HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 14, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #20,341 of 20,374
Do you have a guide on how to perform this fuzzor mod?
Between here and SBAF (see the 500 and HE-6 OG threads) there are dozens. - some with pics..

1. obtain a roll of felt 1" wide, at least 2' long. Thickness of 2mm is probably ideal, but 1.5mm (about 1/16") - 3 mm range is what you want, no thicker

2. take off the cups, measure the width and length of the stators (each one), write down the results. Note I also cut a very very thin strip for brass metal support pole and cover that too

3. take an exacto blade (scissors will not work well and drive one crazy)

4. apply

Notes: the power of the magnets inside is very strong, do not use tools of any sort that are magnetic. make sure the workspace is clean (esp from metal shavings, random stuff like paper clips, seriously.

5. reassemble and enjoy.

Just to be sure that my advancing age hasn't led me to giving incomplete advice, check out a few desriptions (look between 2012-2018 - 90% plus of the guides must have been written in that time frame.

I've written on the other steps I've taken in this thread, to wit:

1. PEQ
2. Fuzzor
3. Pad
4. Rear Screen
5. Cable
6. Dynamat (optional) I'm a prig about resonance of the cups and tubby midbass. If you are used to unamplified music and/or audiophile type recordings maybe you are a candidate, but, if you are a rock n' roller you won't notice, or will more likely like it. Anyhow it's cheap, has other uses, and really cleans up the intelligibility of bass instruments of different types playing different lines.

Enjoy the process and the results

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #20,342 of 20,374
Have you tried HE6SE though? I find what you said true of that headphone also.
Neither SE can challenge the rise time/smack of the 6 screw. I had a 6 screw in-house twice on loan (thanks @SilverEars!), and over 100 times my eyes shut from the impact - inadvertent. Thousands of hours on the SE and maybe 80 on the SE v2 - and not once - and on the same DAC/AMP, and the same tracks. The Abyss 1266 Phi is the only other headphone thats ever made me do that. They are in a class of their own (of the ones I have heard) - in that regard.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #20,343 of 20,374
The headband is kinda why I sold my HE500. Even with the zmf headband cushion the weight was s bit much if you don't have much hair on top. I didn't want to bother with a headband swap either.
But they were the headphones I would grab whenever someone came to the house and I wanted to share the hifi experience with them.
We all differ. For me sound > every other factor ('cept cost). I borrowed the MD-4XX headband, and it works great, lighter, better pad. But I wonder why people listen to headphones (at home in comfort, not work) not reclined in a comfy chair so the weight isn't an issue. A HD-600 isn't a problem, but some of the planars are heavy no doubt.

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #20,344 of 20,374
We all differ. For me sound > every other factor ('cept cost). I borrowed the MD-4XX headband, and it works great, lighter, better pad. But I wonder why people listen to headphones (at home in comfort, not work) not reclined in a comfy chair so the weight isn't an issue. A HD-600 isn't a problem, but some of the planars are heavy no doubt.
Actually that's when I used the 500s the most, right before bedtime, I had a headphone rig for night sessions and the weight wasn't an issue. But primarily for me WFH time is headphone listening time so I'm usually at the desk.

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #20,346 of 20,374
Hi all just wondering if anyone has experience with Schiit Midgard. On paper they have more than enough power for HE500s but was curious how they paired with the HE-500s or similar sounding cans.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #20,348 of 20,374
Dekoni sheepskin elite pads just landed. First time to replace the OG pads which I believe are already 11 years old.

Dual 3.5 mod and cable by my cable maker in Manila, PH for those curious. He makes great cables for a fraction of the "normal" prices. Link to his instagram below. He should be able to ship globally via FedEX.

https://www.instagram.com/jbc.audio/

20240117_105335.jpg
20240117_105403.jpg

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #20,349 of 20,374
Hello, I have a he500 and I am very happy that I did not sell them, I had problems with them, I listened to them and did not even suspect that there was something wrong with them, and so I listened to them for almost a year, and when they started to sound very bad, I was recommended to clean the connectors, because over time a dielectric appears, due to which the signal does not reach the headphones well, I cleaned it, everything became great. But it turns out that this is not the main problem, but the main problem with the internal wiring, due to which the sound became without low frequencies and without volume, I removed the grills and simply straightened the wiring a little and after that the sound appeared as it should be in real 500. I heard them real sound after one year. I listen to them on a schiit Jotunheim amplifier and a pcm56 multibit jack, and the sound is so beautiful that I cry every time I listen to them, the middle frequencies and in general the whole sound is beautiful at 500, there is no desire to change either the ear pads or the cable and everything is fine with them.

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #20,350 of 20,374
Hello, I have a he500 and I am very happy that I did not sell them, I had problems with them, I listened to them and did not even suspect that there was something wrong with them, and so I listened to them for almost a year, and when they started to sound very bad, I was recommended to clean the connectors, because over time a dielectric appears, due to which the signal does not reach the headphones well, I cleaned it, everything became great. But it turns out that this is not the main problem, but the main problem with the internal wiring, due to which the sound became without low frequencies and without volume, I removed the grills and simply straightened the wiring a little and after that the sound appeared as it should be in real 500. I heard them real sound after one year. I listen to them on a schiit Jotunheim amplifier and a pcm56 multibit jack, and the sound is so beautiful that I cry every time I listen to them, the middle frequencies and in general the whole sound is beautiful at 500, there is no desire to change either the ear pads or the cable and everything is fine with them.
my problem with the stock cable was that it was really really stiff and not ergonomic. plus it was too long. then the connectors were non standard and hard to get off and get back on. didnt have a problem on how they sounded.

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #20,351 of 20,374
my problem with the stock cable was that it was really really stiff and not ergonomic.
I thought the original cable was that silver plated stuff that's very flexible, and microphonic w/ splashy highs ?
plus it was too long. then the connectors were non standard and hard to get off and get back on. didnt have a problem on how they sounded.
the way to get them on so they stay is get one side on, than grab the connector and counter twist the other side about 4-5 turns before putting them on - stays for months.

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #20,352 of 20,374
Hi all just wondering if anyone has experience with Schiit Midgard. On paper they have more than enough power for HE500s but was curious how they paired with the HE-500s or similar sounding cans.
Planars like juice, you'll have enough. Haven't heard that amp in particular - should work fine

Jan 18, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #20,353 of 20,374
I thought the original cable was that silver plated stuff that's very flexible, and microphonic w/ splashy highs ?

the way to get them on so they stay is get one side on, than grab the connector and counter twist the other side about 4-5 turns before putting them on - stays for months.

thats the cable hahah. didnt have an issue with the highs on it was stiff. you can actually fold it and it will stay that way.

no problem putting them on but putting them on without a twist needed effort. just kept it on a headphone stand when not in use since it was too much of an effort to remove and put the cable back on.

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #20,354 of 20,374
no problem putting them on but putting them on without a twist needed effort. just kept it on a headphone stand when not in use since it was too much of an effort to remove and put the cable back on.
I have a Black Dragon with those HFM tips on y 500 and I try to never take them off.

Jan 18, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #20,355 of 20,374
For some reason the right channel of my beloved HE-500 goes significantly quieter whenever the connector is touched. The slightest movement of the cable makes the sound unbalanced. This happened on two different cables and on 2 separate amps. I suspect the wiring/soldering points to start breaking contact. Unfortunately i have no idea how to fix this (or if this can be fixed at all)... any ideas?

Best regards

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back