**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 14, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #10,488 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant.

In the case of Schiit amps, heating was already expected since the chassis is so small.

Yeah, over 1W of power from such a little thing is a bit unsettling to say the least.

May 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #10,489 of 22,116
Guys just outta interest, what IEMs do you use along with HE-400?

I am in need of an IEM because I can't stay home all the time and would like to find the IEM that sounds roughly similar to the HE-400. Something fun, fast, great bass, non recessed mids (with jergpads and slight EQ), and sparkly highs is what I am looking for... 

Any recommendations?

May 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #10,490 of 22,116
Quote:

I am in need of an IEM because I can't stay home all the time and would like to find the IEM that sounds roughly similar to the HE-400. Something fun, fast, great bass, non recessed mids (with jergpads and slight EQ), and sparkly highs is what I am looking for... 

Any recommendations?

I vote tdk ba200! They don't have recessed mids though, but they are warm sounding.

May 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #10,491 of 22,116
Quote:

Any recommendations?

I would recommend the GR07-BE (naturally as I own it 
tongue.gif
 ).  There are a lot of options out there that would be well suited, and I've heard good things about Marleybob217's recommendation with the BA200 - it's one IEM I've considered and would like to try sometime.  It is a balanced armature design though, so I'm personally not sure how the bass presentation would compare between a dynamic IEM or a planar bass presentation.  I can say the low end response of the BE is pretty spectacular IMO and it's quite fun sounding overall.

May 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #10,492 of 22,116
^Thanks :)

The BA200s come incredibly cheap nowadays, I believe you can buy them on amazon for €99.
Don't forget, the comply tips isolate well, but sound really bad. The silicone tips provided are a bit uncomfortable, so you probably need to buy some other silicone sleeves. I use the shure flex sleeves, they work very well.

May 14, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #10,493 of 22,116
Nope I have magni and modi next to each other not stacked on top. I guess this might be an excuse for me to go up to the lyr, although I don't want to as I don't really need all that extra power from what I read with the he400. Mine might just be a defect. I played it for only 30 mins. That night too. it's a shame to see this as I only had it for two months, but then again it's $100 can't expect it to do everything.

I might ended up staying with the magni as I am thinking about getting another headphone like the he500, k702 anv.,or lcd2. Although I haven't made a decision yet as some say don't since I enjoy the he400. I'm curious and hope to find a slightly better headphone to settle on, I like having two headphones that I really like to switch back and forth.

May 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #10,494 of 22,116
Quote:
Nope I have magni and modi next to each other not stacked on top. I guess this might be an excuse for me to go up to the lyr, although I don't want to as I don't really need all that extra power from what I read with the he400. Mine might just be a defect. I played it for only 30 mins. That night too. it's a shame to see this as I only had it for two months, but then again it's $100 can't expect it to do everything.

I might ended up staying with the magni as I am thinking about getting another headphone like the he500, k702 anv.,or lcd2. Although I haven't made a decision yet as some say don't since I enjoy the he400. I'm curious and hope to find a slightly better headphone to settle on, I like having two headphones that I really like to switch back and forth.

Well you can expect it to work lol. If it keeps happening take advantage of your warranty. There's no way it would be overheating in 30 minutes under any normal circumstances. I don't know about the Magni but they say it's cool to leave the Asgard on 24/7.

May 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #10,495 of 22,116
Quote:

Any recommendations?

RE-400, though not similar sounding 
size]

May 14, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #10,496 of 22,116
Well you can expect it to work lol. If it keeps happening take advantage of your warranty. There's no way it would be overheating in 30 minutes under any normal circumstances. I don't know about the Magni but they say it's cool to leave the Asgard on 24/7.

True that. I'll try to contact them about it to see what they think, I would hate to waste money on shipping for something this cheap. It only happened once although I haven't spent awhole lot of time afterward.

May 14, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #10,497 of 22,116
Quote:
I vote tdk ba200! They don't have recessed mids though, but they are warm sounding.

Thanks for suggestion :) They were on my radar although I have been looking into their successor IE800 as well. How are the highs on those in comparison to HE-400? I am slightly hesitant on those because I heard the trebles are are on the laid back side whereas my preference are the in your face detailed like the HE-400s.

Quote:
I would recommend the GR07-BE (naturally as I own it 
tongue.gif
 ).  There are a lot of options out there that would be well suited, and I've heard good things about Marleybob217's recommendation with the BA200 - it's one IEM I've considered and would like to try sometime.  It is a balanced armature design though, so I'm personally not sure how the bass presentation would compare between a dynamic IEM or a planar bass presentation.  I can say the low end response of the BE is pretty spectacular IMO and it's quite fun sounding overall.

Haven't thought of that one. I'll have a look :) Cheers for the suggestion!
Quote:
RE-400, though not similar sounding 
size]

Another one that was on my list. How are they in general? Not much info of these on the net and would like to hear some opinion from a HE-400 owner! :D

May 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #10,498 of 22,116
Quote:
Thanks for suggestion :) They were on my radar although I have been looking into their successor IE800 as well. How are the highs on those in comparison to HE-400? I am slightly hesitant on those because I heard the trebles are are on the laid back side whereas my preference are the in your face detailed like the HE-400s.

Haven't thought of that one. I'll have a look :) Cheers for the suggestion!
Another one that was on my list. How are they in general? Not much info of these on the net and would like to hear some opinion from a HE-400 owner! :D

RE-400 received positive reviews from both ClieOS and Joker:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-279-iems-compared-audio-technica-ckm500-added-05-01-13-p-678 (2C54)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653370/review-hifiman-re400-waterline-the-new-reference

May 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #10,499 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm saying that I can't tell the difference in sound quality on the iPad2 with my HE400 plugged directly into it versus iPad2 -> O2 -> HE400 at the same volume with ALAC files.  I think the iPad2 can get plenty of volume for the HE400.  I haven't really compared an iPad2 with the HE400 directly connected to it versus the O2/ODAC with the HE400 yet.  Sorry for any ambiguity.

Oh I see. It makes sense that you would not hear a difference, as you are still using the iPad's DAC and amplification - the O2 is just replicating that output with the benefit of higher power.

My Cell Phone sounds just as crappy with or without the O2 plugged in to it. A better way to 'upgrade' your listening experience would be to try a different source with the O2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back