**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #9,016 of 22,116
Quote:
I've got a set of J$ pads and interested in this mod. What type of fabric is this and how's the sound compared to no fabric?

Steve

I honestly don't know what "kind" of fabric it is. I just went to a Jo'Anns store and found the closest thing I could to the original fabric on the HE-400 pads. I took one of those pads in with me to compare. It was like $1 for 3 yards of it or something. There are a lot at the store that would work but this one was the closest to the original by far. Many of the fabrics there were at first glance were fine but they would have been too thick or stiff.

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #9,017 of 22,116
Quote:

I honestly don't know what "kind" of fabric it is. I just went to a Jo'Anns store and found the closest thing I could to the original fabric on the HE-400 pads. I took one of those pads in with me to compare. It was like $1 for 3 yards of it or something. There are a lot at the store that would work but this one was the closest to the original by far. Many of the fabrics there were at first glance were fine but they would have been too thick or stiff.

I went to JoAnns originally, but couldn't find anything (may have needed to look harder) so I ended up trying a pair of pantyhose, which is working rather well so far and would be a good alternative since it's easy to find.  It's more like the velour mesh, only finer.  I may have to have another look at JoAnns to see if I can find the same thing and give it a try.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #9,019 of 22,116
I think these are going back. The fun aspect and the sound stage (after the electrical tape mod) and the rugged looks I love but my ES3X spoiled me. Female vocals sound absolutely amaaaazing on those and everywhere is a step up besides the bass and sound stage really. Then again thats comparing an $800 ciem to $400 HPs. Going to try mad dogs next unless anyone else has a recommendation for a female vocal / vocal trance centric HP with near HE400 bass and soundstage w.o its trebly peak? Not HD650 as im not really into mid bass as much as sub bass and I do like a more balanced sound.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #9,020 of 22,116
Quote:
I think these are going back. The fun aspect and the sound stage (after the electrical tape mod) and the rugged looks I love but my ES3X spoiled me. Female vocals sound absolutely amaaaazing on those and everywhere is a step up besides the bass and sound stage really. Then again thats comparing an $800 ciem to $400 HPs. Going to try mad dogs next unless anyone else has a recommendation for a female vocal / vocal trance centric HP with near HE400 bass and soundstage w.o its trebly peak? Not HD650 as im not really into mid bass as much as sub bass and I do like a more balanced sound.

LCD-2s :D

(but a more realistic compromise would probably be HE-500. Bass is slower, but balance I will concede to be better. Especially vocals.)

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #9,023 of 22,116
^^ but you can have 3 MD's for the price of the lcd and also have $100 left for music!! 
size]

Or one MD, and a really nice amp and dac. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #9,024 of 22,116
Guess I ll try the Mad Dogs and go LCD2 when I get a bit older :p. HE 500 a bit too out of my budget. Sucks that I have to pay $30 CA tax, making it equal price to b-stock HE 400s.

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #9,025 of 22,116
Quote:
how well do the 400's go balanced?

Not too many people have the HE-400s in a balanced setup. It's overkill. I myself will be going balanced in a month or two when I get a balanced cable for my amp, so I'll see how that works out but in all honesty, I would just save your money for something else and settle for less.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #9,026 of 22,116
Hey everyone I brought this up a while back but still haven't found a fix for it. I've been using my HE-400 with my marantz and it has been sounding great but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with some static hiss that comes on and off at completely random times from my headphones? It doesn't get louder with the volume. Just comes on at random times then magically goes away. I even checked in the vintage receiver thread. At first I believed the issue was the Marantz but it has already been repaired, maintained, cleaned and restored. I even bought a power conditioner because I am quite sure at this point it is most likely my apartment's power line or something of the sort. I already have my equipment hooked to a power conditioner but the static still shows up.

Checked several online sources or old threads and most people who had this issue were recommended to take the receiver in for repair or get a power conditioner. Sadly I have done both and it has not fixed the problem D: 

Does anyone have any input or possible fixes to this?  Thanks in advance 

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #9,027 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey everyone I brought this up a while back but still haven't found a fix for it. I've been using my HE-400 with my marantz and it has been sounding great but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with some static hiss that comes on and off at completely random times from my headphones? It doesn't get louder with the volume. Just comes on at random times then magically goes away. I even checked in the vintage receiver thread. At first I believed the issue was the Marantz but it has already been repaired, maintained, cleaned and restored. I even bought a power conditioner because I am quite sure at this point it is most likely my apartment's power line or something of the sort. I already have my equipment hooked to a power conditioner but the static still shows up.

Checked several online sources or old threads and most people who had this issue were recommended to take the receiver in for repair or get a power conditioner. Sadly I have done both and it has not fixed the problem D: 

Does anyone have any input or possible fixes to this?  Thanks in advance 

Ground? Most Marantz equipment; at least the Sun Valley era has it on the chassis. any wire will do right to the center post on the socket cover. Maybe just reverse the plug. Does the static/hum happen with speakers as well?

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #9,028 of 22,116
So I sent the Stax SR-407 off to the next person and plugged in my HE-400 again. I have to say, I'm basically blown away every time I listen to something else and come back to the HE-400. I have a different kind of upgradeitis this time. I don't feel that I need it because I love the HE-400 so much, but I can casually save up a little bit on the side because I do plan on getting a Stax system after hearing the SR-407. The clarity is just .. through the roof. Obviously everything in this price range is iterative but they have such a wider range than I expected.

Until then, happy to be back.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #9,029 of 22,116
I would
Ground? Most Marantz equipment; at least the Sun Valley era has it on the chassis. any wire will do right to the center post on the socket cover. Maybe just reverse the plug. Does the static/hum happen with speakers as well?
I would say that's its most likely the receiver. I had the same thing happen with a vintage amp. Had to be recapped.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #9,030 of 22,116
Quote:
I would
I would say that's its most likely the receiver. I had the same thing happen with a vintage amp. Had to be recapped.

Hm that is strange because I took it into a repair shop a few weeks ago to be serviced and I assumed he would have recapped the Marantz D: I called the repair shop and they said they tested my Marantz very extensively and did not get any static before calling for me to pick it up. 

Quote:

Thanks for your input too. Is there a way to remove ground? I didn't quite understand when you mention the wire to the center post. I bought a power conditioner and plugged all my equipment into it but the static still comes up. Sounds very scratchy lol 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back