**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #10,456 of 22,116
Quote:
Many women would love to have that "problem".

I could see HFM marketing it to appeal to the female consumer
biggrin.gif

It's a blessing and a curse I'm afraid. I doubt hifiman would implement a split headband, or make a lighter headphone for the sake of hair :p
I recon about 50% of hifiman's customers is bald/balding anyway!
But honestly it's the reason I don't use this headphone more often.

May 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #10,457 of 22,116
May 12, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #10,458 of 22,116
I mean, you could just as well get an e11 or another portable amp with no built in dac, because you won't be using the dac anyway.

True, but Fiio hasn't made a portable amp only that has both bass and treble controls. That treble control is an absolute necessity IMHO. Even if I didn't have a need for portable DAC, I'd get the E17 because of that.

May 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #10,459 of 22,116
Quote:
It's a blessing and a curse I'm afraid. I doubt hifiman would implement a split headband, or make a lighter headphone for the sake of hair :p
I recon about 50% of hifiman's customers is bald/balding anyway!
But honestly it's the reason I don't use this headphone more often.

Well, you could hear them laid down. It may mitigate the issue.

May 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #10,460 of 22,116
Haha, ykno, I just watched an unboxing video of these cans on youtube. The presentation is so terrible and such a buzz kill. I guess it just makes putting them on a more pleasant surprise. If these were in the store though, I can easily see them collecting dust for such a lack of an engaging box.

That being said though, I'm glad I'm choosing these over the HD650's. Since they're a new company, they are probably just spending money on product quality over marketing, and it's nice to support a company that's relatively new that makes a good $/performance ratio product. I would like to think that my purchase will financially help them move forward towards a better marketing scheme, and therefore more attention and sales. Because although I haven't tried their products just yet, from what I read around here, they definitely deserve it.

May 12, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #10,461 of 22,116
Quote:
Sometimes I have to wonder if I have the same 400s as everyone else. I consider mine hugely amplification dependent. They did not come alive until I switched away from my portable Pico dac/amp. Wasn't a matter of volume but of SQ.

Agree.  I noticed significant changes when I switched from the NuForce IconHD to the Yulong D18/A18 combo.  The NuForce was brighter but brought out the vocals a bit more.  The Yulong has much better imaging, sound-stage depth and micro detail.  I also noticed the bass was more powerful on the Yulong combo.

May 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #10,462 of 22,116
Agree.  I noticed significant changes when I switched from the NuForce IconHD to the Yulong D18/A18 combo.  The NuForce was brighter but brought out the vocals a bit more.  The Yulong has much better imaging, sound-stage depth and micro detail.  I also noticed the bass was more powerful on the Yulong combo.

I got rid of my Nuforce dac2 before I got my HE-400 but I imagine the pairing to be purty ugly.

May 12, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #10,466 of 22,116
though I would love a solid build of Jergpads, I do kinda like my botch DIY job as well :D They've survived some travels which is awesome. 

I contributed to the sound improvement of my cans (and the headband mod cushion is nice too) at the advice of Jerg. 

May 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #10,467 of 22,116
Quote:
I can't really tell the difference between the HE400 directly into an iPad2 and the HE400 with the ODAC/O2.  To give you a reference point for my hearing acuity, I can tell the difference between 24-bit, 96khz Nine Inch Nails - The Slip and the 320kbps, mp3 version.  You can download it for free here: http://theslip.nin.com/

I don't get your point. Are you saying that the iPad2 has superior dedicated audio amplification, or just audio quality on par with the O2/ODAC? Because your comment seems like more of a knock against an amp than against a headphone.

The iPad doesn't have close to the power of the O2 either, so 'loudness' should be the most obvious difference here.

May 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #10,468 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't get your point. Are you saying that the iPad2 has superior dedicated audio amplification, or just audio quality on par with the O2/ODAC? Because your comment seems like more of a knock against an amp than against a headphone.

The iPad doesn't have close to the power of the O2 either, so 'loudness' should be the most obvious difference here.

I'm saying that I can't tell the difference in sound quality on the iPad2 with my HE400 plugged directly into it versus iPad2 -> O2 -> HE400 at the same volume with ALAC files.  I think the iPad2 can get plenty of volume for the HE400.  I haven't really compared an iPad2 with the HE400 directly connected to it versus the O2/ODAC with the HE400 yet.  Sorry for any ambiguity.

May 13, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #10,469 of 22,116
Soooooo I just jumped on the HiFiMan bandwagon with my new purchase of HE-400's. I got them off of head-direct Friday morning and as soon as I ordered, I realized that the velours didn't come with them and made a second order. I ordered the headphones with express 2 day shipping (got a little excited) and I did standard on the velours. Now, I got a confirmation email on Sunday saying that my velour pads had shipped but I still haven't received an email regarding the cans themselves (even though I paid for faster shipping). Is it possible that they have already sent them and didn't have enough time to send me tracking info? Just curious if anyone else went through head-direct and had similar issues.

The ETA on open planar magnetic bass smack is farther away than I would like...

May 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #10,470 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm saying that I can't tell the difference in sound quality on the iPad2 with my HE400 plugged directly into it versus iPad2 -> O2 -> HE400 at the same volume with ALAC files.  I think the iPad2 can get plenty of volume for the HE400.  I haven't really compared an iPad2 with the HE400 directly connected to it versus the O2/ODAC with the HE400 yet.  Sorry for any ambiguity.

You would be very capable of hearing the differences in sound when comparing directly I recon.
Not sure if the ipad is much better sounding than the iphone, but my audinst amp/dac sounds way way better than the iphone. And the 02/ODAC setup should sound better than the audinst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back