**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #9,001 of 22,116
Quote:
I got a rev. 4 for that price a few weeks ago, don't get it.
wink.gif

Rev. 4?  Is that the latest one? I was under impression there were two, with third being the defected treble-happy ones.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #9,002 of 22,116
Rev. 4?  Is that the latest one? I was under impression there were two, with third being the defected treble-happy ones.
Rev 4 is pretty much rev. 2, it just came after rev. 3, so they didn't send rev. 3s out. :wink:

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #9,003 of 22,116
Quote:

Correct.  Justin of HeadAmp is a great choice.  My personal experience with a purchase was one that was very well handled.  If and when the time to purchase happens, please consider using the following page on the site here to go through to the vendor.  This will provide feedback on the effectiveness of advertising via Head-Fi.

http://www.head-fi.org/sponsors/

Got a reply from Justin w. looks like b-stock HE-400 is 345$. Does b-stock typically mean returns, refurbs, and open boxes? He said they will still carry full warranty and a 30 day return window. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #9,005 of 22,116
Quote:
I found a used HE-400 Rev1 for sale, 330$ shipped. What do you guys think? From what I've read there were reliability issues with rev1 and some sonic differences. Could someone with more in-depth knowledge shine some light on this? Thanks.

What do I think about the HE-400, Rev. 1 headphones?  I've posted a comment here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/8820#post_9270412

Quote:
Got a reply from Justin w. looks like b-stock HE-400 is 345$. Does b-stock typically mean returns, refurbs, and open boxes? He said they will still carry full warranty and a 30 day return window. 

It could just be a simple return of an item from a buyer.  Still having the ability to return the item and keep the full warranty is a great option.
Quote:
Justin is a great guy.

He doesn't like to reply to my questions here on the thread but I like him nonetheless.

He's a busy guy.  Also, the question as to how an amp designed to drive Stax headphones would work with orthodynamic headphones may have been a bit hard to answer in such a forum setting.  I've never been to a headphone meet when a pair of headphones, other than Stax, were connected to such an amp.  It is my understanding that amps such as the Blue Hawaii were designed to power the likes of Stax.  However, the GS-X amps were designed for other headphone designs and put out around an honest watt of power.  They also have their own dedicated power supplies which reside in a separate cabinet / case.

Can I personally provide more information than this?  I honestly can't because playing up in the mega-buck amp leagues isn't necessarily where I want to go.  I like to be able to afford to head my home, put gas in my car and food on the table.  
size]

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #9,006 of 22,116
I'm thinking that the driver versions in the HE-400 is creating some confusion.  Admittedly, I don't own a pair of HE-400s anymore.  However, maybe a simple slogan would be better than referring to the separate version numbers?

For example (in reference to the color of the plastic casing / housing for the driver):

1. If it's cream or black, take a step back.

1. If it's white, it's alright.

popcorn.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #9,007 of 22,116
Quote:

What do I think about the HE-400, Rev. 1 headphones?  I've posted a comment here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/8820#post_9270412

It could just be a simple return of an item from a buyer.  Still having the ability to return the item and keep the full warranty is a great option.

He's a busy guy.  Also, the question as to how an amp designed to drive Stax headphones would work with orthodynamic headphones may have been a bit hard to answer in such a forum setting.  I've never been to a headphone meet when a pair of headphones, other than Stax, were connected to such an amp.  It is my understanding that amps such as the Blue Hawaii were designed to power the likes of Stax.  However, the GS-X amps were designed for other headphone designs and put out around an honest watt of power.  They also have their own dedicated power supplies which reside in a separate cabinet / case.

Can I personally provide more information than this?  I honestly can't because playing up in the mega-buck amp leagues isn't necessarily where I want to go.  I like to be able to afford to head my home, put gas in my car and food on the table.  
size]

Actually I was already expecting an answer like that, but I asked it anyway just out of curiosity
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #9,008 of 22,116
Quote:
Some pics of the fabric I finally attached to the J$ pads. Turned out pretty well I think. I had to cut up that one part a little so I could pull it tighter in that area.

I've got a set of J$ pads and interested in this mod. What type of fabric is this and how's the sound compared to no fabric?

Steve

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #9,013 of 22,116
Mar 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #9,014 of 22,116
After a few months with the HE-400 and reading this Thread constantly, i have to say im keeping my HE-400 and im not moving forward (as i originally planed to) to higher end models, at least in the upcoing year/s

While I do find a few weak spots on thoese headphones, as long as the sound source is good, i keep enjoying them inmensly.

If only they would be lighter... After a 12 hour use i feel like my neck has gone so stiff that no more blood goes to my brain.

Ive been trying to get Velour Pads for about 3 months now, but my local store dosent seem to care much unless you buy something expensive.

Is there a way to get some pads faster? I wanted some beyerdynamic pads, they look really nice and comfy.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #9,015 of 22,116
Quote:
After a few months with the HE-400 and reading this Thread constantly, i have to say im keeping my HE-400 and im not moving forward (as i originally planed to) to higher end models, at least in the upcoing year/s

While I do find a few weak spots on thoese headphones, as long as the sound source is good, i keep enjoying them inmensly.

If only they would be lighter... After a 12 hour use i feel like my neck has gone so stiff that no more blood goes to my brain.

Ive been trying to get Velour Pads for about 3 months now, but my local store dosent seem to care much unless you buy something expensive.

Is there a way to get some pads faster? I wanted some beyerdynamic pads, they look really nice and comfy.

You can get them right from Head Direct, costs $10: http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=117

I'm on the same page with you about comfort, though the velours make it a bit better. I tried the Beyer velours this morning. Two things: 1) You've got to heat the Beyer velours up with a heater or hair dryer to stretch because they are a bit smaller diameter than the HiFiMAN mounting rings. 2) The Beyer pads (at the least the 770 V pads) don't have an integrated fabric screen, it's a separate piece and considerably thicker foam. I taped it on the the mounting ring anyway just to see what the effect would be and it seemed to darken the sound quite a bit. I'm guessing it stripped out treble and upper mids. The comfort was much better, though, so I'd like to try again but with actual fabric that better matches the stock screen. It might be worth it because Beyer velours are really much more comfortable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back