**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #10,441 of 22,116
Quote:
You should present the idea to Dr. Fang and send him a pair of jergpads. Maybe he likes it and start producing and selling them in large-scale.

Definitely a good proposition!  There's already data to back up jergs findings and results, plus some success stories...I'm sure he'd appreciate it!  This weekend became very busy for me last minute, but I'll get around to trying my hand at them next week hopefully.

May 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #10,443 of 22,116
I'd rather not reach out to any of these guys myself, as it would seem like too much of a try-hard move. If a good number of you actually do the mod AND are impressed with the results, then collectively you could do some petition thread, that'd be the most legitimizing method for getting peeps like Fang or professional modders to consider things.

May 10, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #10,444 of 22,116
Dr. Fang is mostly likely very aware of the Jerg Pads. He keeps a close eye on Head-Fi threads and it would have been impossible to miss. He probably had someone in the company actually do the mod, or maybe not. Not sure.
normal_smile .gif
 (Either way he probably has new projects he's working. Fine tuning the HE-400/500 through pad modification is probably not high up in his priorities.)

I agree with Jerg in that this should be purely left in the DIY realm of things.

May 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #10,445 of 22,116
Quote:
I'd rather not reach out to any of these guys myself, as it would seem like too much of a try-hard move. If a good number of you actually do the mod AND are impressed with the results, then collectively you could do some petition thread, that'd be the most legitimizing method for getting peeps like Fang or professional modders to consider things.

Not a bad idea. I'd support it
wink.gif

May 10, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #10,446 of 22,116
The HFM pads are pretty much 100% identical to my super cheap price Superlux $40 headphones pads side-by-side which leads me to believe they are not made specifically for HFM's.

May 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #10,447 of 22,116
To those that use the 400 with the Lyr:

Is the burn-in effect for real for the Lyr ? Meaning, as I use the Lyr more frequently, I notice that, to my ears, an expansion in the overall sound in the 400; everything seems to open up, the sound has become more detailed and what's even better, I am not increasing the volume knob on the Lyr (used to be at 11 o'clock, now closer to 9).

May 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #10,448 of 22,116
Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but I have a lot of curly hair and wearing headphones for a long period, will flatten the hair.
Split headbands are really a good solution, so a split headband mod would be pretty awesome for the HE400.

The downside would be that it's irreversible, and finding the right headband would be pretty tough I recon.

May 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #10,449 of 22,116
I posted in the HD650 thread saying that I prefer the HE400's because they are easy to drive, and some over there have mentioned that the HD650's can still sound good from a portable amp. I'm here trying to get both sides of the story before pulling the trigger lol.

According to David Mahler, the HE400's can sound good even out of an iPod. I'm sure that they will still sound better out of an CMoyBB or something similar. I mentioned the CMoyBB because someone said the HD650's sound fine coming out of those. However, David Mahler also said that the HE400's sound good from an E17, while the HD650's do not.

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what is better:
iPod Classic 7G --> CMoyBB --> HD650
or
iPod Classic 7G --> CMoyBB (or E17) --> HE400

Also, I noticed how the CMoyBB is an amp, while the E17 is an amp/DAC. Am I missing out on a lot by getting an amp instead of an amp/DAC? Additionally, I plan on getting the DragonFly to listen to music on my cpu. Without a desktop amp, is that still efficient with either of these cans?

Thanks in advance guys

May 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #10,450 of 22,116
No reason to get the e17 if you are getting the dragonfly too. You can't use the e17 DAC with the ipod anyway...

May 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #10,451 of 22,116
Quote:
Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but I have a lot of curly hair and wearing headphones for a long period, will flatten the hair.
Split headbands are really a good solution, so a split headband mod would be pretty awesome for the HE400.

The downside would be that it's irreversible, and finding the right headband would be pretty tough I recon.

Many women would love to have that "problem".

I could see HFM marketing it to appeal to the female consumer
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #10,452 of 22,116
Quote:
No reason to get the e17 if you are getting the dragonfly too. You can't use the e17 DAC with the ipod anyway...

May 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #10,453 of 22,116
Quote:
I posted in the HD650 thread saying that I prefer the HE400's because they are easy to drive, and some over there have mentioned that the HD650's can still sound good from a portable amp. I'm here trying to get both sides of the story before pulling the trigger lol.

According to David Mahler, the HE400's can sound good even out of an iPod. I'm sure that they will still sound better out of an CMoyBB or something similar. I mentioned the CMoyBB because someone said the HD650's sound fine coming out of those. However, David Mahler also said that the HE400's sound good from an E17, while the HD650's do not.

or

Also, I noticed how the CMoyBB is an amp, while the E17 is an amp/DAC. Am I missing out on a lot by getting an amp instead of an amp/DAC? Additionally, I plan on getting the DragonFly to listen to music on my cpu. Without a desktop amp, is that still efficient with either of these cans?

Thanks in advance guys

I can't really tell the difference between the HE400 directly into an iPad2 and the HE400 with the ODAC/O2.  To give you a reference point for my hearing acuity, I can tell the difference between 24-bit, 96khz Nine Inch Nails - The Slip and the 320kbps, mp3 version.  You can download it for free here: http://theslip.nin.com/

May 11, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #10,454 of 22,116

or

Thanks in advance guys

Sometimes I have to wonder if I have the same 400s as everyone else. I consider mine hugely amplification dependent. They did not come alive until I switched away from my portable Pico dac/amp. Wasn't a matter of volume but of SQ.

May 11, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #10,455 of 22,116
Quote:
Sometimes I have to wonder if I have the same 400s as everyone else. I consider mine hugely amplification dependent. They did not come alive until I switched away from my portable Pico dac/amp. Wasn't a matter of volume but of SQ.

Not to worry. I have the same 400 as you do. Mine is very dependent on the amplification as well. Between the Lyr and the Soloist, that's taken care of adequately
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back