**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #10,396 of 22,116
Jergpads are leather right?
If so, I cant use leather (my sweat is salty, it destroys leather and such things).

My HE-400 are moded with beyerdynamic pads and i really like them. The problem is, in gaming, the treble is sometimes so hot i simply cant use them.

It will go down to real world testing, but if the HE-500 treble is strongly present, i probably wont be able to use it anyway.

OFC this also means ill ahve to mod the LCD-2 as well :D.

May 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #10,397 of 22,116
They're made from the stock hifiman pleathers, which as its pros and cons.  For one a good synthetic pleather is usually more durable than leather, and the protein pleather of the hifiman pads looks durable to me.  On the other hand they won't breathe causing you to sweat more.

I expect Jerg to come in and talk about not looking at the velour mod step in his topic though.

May 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #10,398 of 22,116
Quote:
They're made from the stock hifiman pleathers, which as its pros and cons.  For one a good synthetic pleather is usually more durable than leather, and the protein pleather of the hifiman pads looks durable to me.  On the other hand they won't breathe causing you to sweat more.

I expect Jerg to come in and talk about not looking at the velour mod step in his topic though.

Honestly the velour mod is too advanced for most people, from the feedback I've read over the course of people doing the mod. I've been tampering around it myself recently and honestly, sewing might actually be the most convenient as well as (obviously) the most robust method for it, took me about an hour to do the sewing job onto both pads with my nonexistent sewing skills, and the results are much better than the tape method. Overall though I've been shying away from pushing this part of the jergpad mod on people nowadays because of the labour-intensiveness of it compared to the other 3 parts of the mod.

That said, it makes a huge difference if you can pull it off. There is still a hint of residual pleather muddiness in the jergpads without the velour mod, and that gets cleaned up nicely with it.

Quick photo of the velour top sewing I did recently:

May 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #10,400 of 22,116
Quote:
Looks good Jerg, I like the blue string used, that would go well with the HE-400. That pic is the HE-500 right?

Yep. The blueness shows up because I had flash on my camera though, under normal light it looks black. But yeah, having done the sewing this once gave me enough experience that if I am to make another pair of jergpads in the future for myself, it should be no-problemo. That's the nature of modding, it's about accumulating experience.

May 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #10,401 of 22,116
Quote:
Jergpads are leather right?
If so, I cant use leather (my sweat is salty, it destroys leather and such things).

My HE-400 are moded with beyerdynamic pads and i really like them. The problem is, in gaming, the treble is sometimes so hot i simply cant use them.

It will go down to real world testing, but if the HE-500 treble is strongly present, i probably wont be able to use it anyway.

OFC this also means ill ahve to mod the LCD-2 as well :D.

I agree that the HE-400's treble can be too hot for some gaming, things like gun shots can be piercing at times. Luckily someone posted not too long ago a universal EQ program for Windows. It works system wide so you can EQ your games, internet browser, youtube, etc. The program really is a life saver. EqualizerAPO incase you're interested.

May 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #10,402 of 22,116
Quote:
Honestly the velour mod is too advanced for most people, from the feedback I've read over the course of people doing the mod. I've been tampering around it myself recently and honestly, sewing might actually be the most convenient as well as (obviously) the most robust method for it, took me about an hour to do the sewing job onto both pads with my nonexistent sewing skills, and the results are much better than the tape method. Overall though I've been shying away from pushing this part of the jergpad mod on people nowadays because of the labour-intensiveness of it compared to the other 3 parts of the mod.

That said, it makes a huge difference if you can pull it off. There is still a hint of residual pleather muddiness in the jergpads without the velour mod, and that gets cleaned up nicely with it.

Quick photo of the velour top sewing I did recently:

I think I might finally give this mod a try with my pair of pleathers and velours.  I was planning on sewing originally, but you did a really nice job here and it's good to visualize how it will come out.  One more project to the list 
tongue.gif

May 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #10,403 of 22,116
Quote:
I think I might finally give this mod a try with my pair of pleathers and velours.  I was planning on sewing originally, but you did a really nice job here and it's good to visualize how it will come out.  One more project to the list 
tongue.gif

Go for it dude, I can't speak higher of the mod. Here's my pair

All that's left now is to mod the headband for comfort, keep an eye out I may have something in the next few weeks.

May 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #10,404 of 22,116
Quote:

All that's left now is to mod the headband for comfort, keep an eye out I may have something in the next few weeks.

