HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 26, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #20,371 of 20,374
I wou
I'm with you and bagwell on this whole concept................I've auditioned/owned/tested/shared over 60 headphones over the last 10 years. It was a fun thing to keep trying new ones and I learned a lot...............mostly what I like, what I don't like and ended up with the HE-500, HE-6SE and a Denon LA7000 for the closed back side as the headphones I listen to regularly and am finally content. Still have a Denon MD2000 that I use at work occasionally and still love it as well as a Pioneer SE Master 1 that I'm going to sell as soon as I get off my ass and do it. Like it a lot but it gets no play..................as well as a Beats Studio 3 (yeah, I know, sacrilege) that I use for travel and for cutting the grass but the HFM pair get all my use at home through the speaker taps on my Pioneer Spec system.

Never thought I'd get to this point but it was tiring after a while to keep buying/selling/trading and maybe, just maybe, I'm good for the duration. :)
Very Meaningful post. You were one of the first people here I locked onto and have read a lot of your stuff over time. So this is a near epiphany for me.

Audiophile-ism can do things to you. Changes your tastes in music, perhaps even one's choice of friends and free time spent. Happens in a lot of fields too. It's a means to an end and if searching for the nth degree means warping pursuit of more important things - or balance in ones life - that's not good.

Some have innate wisdom on these matters and others have it thrust upon them - due to job loss, retirement, family, etc. What's that thing Taoists and Karmic Yogis say? "Eat when hungry, sleep when tired". Add to that listen to music, then put the equipment away until its needed again. Or maybe play some or hum to oneself....

Added: No transducer is perfect, but, does the music come through mostly as intended - that's the bar. Sins of omission easier to accept than sins of commission.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #20,372 of 20,374
A Secret Brotherhood lives here on head-fi — the brotherhood of HE-500 aficionados. You need to have been around for some time to have gotten the HE-500 when it was the new thing from HiFiMAN. Latecomers have had to be convinced and educated by these senior HE-500 lovers. I feel privileged to have an HE-500. I feel particularly foolish to have sold my first one in a fit of headphone herd trimming, and I feel particularly fortunate to have been able to snag another one. I love this headphone!
It's 6 years since I got mine. Last I checked it was running in 2nd place in the what is the one headphone you'd never sell thread - HD-800/S in 1st.

I've said more than enough, either you're in or you're out. Good health to all remaining HE-500's and their owners.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #20,373 of 20,374
I've had mine for over 12 years now, actually went on HF retirement with them for about 10 years till recently where I got the Schiit Midgard to replace my dying EF5.

Brotherhood of HE-500 goes hard. Still a banging headphone today, somewhat feel obligated to bring the ol 500s to meets in order to spread the good word but I haven't done anything HF related in so long.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #20,374 of 20,374
Mine are still going strong, as is the HE6 4 screw. Party on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back