**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 27, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #7,996 of 22,116
@Wayne

I use the E17 DAC as my primary DAC. Actually I can agree with you about the treble. It does seem slightly grainy (can't find a better word).

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #7,997 of 22,116
Quote:
After months of mulling over headphone debate, I finally ordered and subsequently received my HE-400 on Saturday. Although I do enjoy the HE-400 sound, I am not sure these cans are a $400 upgrade over my Senn HD-595 (IMO). Undoubtedly my expectations were too high from the outset, but I figured I'd be a bit more impressed given the step up in headphone tiers. Hopefully in time I will learn to appreciate my new purchase.

Have you got a good amp? I noticed relativly big changes from unamped to E17 and then again to Asgard amp.
Its ofc subjective but if you can try them out with a good amp.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #7,998 of 22,116
Quote:
Have you got a good amp? I noticed relativly big changes from unamped to E17 and then again to Asgard amp.
Its ofc subjective but if you can try them out with a good amp.

Dead right. When my HE-400 came, I attached it to my ipod eagerly. After listening to the sound (or lack of it), I wanted to throw out the HPs. I then got the Bifrost/Asgard 1 and enjoying every moment of it.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #7,999 of 22,116
I've been setting up my iPod for use in my new car through the aux jack, converting most of my music to ALAC and AAC, so since I have my iPod right here next to my HE400 I decided to try them out. The HE400 actually sounds really good from the iPod! It's a really old Nano 2nd gen too. Of course dynamics suffer because volume doesn't get loud at all, but it still sounds like an HE400 which is pretty damn good still.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #8,000 of 22,116
With a lack of decent amping, they sound great, but the problem is that since the volume is significantly lower, some freceuncies (bass mostly) overshadows other sounds.

I have found that since i use the asgard with my Fiio E17 as a dac (optical in bypassing Fiio AMP from my Creative X-fi Titanium), there are new sounds i have not been able to notice from lets say, my cowon/E17.

Also another thing shocked me when using the asgard over the fiio E17: The headphones sound a lot more open.

I thought they sounded "perfect" from my fiio E17 before but now i feel they sound like a closed can compared to the Asgard :D.

Im not sure if i am describing it right thou.

I am planning to get a Sennheiser HD600 as a complement for the HE-400, but im not sure yet on those or some other cans :D.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #8,001 of 22,116
Originally Posted by bareyb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyone know who makes the MOST POWERFUL all-in-one DAC+AMP Combo? Something with good Bass and smooth highs with good voltage output would be nice. 

It's not an all in one.. but very very close:

The ODAC+ Lake People G109 amp.  The G109 is very neutral, dynamic, and possesses extremely smooth highs (pairs wonderfully with the HD800).  The G109 delivers nearly 2 watts @ 50 ohms.  It can drive IEMs with grace and nuance (very low output impedance).. and orthos with power and control.

In my desktop rig: ODAC fed to the TubeDAC-11.. the TD-11's tube output runs to the LP G109... the HE-400 sounds heavenly.  I can't decide if I like the HE-400 or the HD800 more in this setup.. both sound phenomenal.  I'd consider it my end game rig actually & would put it up against anything under $1K.  Can't imagine upgrading unless I want to drop serious cash on a BHSE or ECBA.  An excellent tube that synergizes well with the HE-400 ( in this rig) is the Holland-made, Amperex 6922 "Orange Globe."  Robust, textured bass.. slightly forward, liquid mids (a signature of the "Amperex" sound).. and smooth, crisp treble.

That being said.. I love the ODAC & G109 alone, too & would be more than happy if that's all I had at my disposal (at the desktop).  It's very powerful, transparent, smooth, open, and effortless.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #8,002 of 22,116
Would love to start using EQ to maybe get a bit more out of the bass but I wouldn't know where to begin. I don't understand the Hz or know what a rolloff is and truthfully I don't care. Would just like a little more impact.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #8,003 of 22,116
Quote:
Would love to start using EQ to maybe get a bit more out of the bass but I wouldn't know where to begin. I don't understand the Hz or know what a rolloff is and truthfully I don't care. Would just like a little more impact.

It's generally just the first two bands on a simple graphic equalizer. If the equalizer doesn't have a limiter built in to prevent clipping make sure you lower the pre-amp the same amount.

A lot of people suggest dropping all the other bands instead, but this is a big no-no with graphic equalizers due to how inaccurate they are, that can turn the FR into a bumpy mess.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #8,008 of 22,116
Quote:
You liked it even with rock?  Many of the reviews said that it was voiced for jazz and electronic.  And with rock, you thought the HE 400 sounded better than the 650s?  I'm impressed

With the right earpads, HE400s are very competent for mids-focused genres like vocals and rock. Seriously, my jergpadded HE400s actually sound a lot like HE500s with stock velours to my ears, except a bit rougher around the edges and a bit more spacious and fun-sounding.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #8,009 of 22,116
Quote:

With the right earpads, HE400s are very competent for mids-focused genres like vocals and rock. Seriously, my jergpadded HE400s actually sound a lot like HE500s with stock velours to my ears, except a bit rougher around the edges and a bit more spacious and fun-sounding.

So Jerg,

when is v2.0 of the Jergpad coming out ?

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #8,010 of 22,116
Quote:
So Jerg,

when is v2.0 of the Jergpad coming out ?

After I've received the pads from Merkil and done the mod on it (allowing me to take the photos needed), so anywhere between a few days and a couple of weeks I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back