**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #7,951 of 22,116
Hm I might as well ask as an interest check:

Is anyone interested in getting their earpads jergpad-modded (latest version, complete with backvent mod, sub-bass mod, and velour cover mod)? It requires both a pair of pleathers (to be modded) and a pair of velours (to be cannibalized for its velour). If you pay for shipping both ways I won't charge extra. And it will be for taking photos for the revised 2.0 guide so trust me that I will be very careful with the protocols.

I'll only need 1 person to commit.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #7,952 of 22,116
Hey Jerg, I might...might be interested in doing it for my Denons. I'd send you my pleathers and perhaps buy some velour that you can graph onto the top of it...

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #7,953 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey Jerg, I might...might be interested in doing it for my Denons. I'd send you my pleathers and perhaps buy some velour that you can graph onto the top of it...

You're gonna be using Hifiman pleathers for your Denons? What?

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #7,954 of 22,116
Lol, no. The Denon's pleather. Dunno about the velour though, as I it wouldnt be exactly a perfect shape...

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #7,956 of 22,116
Hey jerg,

I think I can help you out. Instead of the velour screen can I send you nylon stocking screen instead?

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #7,957 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey jerg,

I think I can help you out. Instead of the velour screen can I send you nylon stocking screen instead?

No, I mentioned the velours because they would be used to transplant their velour material onto the top of the pleather. It is an important mod step that boosts comfort and increases openness of the sound drastically, without impacting the tonal balance. Here's a photo of what I mean:

With my current state of Jergpad mod, the original pleather dust screen will be maintained. In fact, it won't even need to be touched throughout the whole protocol.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #7,959 of 22,116
No, I mentioned the velours because they would be used to transplant their velour material onto the top of the pleather. It is an important mod step that boosts comfort and increases openness of the sound drastically, without impacting the tonal balance. Here's a photo of what I mean:

With my current state of Jergpad mod, the original pleather dust screen will be maintained. In fact, it won't even need to be touched throughout the whole protocol.

Gotcha. Ok. I don't use both my pads so sure. Is this the final of the final of the final for the jergpad mods??

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #7,960 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't like to EQ as not everything I plug my headphones into has EQ or a good enough one.

The D7000 has been my fave can since I first owned one. I'm just going back to my endgame headphone. I prefer it to even the LCD2.

May I ask what source and amp did you use for D7000?

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #7,961 of 22,116
Started with the E7, various receivers, Beyerdynamic Headzone, E9, Audio GD NFB-5, Schiit Lyr. Regardless, the Denon D7000 sounded basically the same no matter what I plugged it into. It doesn't scale much. Just an amazing headphone off basically anything.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #7,962 of 22,116
Quote:
Gotcha. Ok. I don't use both my pads so sure. Is this the final of the final of the final for the jergpad mods??

Pretty much, although one of the steps (sub-bass mod) requires that you bond the bottom of the earpads to the headphone cups via double-sided adhesive tape, I could just have the tapes on the earpads but with the cover strips on, but I'm not sure if you'd want that mod at all.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #7,963 of 22,116
Pretty much, although one of the steps (sub-bass mod) requires that you bond the bottom of the earpads to the headphone cups via double-sided adhesive tape, I could just have the tapes on the earpads but with the cover strips on, but I'm not sure if you'd want that mod at all.

That's ok man. Make them how they are suppose to be. I am using the J$ pads with the extra ring so I don't have any use for the pleathers/velours or the extra ring. In any case I can always purchase another set of pads or when I buy another set of Hifimans (HE6s I think) it will come with the extra pads anyway.

I've wanted to do your mods but I'm not really good at this stuff so this is perfect. Maybe instead of getting the HE6, the HE500 with this pad will be good enough for me lol

Edit: as long as they will be durable. That's my main thing.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #7,964 of 22,116
Quote:
That's ok man. Make them how they are suppose to be. I am using the J$ pads with the extra ring so I don't have any use for the pleathers/velours or the extra ring. In any case I can always purchase another set of pads or when I buy another set of Hifimans (HE6s I think) it will come with the extra pads anyway.

I've wanted to do your mods but I'm not really good at this stuff so this is perfect. Maybe instead of getting the HE6, the HE500 with this pad will be good enough for me lol

Edit: as long as they will be durable. That's my main thing.

The current version should be no less durable than an unmodded pair of pleathers.

Anyway PM'd you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back