**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #10,426 of 22,116
Still testing the equalizer, so far it helped a bit but not yet sure if its placebo or real improvment :D.

May 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #10,427 of 22,116
Oh and BTW, i kinda forgot.
Thx to mister HIFIMAN, Mister Fang, for making something so good that i could afford!

May 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #10,428 of 22,116
Quote:
Still testing the equalizer, so far it helped a bit but not yet sure if its placebo or real improvment :D.

For sure it's not placebo. You can actually enable and disable the equalizer in realtime while music is playing so you can hear the difference. Simply point the the main config file to a null.txt with no EQ adjustment and Ctrl+Z to revert to the hifimanhe400fix.txt. You'll hear the difference immediately....

Perhaps we should take this to pm?

May 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #10,430 of 22,116
Quote:
Honestly the velour mod is too advanced for most people, from the feedback I've read over the course of people doing the mod. I've been tampering around it myself recently and honestly, sewing might actually be the most convenient as well as (obviously) the most robust method for it, took me about an hour to do the sewing job onto both pads with my nonexistent sewing skills, and the results are much better than the tape method. Overall though I've been shying away from pushing this part of the jergpad mod on people nowadays because of the labour-intensiveness of it compared to the other 3 parts of the mod.

That said, it makes a huge difference if you can pull it off. There is still a hint of residual pleather muddiness in the jergpads without the velour mod, and that gets cleaned up nicely with it.

Quick photo of the velour top sewing I did recently:

Those damping holes look so homogeneous. These pads look very nice, they are very sell-able. Even though you don't want to!

May 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #10,431 of 22,116
Quote:
Those damping holes look so homogeneous. These pads look very nice, they are very sell-able. Even though you don't want to!

Thanks. Oh I would def sell some if I could make some, but for the time being it's a time investment I can't afford to make. I was hoping someone good at modding would do that (do the jergpad as commissions for other head-fiers) but so far nothing concrete.

May 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #10,432 of 22,116
Thanks. Oh I would def sell some if I could make some, but for the time being it's a time investment I can't afford to make. I was hoping someone good at modding would do that (do the jergpad as commissions for other head-fiers) but so far nothing concrete.

Have you figured out the cost and time investment? I'm guessing it would become cost prohibitive if you wanted to make a legitimate profit. Then again, with what people pay for cables...

May 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #10,433 of 22,116
Quote:
Have you figured out the cost and time investment? I'm guessing it would become cost prohibitive if you wanted to make a legitimate profit. Then again, with what people pay for cables...

I mod fairly slowly and carefully so I would say per pair of pads, it takes me 40 mins to do Part 1, 10 mins to do Part 2, probably upwards to an hour to do Part 3 (I'm terrible at sewing), and 5 mins to do Part 4. So in total about 2 hours with no breaks. If they are done in bulk, that could be cut down to 1h30m maybe, not sure though.

In terms of material costs, it's close to nothing (tape you can get in dollar stores, and scissors you would have already) more than the pads themselves.

So in that sense then if this is to be made into a legitimately profitable venture, payment for around 2 hours of fairly taxing work would be fair - something around 50-70$ (on top of the customer paying for round shipping costs, and for the pleather pads + velour pads, ofc) depending on the modder's expertise, efficiency, and greed. Lol.

May 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #10,434 of 22,116
I mod fairly slowly and carefully so I would say per pair of pads, it takes me 40 mins to do Part 1, 10 mins to do Part 2, probably upwards to an hour to do Part 3 (I'm terrible at sewing), and 5 mins to do Part 4. So in total about 2 hours with no breaks. If they are done in bulk, that could be cut down to 1h30m maybe, not sure though.

In terms of material costs, it's close to nothing (tape you can get in dollar stores, and scissors you would have already) more than the pads themselves.

So in that sense then if this is to be made into a legitimately profitable venture, payment for around 2 hours of fairly taxing work would be fair - something around 50-70$ (on top of the customer paying for round shipping costs, and for the pleather pads + velour pads, ofc) depending on the modder's expertise, efficiency, and greed. Lol.

See? That's kind of what I thought except I'd think you'd need to redouble the price for a truly profitable venture. If I were to do it, I'd try to source raw velour instead of tearing apart pads for it thus reducing cost. I'm thinking they'd come in at a price of $100 - $150 were I to do it and I'm not sure there would be demand at that price point.

May 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #10,435 of 22,116
Quote:
See? That's kind of what I thought except I'd think you'd need to redouble the price for a truly profitable venture. If I were to do it, I'd try to source raw velour instead of tearing apart pads for it thus reducing cost. I'm thinking they'd come in at a price of $100 - $150 were I to do it and I'm not sure there would be demand at that price point.

Good points and yep, at that price the demand would go off a cliff. This is probably best staying as a DIY mod.

May 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #10,436 of 22,116
The J$'s cannot have been profitable

May 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #10,437 of 22,116
Quote:

Which makes me wonder how much the Chinese persons making these headphones earn by the hour . . .

No offense but I wouldn't pay anyone 25-35 dollars an hour for custom pads. I would, however, pay an extra 25 bucks for a better headband and softer pads for the HE-400s by default.

Given that I am fairly certain I don't want my leather pads, I will probably eventually 'mod' them just for the sake of discovering whether there is a worthwhile improvement in sound or not.

May 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #10,438 of 22,116
Quote:
Which makes me wonder how much the Chinese persons making these headphones earn by the hour . . .

No offense but I wouldn't pay anyone 25-35 dollars an hour for custom pads. I would, however, pay an extra 25 bucks for a better headband and softer pads for the HE-400s by default.

Given that I am fairly certain I don't want my leather pads, I will probably eventually 'mod' them just for the sake of discovering whether there is a worthwhile improvement in sound or not.

Dude, making custom things by hand is a whole different story from a company having the funds to automate and outsource manufacturing and components. Just stating the cold hard facts regarding how things go in enthusiast hobbies. I'd love it if Hifiman decides to revamp their earpads and make them achieve what modded pads could achieve, and sell em for $30 or 40. Who wouldn't want better consistency + assurance that replacement service is reliable, all for cheaper?

May 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #10,439 of 22,116
Quote:

Dude, making custom things by hand is a whole different story from a company having the funds to automate and outsource manufacturing and components. Just stating the cold hard facts regarding how things go in enthusiast hobbies. I'd love it if Hifiman decides to revamp their earpads and make them achieve what modded pads could achieve, and sell em for $30 or 40. Who wouldn't want better consistency + assurance that replacement service is reliable, all for cheaper?

You should present the idea to Dr. Fang and send him a pair of jergpads. Maybe he likes it and start producing and selling them in large-scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back