**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 14, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #10,501 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm saying that I can't tell the difference in sound quality on the iPad2 with my HE400 plugged directly into it versus iPad2 -> O2 -> HE400 at the same volume with ALAC files.  I think the iPad2 can get plenty of volume for the HE400.  I haven't really compared an iPad2 with the HE400 directly connected to it versus the O2/ODAC with the HE400 yet.  Sorry for any ambiguity.

Oh I see. It makes sense that you would not hear a difference, as you are still using the iPad's DAC and amplification - the O2 is just replicating that output with the benefit of higher power.

My Cell Phone sounds just as crappy with or without the O2 plugged in to it. A better way to 'upgrade' your listening experience would be to try a different source with the O2.

But even with different source don't expect massive change.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

May 15, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #10,502 of 22,116
Any other Re-400 fans out there? They're worth the $100? 

flying lotus on these babies (the he-400's jerg'ed up) specifically RobertaFlack is delicious. The bass and the vocals. 

May 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #10,503 of 22,116
Quote:
Oh I see. It makes sense that you would not hear a difference, as you are still using the iPad's DAC and amplification - the O2 is just replicating that output with the benefit of higher power.

My Cell Phone sounds just as crappy with or without the O2 plugged in to it. A better way to 'upgrade' your listening experience would be to try a different source with the O2.

Ah, that makes sense.  

May 15, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #10,504 of 22,116
Does anyone know if the internal hole shape of the pad affects the sound ?
For example a circle vs the Stax 007 pad which is half circular and half oval to mimic in a simpler way the human ear shape....

I can see the pad material and then pad density and hole size would affect the sound leakage and effective sound wave transmission to the ear (and of course the jerg mods beyond that).....I'm just unsure how much a symmetrical hole vs asymmetrical hole would translate to any difference in sound ?

May 15, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #10,505 of 22,116
Quote:

flying lotus on these babies (the he-400's jerg'ed up) specifically RobertaFlack is delicious. The bass and the vocals. 

From what I've heard... If I want new IEM's I would consider them. But read some reviews.

May 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #10,506 of 22,116
Quote:
Thanks for suggestion :) They were on my radar although I have been looking into their successor IE800 as well. How are the highs on those in comparison to HE-400? I am slightly hesitant on those because I heard the trebles are are on the laid back side whereas my preference are the in your face detailed like the HE-400s.

Haven't thought of that one. I'll have a look :) Cheers for the suggestion!
Another one that was on my list. How are they in general? Not much info of these on the net and would like to hear some opinion from a HE-400 owner! :D

Their treble is not in your face like with the HE400. And like most IEMs the treble is a bit rolled off. However, using silicone tips definitely increases the treble. Don't get me wrong the treble is nice and sparkly and very even sounding. But it doesn't have HE-400 detail, but I don't think any IEM in that price range has.

May 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #10,507 of 22,116
Quote:
Their treble is not in your face like with the HE400. And like most IEMs the treble is a bit rolled off. However, using silicone tips definitely increases the treble. Don't get me wrong the treble is nice and sparkly and very even sounding. But it doesn't have HE-400 detail, but I don't think any IEM in that price range has.

Fair point I may be too greedy even though I am looking for the best price/performance wise lol.

From some people's opinions though, maybe the RE-272 or the Heir 3.ai does the detail in treble.

May 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #10,508 of 22,116
Quote:
Fair point I may be too greedy even though I am looking for the best price/performance wise lol.

From some people's opinions though, maybe the RE-272 or the Heir 3.ai does the detail in treble.

From all the reviews I've read, the new RE-400 is shaping up to be the king of price/performance in the $100 range.  I'll be getting a pair for the GF for her birthday to lure her to the dark side.  Also, Joker just posted his review of the BE on his IEM thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-281-iems-compared-vsonic-gr07-be-and-r02-silver-added-05-15-13-p-688/10305#post_9439298 
wink.gif

May 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #10,509 of 22,116
Quote:
From all the reviews I've read, the new RE-400 is shaping up to be the king of price/performance in the $100 range.  I'll be getting a pair for the GF for her birthday to lure her to the dark side.  Also, Joker just posted his review of the BE on his IEM thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-281-iems-compared-vsonic-gr07-be-and-r02-silver-added-05-15-13-p-688/10305#post_9439298 
wink.gif

Yes it is from what I found out as well. 

However, that is the case for the US and not necessarily the case elsewhere.

For instance, TDK IE800 sells for 70 dollars in Korea (will be visiting in the summer... but can I wait 2 months? lol) and RE-400 is not much cheaper in comparison to other brands in UK which is why my hunt for new IEMs are quite difficult as of now.

I wanna grab the RE-272s second hand from the sales forum here but the seller wouldn't respond I dunno why. 

May 15, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #10,510 of 22,116
I just got my HE-400 and I gotta say, these are probably the most sibilant cans I've ever listened to. Ear piercing highs... Every song I've tried (flac/320, various different artists and recordings, etc.) that has a lyric with the letter "s" in it, it's ear piercing. Cymbals aren't quite as bad but still painful. I've tried a lot of EQ in foobar to reduce the highs but I can't seem to get rid of the sibilance without losing the highs all together... and volume definitely isn't the issue 

I'm hoping someone has a really really good plan for me?? 
size]
 It seems most people have zero issues in this category :frowning2:

May 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #10,511 of 22,116
Quote:
I just got my HE-400 and I gotta say, these are probably the most sibilant cans I've ever listened to. Ear piercing highs... Every song I've tried (flac/320, various different artists and recordings, etc.) that has a lyric with the letter "s" in it, it's ear piercing. Cymbals aren't quite as bad but still painful. I've tried a lot of EQ in foobar to reduce the highs but I can't seem to get rid of the sibilance without losing the highs all together... and volume definitely isn't the issue 

I'm hoping someone has a really really good plan for me?? 
size]
 It seems most people have zero issues in this category :frowning2:

It's part of the intentional tuning of these cans to make em fun-sounding. Unfortunately the colouration is a bit too much for those who are sensitive to sibilance. The easiest way to "EQ fix" it is to use parametric EQ and put in a sharp notch centered around 12kHz or so that extends from 9kHz to 16kHz.

May 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #10,512 of 22,116
Quote:
It's part of the intentional tuning of these cans to make em fun-sounding. Unfortunately the colouration is a bit too much for those who are sensitive to sibilance. The easiest way to "EQ fix" it is to use parametric EQ and put in a sharp notch centered around 12kHz or so that extends from 9kHz to 16kHz.

Is there any sort of modding trick to help dampen them?

May 16, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #10,515 of 22,116
Quote:

i like them, they're well rounded.  though i dont have much experience with IEMs lately other than customs.  i got in a bunch of the RE-400 after checking out a sample and will be adding them to the page as soon as i have time

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back