**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 26, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #9,033 of 22,116
Quote:
Maybe one of the controls, volume, balance or?
Scratchy pots are also common but clear up when played with

Maybe, I will give it a try later when I am at home then :) 
Quote:
Your marantz has a ground point, put a wire there and connect it to a ground in your electrical system. I have had a ground problem in the past, try touching the receiver when the hum happens, if it changes its a grounding problem

I will need to check this out. I'll test out if touching the receiver causes any changes. May need to look up this wire to the ground point though. Haven't heard that suggestion yet so thanks for the input. Would having other electronics mess things up too? 

I have my router next to my computer tower so I initially thought that may affect the source but many people believe the Marantz is the culprit.  

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #9,034 of 22,116
Just got my HE-400 from head-amp (thanks for your business Justin). I'm blown away right now considering the best quality headphones I've ever heard were the ath-m50. Made me realize I need to update my library of songs to get ride of the low quality ones and replace them with flacs, they seem much less forgiving in that department. I'm glad I pulled  the trigger on those, again, thanks for this thread and all the info and feedback you guys been providing.  I might attempt the jerg mod in the near future once i order extra pads.

Thanks head-fi!

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #9,035 of 22,116
Hello guys, I've a budget @ 1000 euro and I'm the process to buy a DAC and an AMP for my Hifiman HE-400.

I've really fallen for the REGA Dac, but its ~700 euro then then I only got 300 for the amp, I was thinking the Rega Ear MK II  or Musical Fidelity VCAN MK II.

Is this really stupid to buy a more expensive DAC then AMP? Any other suggestion in my price range?

Preferably from European brands.

edit: 

Gear can be colored towards bass heavy, fun and silky if anything.

Don't need portability, it will be used next to my computer only!

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #9,036 of 22,116
Hello guys, I've a budget @ 1000 euro and I'm the process to buy a DAC and an AMP for my Hifiman HE-400.

I've really fallen for the REGA Dac, but its ~700 euro then then I only got 300 for the amp, I was thinking the Rega Ear MK II  or Musical Fidelity VCAN MK II.

Is this really stupid to buy a more expensive DAC then AMP? Any other suggestion in my price range?

Preferably from European brands.
How about a turntable? I'm looking into one, and once you mentioned Rega I thought of it... I'll be getting an RP1, a cheap DAC, and a nicer headphone amp. :D

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #9,037 of 22,116
Quote:
How about a turntable? I'm looking into one, and once you mentioned Rega I thought of it... I'll be getting an RP1, a cheap DAC, and a nicer headphone amp.
biggrin.gif

I don't have any vinyls nor do I plan to buy any =P
Music will be played from my computer only.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #9,038 of 22,116
I don't have any vinyls nor do I plan to buy any =P
Music will be played from my computer only.
Have you seen the Resonessence Concero? I heard that it sounded the Matrix X-Sabre which I heard at the meet and was great! :D

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #9,039 of 22,116
So, I exchanged my HE-400 for the HE-500. I must say I was very pleased within the first 30 seconds of a song through the HE-500. To my ears, the HE-500 has a fuller, cohesive sound that suits my tastes. Interestingly I notice more bass impact with the HE-500 although the HE-400 seemed more controlled. The HE-400 definitely is a good headphone, but for me, the cost difference is well worth the upgrade. 

As an aside, I publicly would like to thank Justin at Headamp for top notch service and incredibly fast shipping. Without a doubt, this is the guy to buy from!

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #9,040 of 22,116
So, I exchanged my HE-400 for the HE-500. I must say I was very pleased within the first 30 seconds of a song through the HE-500. To my ears, the HE-500 has a fuller, cohesive sound that suits my tastes. Interestingly I notice more bass impact with the HE-500 although the HE-400 seemed more controlled. The HE-400 definitely is a good headphone, but for me, the cost difference is well worth the upgrade. 

As an aside, I publicly would like to thank Justin at Headamp for top notch service and incredibly fast shipping. Without a doubt, this is the guy to buy from!

How long did it take Justin to ship them? Did you get tracking # via email? I've ordered B-stock HE-400 on Monday at 7 AM and am curious when they'll get shipped.

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #9,041 of 22,116
Quote:
So, I exchanged my HE-400 for the HE-500. I must say I was very pleased within the first 30 seconds of a song through the HE-500. To my ears, the HE-500 has a fuller, cohesive sound that suits my tastes. Interestingly I notice more bass impact with the HE-500 although the HE-400 seemed more controlled. The HE-400 definitely is a good headphone, but for me, the cost difference is well worth the upgrade. 

I'm glad to read your impression as I'm selling my HE 400's to get the HE 500's as I can't stand the treble spike on the 400's. How's the treble on the HE 500's compared to the HE 400's?

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #9,043 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm glad to read your impression as I'm selling my HE 400's to get the HE 500's as I can't stand the treble spike on the 400's. How's the treble on the HE 500's compared to the HE 400's?

I need to spend more time with the HE-500 as I just received them, but so far I don't notice anything remarkable regarding treble. They sound quite balanced throughout the frequency range.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back