**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #8,686 of 22,116
Has anyone tried this cool mod from BTG Audio on their HE-400?

68316554.jpg

I'm really tempted to get rid of those tiny ear ring connectors and have the mini-XLR. A lighter and more flexible cable would be a bonus.

Steve
I'm thinking of getting them to do this too mine, TwinQY posted it earlier... You've disowned your family... :p

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #8,687 of 22,116
Quote:

They bumped it up to 150 hours now? Did they extend their return policy or something?

I really wouldn't worry about burn in. They sound just as good out of the box as they do 500 hours later. Although by then your ears may have adjusted better to the sound signature.

I have read the gamut of views on this "burn-in" phenomenon. To my ears, the 400 did sound increasingly better (I did plug it to my ipod and let it play for 4 days straight) but now I sense they are "plateauing".

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #8,689 of 22,116
Quote:

68316554.jpg

I'm really tempted to get rid of those tiny ear ring connectors and have the mini-XLR. A lighter and more flexible cable would be a bonus.

Steve

Great minds think alike 
wink.gif
 With this I could even just use my spare LCD-2 cables instead of blowing the much-needed HE-6 budget on custom cables.

Grill-modders, my rice-paper dust cover didn't exactly fare too well over the months, so was wondering about the latest "in-thing" for dust covers since my info's quite outdated. Are the pantyhose-mesh still being used or should I stick with no cover at all?

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #8,690 of 22,116
Quote:
Terrific. I'm in....thanks a bundle for the heads-up!

Modular, did you see this post?

I think during the event, you should expect to see / hear:

Headphones:

1. Stax 009 headphones @ $4,500
  2. Some Grado
  3. Some AKG
  4. Audeze LCD-2
  5. Audeze LCD-3
  6. HifiMAN HE-400
  7. HifiMAN HE-500
  8. HifiMAN HE-6 (If Darryl shows up)
  9. Mad Dogs
  10. Some Fostex T50 modded variants
  11. Sennheiser varieties

Amps:

1. Schiit amp
  2. HeadAmp's offerings (Blue Hawaii, Pico, etc.)
  3. Leckerton
  4. + Others

I think I'll be sitting this meet out.  I might be post-surgical at that time and in recovery.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #8,691 of 22,116
Quote:

68316554.jpg

Steve

One thing that has to seriously be considered is the length of those mini XLR connectors.  They will protrude down and possibly bump your shoulder if you turn your head too quickly.  I'd love to see an angled variety for the HE-400 like has been done with the Audeze.  They have angled connector points at the cup level, and appears to be a great design for use with the mini XLR.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #8,692 of 22,116
Again, on the side of functionality over aesthetics. The angled connectors on the LCD2 doesn't look nice, but it sure feels nice.

Seriously though, Hifiman needs to go mini-XLR going forward.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #8,693 of 22,116
Quote:

Headphones:

2. Some Grado
  3. Some AKG
  4. Audeze LCD-2
  5. Audeze LCD-3
  6. HifiMAN HE-400
  7. HifiMAN HE-500
  9. Mad Dogs
  11. Sennheiser varieties

Amps:

1. Schiit amp
  3. Leckerton
  4. + Others

I think I'll be sitting this meet out.  I might be post-surgical at that time and in recovery.

Thanks for your information. The HE 400 and 500 are on my short list.  I'd also be intereted in the upper end Grados....So, this should be a really good opportunity.

Best wishes for your surgury

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #8,694 of 22,116
Quote:
Again, on the side of functionality over aesthetics. The angled connectors on the LCD2 doesn't look nice, but it sure feels nice.

Seriously though, Hifiman needs to go mini-XLR going forward.

Those aftermarket mXLR connectors look bulky and unwieldy though (at least relative to the Hifiman connectors), is that unintentional or a limitation of the connector type?

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #8,695 of 22,116
Those aftermarket mXLR connectors look bulky and unwieldy though (at least relative to the Hifiman connectors), is that unintentional or a limitation of the connector type?

Perhaps for the 4 pin mXLR, but the AKG style 3 pin mini XLR is quite small. But yeah, the LCD2 type of XLR is a bit unwieldy for the Hifimans, IMHO.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #8,697 of 22,116
Quote:

Headphones:

2. Some Grado
  3. Some AKG
  4. Audeze LCD-2
  5. Audeze LCD-3
  6. HifiMAN HE-400
  7. HifiMAN HE-500
  9. Mad Dogs
  11. Sennheiser varieties

Amps:

1. Schiit amp
  3. Leckerton
  4. + Others

I wish I could go...

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #8,698 of 22,116
Quote:

Headphones:

2. Some Grado
  3. Some AKG
  4. Audeze LCD-2
  5. Audeze LCD-3
  6. HifiMAN HE-400
  7. HifiMAN HE-500
  9. Mad Dogs
  11. Sennheiser varieties

Amps:

1. Schiit amp
  3. Leckerton
  4. + Others

Ah, thanks for the info Wayne, I'll definitely try to make it out.  It's not too far from home, either.  There are likely going to be some cans here I've been curious to try.  Sorry to hear about your situation, though - I hope everything goes well!

Original HE-400 With Mini XLR Post (Click to show)

68316554.jpg

One thing that has to seriously be considered is the length of those mini XLR connectors.  They will protrude down and possibly bump your shoulder if you turn your head too quickly.  I'd love to see an angled variety for the HE-400 like has been done with the Audeze.  They have angled connector points at the cup level, and appears to be a great design for use with the mini XLR.

I've been considering this mod, and I've contacted Brian at BTG to get some more details on his process.  I'm currently making a cable so I'm debating on how to terminate the cup connectors, depending on if I want to attempt the mXLR mod.  I too would prefer an angled connector, so I may have to try my hand at crafting one.  It possibly wouldn't require any modification of the cup, which could be a plus.  I'm thinking of using a small project box and contouring it to the shape of the cup, or I may have to mold my own...oh, the possibilities!  I'll probably stick with the SMC connector for now and make another cable later.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #8,699 of 22,116
I ordered a pair of HE-400s about 3 weeks ago.  They were out of stock, so I've been waiting and waiting, then finally, they are shipped from Hong Kong by FedEx.  I eagerly follow the tracking for 10 days until today, the expected day of delivery.  They were delivered whilst I was out at work, but the next door neighbour signed for them.  I get home from work and she's not in!!  Aarrrggh!  I know my beautiful new headphones are right next door, but I still can't have them and I'm going out soon to play trumpet in the show Miss Saigon!  I might just break into her house and get them myself....

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #8,700 of 22,116
Quote:
I ordered a pair of HE-400s about 3 weeks ago.  They were out of stock, so I've been waiting and waiting, then finally, they are shipped from Hong Kong by FedEx.  I eagerly follow the tracking for 10 days until today, the expected day of delivery.  They were delivered whilst I was out at work, but the next door neighbour signed for them.  I get home from work and she's not in!!  Aarrrggh!  I know my beautiful new headphones are right next door, but I still can't have them and I'm going out soon to play trumpet in the show Miss Saigon!  I might just break into her house and get them myself....

You go do that amigo...we''ll post bail for you. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back