I have a question for your mother who did the sewing there; how did she tie off the tailing end of the thread after sewing all the way around? That's by far the biggest trouble I have with sewing - how to finish tying it off so it doesn't just come loose over time.

May 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #10,406 of 22,116

Nice! Yeah, same here on the headband pad...I've actually already got my cutting and sewing supplies out working on that, so I may as well do up some jergpads afterwards.

May 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #10,407 of 22,116
Quote:
She tied a knot or two on the tailing end as close to the pad as possible, and then cut off the excess string. You can see it in the pic here. I could probably shave off a couple more millimeters off the excess, but im not bothered.

Hm that's a different sewing style than what I used, I zigzagged over and under between the velour material and the pleather underneath, rather than the straight sew pattern with your pads.

May 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #10,408 of 22,116
Quote:
Hm that's a different sewing style than what I used, I zigzagged over and under between the velour material and the pleather underneath, rather than the straight sew pattern with your pads.

Ah right, your method would take more work I'd assume. But I think tying a knot at the end would still work no?

I used the zigzag technique when sewing the mounting ring to the pad, so I know from experience how much work it is. I think it's noticeable in my first pic.

May 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #10,409 of 22,116
Quote:
Don't post graphs if you can't interpret them properly ("It looks kinda similar to me..."), also comparing graphs across two different sources (even if they are measured by the same person, the compensation curving, smoothing, and scaling are different) makes the comparison null. 

Here are two pairs of measurements (each pair with exact same plotting parametres*** this is important!).

Measurement pair 1:

HE400: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf
HE500: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE500.pdf

Note the critical difference being the 12kHz peak of HE400 that even has some temporal ringing trailing after it, THAT is the problematic peak. HE500's cleanly-decayed smooth hump centered around 10kHz is actually very smooth-sounding and adds to the treble detail and spark with no grain or tizz. Also, the upper midrange valley in HE400 accentuates its already biting treble, while HE500's midrange is in-line in levels with its treble hump meaning the treble sounds coherent, not standing out of laying back.

Lastly, measurements are just measurements - they are but a window to the truth. Impressions/reviews-wise you can't find enough praise for HE500's treble smoothness. You don't have a real perspective to argue with, if you haven't auditioned it yet!

Actually the response plots (not the waterfalls) DO look rather similar at a glance. What is more obvious with the HE-400s is the 1 Khz 'hill'. The 400s appear to take about a 10 db 'scoop' out of the 1-6 khz area while the 500's do about 5 db. I assume this makes the HE's appear to have a more 'recessed' upper midrange than the 500s, but the response is overall less flat. That and it probably tames the bass quite a bit.

It is more difficult to see that, in treble extremes, the HE-500 actually do inherently what many do when they EQ the HE-400, which is kill response in the 10-15/20 khz area. Other than that, it is obvious that the HE-500 has different square wave response and lower distortion. Wish I could hear the 500s for a more precise sense of what is going on with them. They are probably quite close to what I try to make the 400s sound like at times.

May 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #10,410 of 22,116
Quote:
Actually the response plots (not the waterfalls) DO look rather similar at a glance. What is more obvious with the HE-400s is the 1 Khz 'hill'. The 400s appear to take about a 10 db 'scoop' out of the 1-6 khz area while the 500's do about 5 db. I assume this makes the HE's appear to have a more 'recessed' upper midrange than the 500s, but the response is overall less flat. That and it probably tames the bass quite a bit.

It is more difficult to see that, in treble extremes, the HE-500 actually do inherently what many do when they EQ the HE-400, which is kill response in the 10-15/20 khz area. Other than that, it is obvious that the HE-500 has different square wave response and lower distortion. Wish I could hear the 500s for a more precise sense of what is going on with them. They are probably quite close to what I try to make the 400s sound like at times.

The thing that hurts HE400's treble so much, and that is the major difference if you A/B between the innerfidelity measurements of 400 vs 500, is the extra peak in the 400 response centered in the teen kHz's.

That is not a benign peak either, as the CSDs do indicate some minor ringing trailing from it (which could explain why the "tizz" is still there, albeit in less amount, when HE400 owners do everything from using pleathers which tone down treble, and straight EQing which also does it - if there is ringing, the tizz sticks around).

This is unlike HE500's treble hump which is just a clean hump that decays fast like the rest of the spectrum, and which reacts remarkably well to any kind of attenuation, whether it be pad change or EQing. It's like playdo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back