**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #1,156 of 22,116
Quote:
So Is the he-400 the best headphone at around the $400 dollar mark? For now this is my budget since I'm also going to buy the e17, I'm planning on using them on the go and at home. I'm not really concerned about isolation but mostly overall sound quality.

The short answer imho is: yes, most definitely! The he400 will give you a genuine taste of high-fidelity (many other headphones at this price point fall far short of the he400's stellar performance). But that's just my opinion and it comes with a big caveat. So many people, you see, have asked that very question--Is headphone X the best headphone at this or that particular price point?  But no one can credibly answer such a question. Another, more accurate way of wording this question might be: will I enjoy these headphones more than other headphones of a similar price?  And that, of course, is a question only you can answer for yourself. Now, don't get me wrong: the good folks at Head-Fi love to give advice (they are an exceedingly helpful and solicitous lot) but you need to ask the right questions, if you want satisfaction. So let me ask you a few questions: do you like darkish sounding headphones with a touch of mid-treble brightness? Do you love deep but tightly controlled bass? Do you prefer a moderate sized sound-stage with holographic imaging? Do you really like to hear the texture in male voices? If you answered "yes" to all of these questions then, I'm pretty darned sure: these are the headphones for you. But if you prefer a "brighter" sound or a so-called "fun" sound signature (think Beyerdynamic or Grado headphones); or if you want a pair of dead neutral headphones with a super wide sound-stage (think AKG 701); or if you want monster bass (think Denon Dxxx not Beats!), or if you want extra mid-bass accompanied by a lush midrange (think Audio Technica esw9)--then the he400 may not be the best headphones for you. I think that's where you need to start your headphone search though: with your own preferences.  Once you've nailed down all your likes and dislikes, then you have a very good chance of finding the headphones that will suit you best. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #1,159 of 22,116
Quote:
Looks like my replacement HE400s have reached Alaska, let's hope they deliver to me by Monday morning.

Mine were last seen on Lantau Island, HK. 
frown.gif
 I think they will honor the Wednesday date but not sooner. It is China. But they do overnight from China too, it's just crazy expensive. Maybe one day I will go big and spend a ton on shipping just to get it crazy fast. You guys see Amazon is trying to figure out how to do SAME-DAY DELIVERY? Can you imagine the impulse buys......... if you don't like it you just pay a little extra to return them and its like you got to test some $400 headphones for $20 of shipping it back. Pretty good deal if you don't like them or they're just not quite what you wanted. But same-day delivery... nuts. I doubt that will make it to Minneapolis for a while.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #1,160 of 22,116
If it's in Alaska, it will definitely by there by Monday.  Hifman's shipping is nuts.  It took them like 10 days to get mine to ship, but once it shipped it went from china to alaska to my door in only 1-2 days.  Getting an Apple computer from china to Alaska to my door was equally as short. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #1,162 of 22,116
Quote:

Mine were last seen on Lantau Island, HK. 
frown.gif
 I think they will honor the Wednesday date but not sooner. It is China. But they do overnight from China too, it's just crazy expensive. Maybe one day I will go big and spend a ton on shipping just to get it crazy fast. You guys see Amazon is trying to figure out how to do SAME-DAY DELIVERY? Can you imagine the impulse buys......... if you don't like it you just pay a little extra to return them and its like you got to test some $400 headphones for $20 of shipping it back. Pretty good deal if you don't like them or they're just not quite what you wanted. But same-day delivery... nuts. I doubt that will make it to Minneapolis for a while.

Well my shipping is estimated for Tuesday delivery, but since it's now at Alaska I'm thinking they may deliver it a day early actually. The flight from Hongkong to Alaska only seemed to take about 8 or 10 hours.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #1,163 of 22,116
Quote:

Well my shipping is estimated for Tuesday delivery, but since it's now at Alaska I'm thinking they may deliver it a day early actually. The flight from Hongkong to Alaska only seemed to take about 8 or 10 hours.

If this is all true, I may get my headphones on Tuesday! I would be shocked and pleased. I would quit all my whining and listen to some music. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #1,164 of 22,116
One thing to consider though: you said you like to listen to it in coffee shops and such.... Everyone will be able to hear what you are listening to, and you will be able to hear stuff around you. No isolation and near 100% sound leakage.

Yes i know and that's the case that i hesitate to buy but after 10 days searching i didn't find the correct hp for my case. The last week 2 hp left to decide mad dog or he400. MD has a bass and sub bass problem (according to read on forum) and he400 has no isolation. İ think i will choice better sound against isolation.
Could you advice another hp to collapse all (for my case)

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #1,165 of 22,116
still at the intersection, eh? have you considered trying the v-moda m-80 or the m-100? i can vouch for the sonic of the m-80. i used to own one until i decided that i found more comfort in around the ear headphones.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #1,168 of 22,116
Here's one really bad thing about owning the He400: headphones I used to really like now sound terrible to me. Take the Denon D2000, for example. I used to handle those cans as if they were the king's royal robes. But now, after spending time with he400, the d2000 is about as enticing to me as a burlap potato sack. They just sound so hollowed-out by comparison. The Q701 fair better than the Denon, but I have to wonder: will I ever listen to them again? I already gave away my dt880. At least, the hd650 still sounds great to me, but i think I really will have to thin out my headphone stable soon. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,169 of 22,116
Yeah after spending a while with the HE-400, it really exposes the weird timbre qualities of the D2000, which sounds hollowed, plastic and cold in comparison.  I had the same feeling listening to M50 after D2000, so I couldn't imagine listening to M50 after HE-400.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #1,170 of 22,116
Quote:
Here's one really bad thing about owning the He400: headphones I used to really like now sound terrible to me. Take the Denon D2000, for example. I used to handle those cans as if they were the king's royal robes. But now, after spending time with he400, the d2000 is about as enticing to me as a burlap potato sack. They just sound so hollowed-out by comparison. The Q701 fair better than the Denon, but I have to wonder: will I ever listen to them again? I already gave away my dt880. At least, the hd650 still sounds great to me, but i think I really will have to thin out my headphone stable soon. 

The only headphone under my possession that still stands up to HE400s for me at the moment is my modded KSC75s 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back