**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #8,702 of 22,116
Quote:
I ordered a pair of HE-400s about 3 weeks ago.  They were out of stock, so I've been waiting and waiting, then finally, they are shipped from Hong Kong by FedEx.  I eagerly follow the tracking for 10 days until today, the expected day of delivery.  They were delivered whilst I was out at work, but the next door neighbour signed for them.  I get home from work and she's not in!!  Aarrrggh!  I know my beautiful new headphones are right next door, but I still can't have them and I'm going out soon to play trumpet in the show Miss Saigon!  I might just break into her house and get them myself....

You go do that amigo...we''ll post bail for you. 
biggrin.gif

Thanks! Don't need it now though, as the neighbour arrived just add I was leaving, so I have an exciting unopened box for when I get home after this show!

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #8,703 of 22,116
Why do some people say that pairing a tube amp with these headphones isn't the best idea? I have a tube amp atm (Aune T1) and the sound I get is very satisfying, pleasant and transparent. at 16 dB gain I can turn up the volume to unbearable levels. What would be the improvement(s) if I got myself a SS amp?

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #8,704 of 22,116
Quote:

I did the first two steps of the Jergpad mod! I have to say I like what I hear, well worth the effort! Thank you Jerg!

Tried to take a "beauty shot" of these babies:

That's a really nice shot, you wouldn't happen to have a higher res would you?

Also +1 for jergpad mod, my goto pads for the HE-400.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #8,707 of 22,116
Quote:
Why do some people say that pairing a tube amp with these headphones isn't the best idea? I have a tube amp atm (Aune T1) and the sound I get is very satisfying, pleasant and transparent. at 16 dB gain I can turn up the volume to unbearable levels. What would be the improvement(s) if I got myself a SS amp?

Do you listen to a lot of female vocals?  How are their voices on the tubes, if you do?  Tubes vs. solid state is just an opinion.  Others have used the Aune, too.  RMac comes to mind.  He tried the Schiit Magni / Modi combination, but felt that signature was a bit bright at the top end, and the Aune solved the issue for him.  In the end, all that matters is that you enjoy what you hear.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #8,709 of 22,116
About tube amps... Some tend to be better at driving high empedance cans, but there is many exceptions. I don't see anything wrong with going tubes with the HE-500

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #8,710 of 22,116
Quote:
OK, this is weird, I have the Asgard 2, and the Grado 325si's. I just got the he-400's and started burning them in, after consulting with the Audiophile at CNET. So far, they sound great, although the instructions call for 150 hour of burn in! Zikes. I'd say they will handle rock really well, as well as classical. Love the Asgard, by the way, especially when I want to cook an egg!

I have the Grado RS-1s, and Beyerdynamic DT-880s. I've been listening to them with an Asgard 2 amplifier. I received the HiFiMan HE-400s today, and have not taken them off for several hours. I bent the headband, a little, and installed the velours before starting. I expected a different sound with the planars, but WOW! The "size" of the sound! It's like it's all around you. I 've heard things I didn't even know was on the tracks I listen to, all the time. Jazz, Rock, Classical, Country, it's all great. I'm so glad I saw, and read this forum.

P.S. The Asgard 2 is not all that hot for a class A amplifier. :)

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #8,713 of 22,116
Hi guys,

Could you tell me that the cable included in HE-6 phones is one of the Toxic cables?
What is the quality of it.

I intend to use it for my He-400.

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #8,714 of 22,116
No, it's just a Copper OCC cable with 4 pin XLR male + female Yongsheng, and a furutech Fp-704 1/4" TRS
biggrin.gif
. Most Copper OCC cable looks like that. Toxic's copper cable use Neutrik 4pin/Viablue/oyaide 1/4 TRS (depends on what you ask for).

Quality is good I guess, a bit long and the XLR plug is a bit heavy.
Quote:
Hi guys,

Could you tell me that the cable included in HE-6 phones is one of the Toxic cables?
What is the quality of it.

I intend to use it for my He-400.

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #8,715 of 22,116
I hope Mr. Bian is paying close attention to how happy people are with their Jergpads.

Mine, even fragile, survived a road trip in the included felt bag in a tightly packed suitcase, phew! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back