**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 18, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #18,076 of 22,116

Wow, that just came apart on it's own without any user abuse at all? I don't even know how that is possible (not accusing or anything of course!)

I've had my HE-400's for over a year now and they are basically in the same condition as the day I bought them.

yea man I really took good care of them I didnt even have them long enough to drop them or anything 

it just fell off while I was wearing it...same thing with the connector piece of the cable 

I would think they were a counterfeit or something if the sound on them wasnt IMPECCABLE ...man when they work they sound like heaven

Ive been emailing with Hifi I think they are gonna replace them thankfully ...hopefully I have better luck next time 

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #18,077 of 22,116
I tried this, soundstage definitely shrunk, but still on par with many closed cans. there was a lot of resonance, but then again, my hands aren't wood cups or anything. maybe it'd work. Bass wasn't affected as much as the other frequencies, and does not disappear.

OK sounds good, here's for a very early 6mm thick prototype:

There'll be bass ports, waxing, a soft angle on the outside and proper damping....then I'll make new ones out of zebrawood if pine works as planned :evil:

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #18,078 of 22,116
I've ended up writing some impressions in another thread that I feel might be relevant to this thread, especially if anyone is interested in comparisons between HD598, HE400, NAD VISO HP50 and Sony MA900.  I'm also plugging the HRT Microstreamer to be THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE UPGRADE I'VE EVER BOUGHT IN NEARLY 20 YEARS OF INTEREST IN AUDIO GEAR.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663121/sony-mdr-ma900-impressions-thread/1365#post_10897701

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #18,079 of 22,116
  I've ended up writing some impressions in another thread that I feel might be relevant to this thread, especially if anyone is interested in comparisons between HD598, HE400, NAD VISO HP50 and Sony MA900.  I'm also plugging the HRT Microstreamer to be THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE UPGRADE I'VE EVER BOUGHT IN NEARLY 20 YEARS OF INTEREST IN AUDIO GEAR.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663121/sony-mdr-ma900-impressions-thread/1365#post_10897701

Did you get the HRT for mobile use ? Bushmaster MK2 is about the same price though for desktop.
Would you say HRT is analytical/natural/neutral/warm for planars...DAC's kind of gravitate to one of these sig's.
Always on the lookout for an alternative DAC below 200 quid that pairs well with planars....

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #18,080 of 22,116

Your HE400 impression is spot on, these cans just give so much energy and punch to the music, a build up in an electronic track is never a thing for me, now it is like a roller coaster ride, I can feel it getting intense especially when I am anticipating it, just blows my mind. Yes I do beginning to notice the treble peaks alot on some songs especially Pop songs, while other songs are perfectly okay, most of my files are 320bps .mp3 and .flac, is this because of bad recording or what?

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #18,081 of 22,116
Probably the HE 400 Fr signature, every headphones have their flaws
Bad recordings could enhance treble also and often songs are poor mastered for headphones listening

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #18,082 of 22,116

Your HE400 impression is spot on, these cans just give so much energy and punch to the music, a build up in an electronic track is never a thing for me, now it is like a roller coaster ride, I can feel it getting intense especially when I am anticipating it, just blows my mind. Yes I do beginning to notice the treble peaks alot on some songs especially Pop songs, while other songs are perfectly okay, most of my files are 320bps .mp3 and .flac, is this because of bad recording or what?
It's both. The treble response is uneven on these headphones but many recordings sound ok if there isn't much information in those problematic ranges. The problems come when there is, or even worse, when you have a bright recording that's already hot up on those frequencies. Then, it's hot needles. The modulor modded Jergpads went a long way to sorting those problematic areas out. Adding an HRT Microstreamer into the chain, I have ZERO issues with those treble spikes now. I'm VERY pleased to say this as I was about to sell these cans on. I am SO glad I didn't now! I love my HE400s!

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #18,083 of 22,116

Did you get the HRT for mobile use ? Bushmaster MK2 is about the same price though for desktop.
Would you say HRT is analytical/natural/neutral/warm for planars...DAC's kind of gravitate to one of these sig's.
Always on the lookout for an alternative DAC below 200 quid that pairs well with planars....
I would say that this DAC is on the natural to warm side. It's not overly warm, the treble is just very smooth and refined so that gives a lack of harshness. Like others have said, I find myself really enjoying the music whilst the equipment gets out of the way with this little box, which is fantastic. It does drive my HE400s well but not particularly loud. They could really do with an amp between them to get the sound levels required for my musical needs.

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #18,088 of 22,116
morrow cable interconnect  and Ember amp : no more problem with the treble spike.....you will hear the he 400 true potential... best regards

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #18,089 of 22,116
morrow cable interconnect  and Ember amp : no more problem with the treble spike.....you will hear the he 400 true potential... best regards

I would love to get the ember, but because of where i live,i can't order them, i was really looking forward the magni/modi combo, but if anyone there can tell me of another good amp/dac combo then i would be more than pleased

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #18,090 of 22,116
I might buy an amp one of these days, but my receiver really drives that bass to some impressive levels. If I want a more articulate sound, I'll grab my hd700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back