**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #8,986 of 22,116
I like to suggest Justin at headamp. Great customer service and all around good guy. NIB gets no discounts. I have not seen any "on sale" since moon audio had a sale about a year ago. You can get a used pair of course. But I'd stick with new and order from headamp.

gL!!

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #8,987 of 22,116
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to give HE-400 a shot. I have few questions.

> Where is the cheapest place to buy? I'm from California.
> Do different places have different discounts \ warranties \ return policies?
> If buying used, is the warranty from Hifiman transferable?
> Should Audinst HUD MX1 be good enough to drive them?

Thanks again.

1. Online. Don't think they sell any in Cali (at least not in Orange County as far as I know. Can't find one decent headphone shop). Otherwise, headamp, head-direct (official hifiman store I believe), and moon-audio.

2. Return policies, probably. Warranties, has to be from an authorized dealer and then it should be all under the manufacturer's warranty. headamp has them open box for $340. I'm currently asking them a few questions. I don't think there's been discounts for them NIB for awhile. Lowest was like $360 a few years back as far as I know.

3. Don't know

4. Don't know, but 99% chance yes considering my F807 can. Sound-wise I wouldn't know.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #8,988 of 22,116
I recall reading a while back about either headamp or moon-audio doing discounts for head-fi members or via coupons when the HE-400 frenzy began, is that still going around or am I thinking of something else?

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #8,989 of 22,116
Quote:
I recall reading a while back about either headamp or moon-audio doing discounts for head-fi members or via coupons when the HE-400 frenzy began, is that still going around or am I thinking of something else?

No, I believe that Hifiman put a stop to that, I don't think they are allowed to discount a new HE-400. The discounts (Which was really only $25 off after shipping) ended last October.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #8,994 of 22,116
Quote:
I like to suggest Justin at headamp. Great customer service and all around good guy. NIB gets no discounts. I have not seen any "on sale" since moon audio had a sale about a year ago. You can get a used pair of course. But I'd stick with new and order from headamp.

gL!!

Correct.  Justin of HeadAmp is a great choice.  My personal experience with a purchase was one that was very well handled.  If and when the time to purchase happens, please consider using the following page on the site here to go through to the vendor.  This will provide feedback on the effectiveness of advertising via Head-Fi.

http://www.head-fi.org/sponsors/

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #8,995 of 22,116
Quote:
Haha alright. I was wondering if perhaps HE-400s would sound a bit too bright and dry with it. Alright, time to start looking at b-stocks.

It is slightly brighter than something like the e9, but it's not like any amp will make the HE-400 sound neutral or anything.
And it's not dry sounding at all, very clear and articulate. The hud-mx1 is also a great dac, so you can always buy a better amp with it.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #8,996 of 22,116
I'm going to try putting the Beyer EDT 770 V velour pads on mine. The HiFiMAN velours are more comfortable than the included pleathers, but are by no means ‘comfy’. The Beyer's velour is softer and so is the padding. The clamp on the HE-400 combined with the itchy and not-so-squishy velours make my jaws unhappy by the time i've finished an album. My old DT770s are just so comfy that it's hard to be completely happy with something noticeably less.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #8,997 of 22,116
Problem with pad swapping = loss of sound quality more times than not.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #8,998 of 22,116
I found a used HE-400 Rev1 for sale, 330$ shipped. What do you guys think? From what I've read there were reliability issues with rev1 and some sonic differences. Could someone with more in-depth knowledge shine some light on this? Thanks.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #8,999 of 22,116
I got a rev. 4 for that price a few weeks ago, don't get it. :wink:

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #9,000 of 22,116
Quote:
I found a used HE-400 Rev1 for sale, 330$ shipped. What do you guys think? From what I've read there were reliability issues with rev1 and some sonic differences. Could someone with more in-depth knowledge shine some light on this? Thanks.

For $65 more you could get warranty, unused pads and the latest revision with a new pair, I would just go with a new HE-400 from headamp tbh. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back