**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #1,141 of 22,116
So Is the he-400 the best headphone at around the $400 dollar mark? For now this is my budget since I'm also going to buy the e17, I'm planning on using them on the go and at home. I'm not really concerned about isolation but mostly overall sound quality.

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #1,142 of 22,116
Quote:
So Is the he-400 the best headphone at around the $400 dollar mark? For now this is my budget since I'm also going to buy the e17, I'm planning on using them on the go and at home. I'm not really concerned about isolation but mostly overall sound quality.

That's a really subjective thing, nobody can really accurately answer that. A lot of people would think so though.

And you better be not concerned about isolation and leakage at all, because these are said to be some of the absolute worst headphones for that.

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #1,143 of 22,116

How exactly is your 'on the go'? Do you have concern about sound leak, both in and out?

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #1,144 of 22,116
Quote:

For my money, if you are looking for an open hp the he400 can not be beat at the price. But I would NEVER take it out of the house though. It's a bigger hp and not lightweight. Definitely for home use. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,147 of 22,116
No not really, I would just take them to my college campus and use them there when I have free time. I would probably do something like the e17 + an mp3 player with line out dock

I wouldn't suggest the HE400 for that kind of application, but it's your money. It might be best to dig a little more on what setup is best with the he400 for your purpose.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #1,148 of 22,116
Quote:

It might very well be the best headphone at that price range from a technical standpoint. But, as others have said, there isn't really a "best" headphone at any price point, since it's more about preference of sound signature. I was personally impressed by the HE-400. But that doesn't mean I loved it. The dark voicing turned me off to its better qualities.

Edit: And as others have suggested, there are better options for portable use! Unless, that is, you really do want to stand out with these blue babies on your head leaking music for all to hear. If that's your aim, then go for it!

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #1,149 of 22,116
Well you might actually laugh but I like the style of the 400's the blue looks really unique. Basically I just want the best sound quality that will allow me to take them on the go, I know these are heavy and everything but the way I see it I would be happy with a little discomfort for amazing sound quality on the go. Besides I will also use these at home on my laptop, and I need the e17 anyway because both of my 3.5 jacks are busted on my computer so I can't connect headphones. I also have some m-50's would those be better for portable use?

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #1,150 of 22,116
Quote:
Well you might actually laugh but I like the style of the 400's the blue looks really unique. Basically I just want the best sound quality that will allow me to take them on the go, I know these are heavy and everything but the way I see it I would be happy with a little discomfort for amazing sound quality on the go. Besides I will also use these at home on my laptop, and I need the e17 anyway because both of my 3.5 jacks are busted on my computer so I can't connect headphones. I also have some m-50's would those be better for portable use?

The only thing I would say is that these leak a lot of sound. However if you don't care about that then sure go for it. For me, I've used these a lot at my laboratory and a few occasions on bus trips; good conversation starter 
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,152 of 22,116
Quote:
i'm goona buy HE400 + velour pad. But i have some question
İ will use it with ipod + fiio e11. Are these enough to drive HE400.
And how long does shipping take from head direct to Atlanta?

Yeah. Even just the ipod is enough really.

People have had varied results with shipping. Mine got from China to Ohio in 3 days.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #1,153 of 22,116
Quote:
i'm goona buy HE400 + velour pad. But i have some question
İ will use it with ipod + fiio e11. Are these enough to drive HE400.
And how long does shipping take from head direct to Atlanta?

Yes, it will drive them fine. Their some scaleability with these so they will get even better with nicer amps...lyr *cough, cough* 
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #1,154 of 22,116
Thanks for your reply. İ am a newbei actually and i am using ath m50 jn my case i usally use jt at home, work (private room), in a car (while driving i mean) and at coffee (starbucks etc.) while i am drinking. İ enjoy to listen alternative rock, rock, jazz and classical. 400 usd is too much money for me and i want to choice the correct one. İ read many posts and review about he400 and i want to taste it. Would you suggest it for my case?
Actually i am happy with m50 but problem is all group members and me are in small room anfd time to time all ensturmant mix with each other. İ think this means sound stage problem ( i said i am newbei :) )

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #1,155 of 22,116
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. İ am a newbei actually and i am using ath m50 jn my case i usally use jt at home, work (private room), in a car (while driving i mean) and at coffee (starbucks etc.) while i am drinking. İ enjoy to listen alternative rock, rock, jazz and classical. 400 usd is too much money for me and i want to choice the correct one. İ read many posts and review about he400 and i want to taste it. Would you suggest it for my case?
Actually i am happy with m50 but problem is all group members and me are in small room anfd time to time all ensturmant mix with each other. İ think this means sound stage problem ( i said i am newbei
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Well most think of instrumental separation and soundstage as two separate things. Soundstage is a little ambiguous, but I think of it as the size of the sound. 

For instrumental separation, HE-400 is an excellent choice. It's a very quick headphone. Absolutely amazing for jazz and oldies style rock, as well as jam style rock. For rock that consists of walls of sound from distorted guitars, I wasn't initially wowed but I feel like upgrading from the STX to the Asgard helped with it a ton. Not sure how the e11 compares to the Asgard in this aspect. It's really a great all around headphone though, it works with every genre!

Soundstage is also very good, it will be a definite improvement going from a closed headphone to this.

One thing to consider though: you said you like to listen to it in coffee shops and such.... Everyone will be able to hear what you are listening to, and you will be able to hear stuff around you. No isolation and near 100% sound leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back