**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #7,981 of 22,116
This is my simple iTunes EQ preset I'm happy with so far.

I'm happy with the HE-400 stock, this is just a finishing touch.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #7,983 of 22,116
Just got my HE-400
I'm really surprised about the amount of bass that these have, just right for me
Sound is amazing, will be keeping these for a long time
Using a Magni and Xonar DX
Changing the pads was easy, got 2/3 in then used a card to get in the last one
Taking off the grill was easy too
Maybe some mods coming soon

The velour pads are really hard though

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #7,984 of 22,116
Quote:
Just got my HE-400
I'm really surprised about the amount of bass that these have, just right for me

If you are thinking of doing my Jergpad mod, wait for my v2 guide that will be much better than the current version.

P.S. the earpads have 4 tabs, not 3.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #7,986 of 22,116
Quote:
Just got my HE-400

Agree with you the velour. I never took a liking for them and used the dust screen on them for my J$ pads. Never got a handle on removing the pads... I'm all thumbs but I have a daughter who is very adept at these things. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #7,987 of 22,116
Quote:
If you are thinking of doing my Jergpad mod, wait for my v2 guide that will be much better than the current version.

P.S. the earpads have 4 tabs, not 3.

Will do

Yea, I meant on the first cup I got in 3 tabs and used a card for the last and the second cup I only got in 2 tabs and got the other 2 using a card

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #7,988 of 22,116
Quote:
That is more or less what I am doing at the moment, to force out a bigger bass kick. Only I leave the midrange alone, and trim upper treble by a couple dB more.

Sounds great!

I just set up the EQ in a similar fashion in iTunes fully expecting it to sound like crap, but to my surprise it sounds pretty good. Just has a little more Bass now. I didn't think to fix the midrange dip. I'll have to add that and see what happens. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #7,989 of 22,116
Quote:
For an unbalanced dedicated headphone amp, the Schiit Lyr will put out the most power that I know of, and you can pair it with the Schiit Bifrost DAC - not an all in one solution, but they stack and look nice.

If I didn't need an all-in-one that would be perfect. 
biggrin.gif

But seriously, I know separates are better. I need this to be transportable from workshop to office to car. I only want to have to plug in one thing and have one cable to deal with. 

It's looking like my CEntrance DACmini may work out after all. I bumped the Gain in it by 4 dB and now it's packing a pretty hefty punch. I'd still be interested to know who makes the most powerful the All-in-ones though... 

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #7,991 of 22,116
Quote:
My Audio-GD amp and other AGD amps are very powerful

Neither of those are all-in-ones. Finding a powerful Amp is easy. Finding a powerful all-in-one (DAC + Amp) is a little harder. 
wink.gif

I'm starting to fall in love with the DACMini anyway so it may all be moot. It's had just enough power so far and I can always boost the gain on it if I need to.

Really a good match for HE400s. It brings the mids forward and smooths out the highs. It's got good bass punch too. I'm really liking it... so much so, I think I'd pay the hundred bucks to get the Gain Upgrade if it proves not to get loud enough. So far it's been getting plenty loud. We'll see tonight after my wife and kids are in bed... That's the real test. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #7,993 of 22,116
Quote:
It seems as though half the things audio-gd makes are all-in-ones.  Are you sure you looked hard enough?

Whoops... Apologies to Sniping! I thought I'd looked those up before but I guess I didn't. They do have 3 models that are combos but two have less power than the DACMini and the other one has only slightly more. I have a feeling the Big Burson Conductor is the king of combos when it comes to power. I'm just not ready to spend $1850.00 for one. 
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #7,995 of 22,116
I wish my wife would go to bed... We're watching American Idol "together" and I'd love to be anywhere else with my headphones and that new DACMini... I just downloaded a bunch of new Muisc too...  
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back