**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #8,011 of 22,116
Quote:
Neither of those are all-in-ones. Finding a powerful Amp is easy. Finding a powerful all-in-one (DAC + Amp) is a little harder. 
wink.gif

I'm starting to fall in love with the DACMini anyway so it may all be moot. It's had just enough power so far and I can always boost the gain on it if I need to.

Really a good match for HE400s. It brings the mids forward and smooths out the highs. It's got good bass punch too. I'm really liking it... so much so, I think I'd pay the hundred bucks to get the Gain Upgrade if it proves not to get loud enough. So far it's been getting plenty loud. We'll see tonight after my wife and kids are in bed... That's the real test. 
beerchug.gif

What you are talking about is the ODAC then. Its got tons of power, sounds awesome, and works great with the HE-400. If you bought it as separate component, you could also enjoy battery powered 'portability' with the amp.

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #8,013 of 22,116
Quote:
Are there any decent stock Pads softer than the velours included that will fit the HE400's?
Similar to the Beyers.
Not interested in DYI solution.
I just want to buy a pair off the shelf if I can.
Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads/270#post_9208900

Probably the Beyers. Audezes and Denons carry some sonical drawbacks with them (probably)

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #8,014 of 22,116
Quote:
Soaked the velours in warm water for 5 mins and air dried
Just a little softer, but so much better; they were pretty stiff/hard before

With or without the plastic rings?

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #8,015 of 22,116
Quote:
With or without the plastic rings?

Without, so that you can REALLY squeeze those suckers into little balls in hot water, and let their foams have a nice deep workout rinse.

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #8,016 of 22,116
Quote:
Without, so that you can REALLY squeeze those suckers into little balls in hot water, and let their foams have a nice deep workout rinse.

Alright, thanks!

How hot is hot water in this case anyways?

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #8,018 of 22,116
Quote:
I would think this would completely ruin the material.
They held up you say?

Oh yeah, 100%. It's not some crappy foam that disintegrates with water, it's a tough resilient foam that keeps its shape. Just the hot water squeeze session + drying softens the foam significantly. I can easily pinch a washed pair of velours flat and it'll bounce right back to original thickness, while with unwashed velours the foam only has half as much give.

Alright, thanks!

How hot is hot water in this case anyways?

I dunno, hot enough that your hands could still tolerate it I guess?

Anyway to me pleathers are still more comfortable simply because they are shallower and so by default have less clamp.

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #8,019 of 22,116
Quote:
Oh yeah, 100%. It's not some crappy foam that disintegrates with water, it's a tough resilient foam that keeps its shape. Just the hot water squeeze session + drying softens the foam significantly. I can easily pinch a washed pair of velours flat and it'll bounce right back to original thickness, while with unwashed velours the foam only has half as much give.

1)I dunno, hot enough that your hands could still tolerate it I guess?

2)Anyway to me pleathers are still more comfortable simply because they are shallower and so by default have less clamp.

1)Thanks! I guess I figured as much :p

2)For me its the opposite unfortunately as I have big ears :/

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #8,020 of 22,116
Quote:

1)Thanks! I guess I figured as much :p

2)For me its the opposite unfortunately as I have big ears :/

@2) that's a shame, I love the transparency and intimacy of the midrange that is presented with the ears really close to the drivers, that cannot be mirrored even in the best of the best thicker pads.

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #8,021 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey could somebody give me a quick measurement of the HE 400's dimensions?  Thanks

I'm not sure what dimensions in particular you're looking for, but here's a couple for the driver enclosures: 4" in diameter and 2" deep overall (w/ velour pads). Oh, and the headband is 1-7/8" at it's widest.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #8,022 of 22,116
Hi again 
wink.gif

Just wanted to share my progress on perfect fun sounding he-400 to my ears.

Amp/DAC used : Schiit Magni, Schiit Modi

Exported preset for Electic-Q

With this EQ I can hear instruments more forward instead of "behind doors", vocals are much more preset, can enjoy/feel close sounding guitars nicely ,can focus on whichever instrument I want ,bass is great as always with little boost and I got no problem with treble at all me with this.

For me it's few steps from finished cure to he-400 imperfections.

Would be great If anyone of you guys could try it out and tell me some feedback 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think I am nearly done.

Of course maybe it's total crap, you have to tell me 
biggrin.gif

I'am working on this by my ears and some graphs Jerg posted already, which helps a lot - I can see where to start.

ps: oh, forgot to take it under 0dB, well was listening to this about 3 hours in row and didn't experience any clipping so guess it's fine like this too.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #8,023 of 22,116
Quote:
You liked it even with rock?  Many of the reviews said that it was voiced for jazz and electronic.  And with rock, you thought the HE 400 sounded better than the 650s?  I'm impressed

I really like them with my rock/metal stuff after some EQing 
wink.gif
 As for HD650 it probably depends on you amp/dac combo.

With FiiO E11 - not even worth listening - to me absolutely terrible. With Magni and Modi - damn big change in sound they can produce, really nice mids, but still after EQ I prefer HE-400 because bass is so much better on these.

My guess is that with something like Lyr/Bifrost HD650 may be better for someone.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #8,024 of 22,116
If you're going by graphs I feel it's better to use a 2D FR graph rather than a CSD. It's the sum of all the energy, whereas with a CSD plot you have to guess what that is(the first frame of a CSD is not the equivalent of a FR graph).

But what you have there doesn't look bad, it looks similar to my attempts using FR graphs before(in terms of where rises/falls begin).

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #8,025 of 22,116
Quote:

Hi again 
wink.gif

Just wanted to share my progress on perfect fun sounding he-400 to my ears.

Amp/DAC used : Schiit Magni, Schiit Modi

Exported preset for Electic-Q

With this EQ I can hear instruments more forward instead of "behind doors", vocals are much more preset, can enjoy/feel close sounding guitars nicely ,can focus on whichever instrument I want ,bass is great as always with little boost and I got no problem with treble at all me with this.

For me it's few steps from finished cure to he-400 imperfections.

Would be great If anyone of you guys could try it out and tell me some feedback 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think I am nearly done.

Of course maybe it's total crap, you have to tell me 
biggrin.gif

I'am working on this by my ears and some graphs Jerg posted already, which helps a lot - I can see where to start.

ps: oh, forgot to take it under 0dB, well was listening to this about 3 hours in row and didn't experience any clipping so guess it's fine like this too.

That's too aggressive of an EQ, in my opinion. Try this instead:

Drop 20 Hz - 1kHz evenly by 4 dB, then have a steady straight slope upwards from 1kHz to 5.5kHz going from the -4dB level to 0dB level (5.5kHz will be the peak of the whole EQ at 0 dB), then a sharp but still straight slope down from 5.5kHz to 12kHz going from 0dB to -8dB, followed by a slope back up to 0dB from 12kHz to 20kHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back