookie
    q.u.a.l.i.t.y. That has always been my keyword concerning the right amp for ur he500. :wink:

13. StanD
    And capacitors. [​IMG]

14. shayson1357
    any of you guys considered building your own Q.U.A.L.I.T.Y amplifier according to your specific needs [​IMG] ?
    the look on my face if I build my own starter DIY amp and troubleshoot some problem in it for weeks because I messed up somewhere but then fixing it and listening to it for the first time would be priceless, imagine the emotional attachment [​IMG] .

15. hifimanrookie
    I wish i could..but i lack the technical knowledge and lack the money for the very expensive professional equipment to do it and test it....so i let someone else do it for me..but he let me hear every step he did by i think more then 100 mails..so i was very well connected to the built ..and it turned out With very good results if i may say so. But i respect people deeply doing it themselves :wink:

First

Back
951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960
962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971
Next

Last