**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 5, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #10,366 of 22,116
I still think a deep shade of crimson or wine color would be UHMAZING.

May 5, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #10,367 of 22,116
Quote:
For its sound signature (dark, with sparkly somewhat hot treble) I'd say a black or really dark wine colour, with crimson red speckles, kinda like the Fostex TH900 except maybe darker. Not sure if that is possible with the paint equipment/methods you use though.

That's definitely possible. It won't pop as much as the TH900 due to the materials, but getting the proper paint for that onto the cups and what not shouldn't be a problem.

May 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #10,370 of 22,116
the HE-400 is on my radar at this moment....I would really like to hear them with my new Burson Soloist SL

I think it would be a great intro to planar headphones, and great match with the Burson

my 2channel rig is Magnepan 1.7's....i am a big fan or planar sound...

Will my love of Magnepan 1.7's sound going to translate into the same for the HE-400??

my other headphones are:  HD650, AKG 701, Beyer T-90 and DT-1350

amps:   Decware CSP2,  Burson Soloist SL,  and JDS Labs C421

May 5, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #10,371 of 22,116
By what you have, if you love the T90's treble, the HE-400 shouldn't be a problem.

May 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #10,372 of 22,116
Quote:
By what you have, if you love the T90's treble, the HE-400 shouldn't be a problem.

thanks for the help,
Yeah, you went right to the crux...the T90 is the best treble i have in my collection, although its not for everyone

However, the Tesla driver is something else, it does so many things well, and the T-90 at the $500 range is a real competitor with some of the good ortho/planar (i am still learning, which is the correct term for these type of phones?) on the market.

My guess is the HE-400 will have equal to or better treble, and will have that awesome planar mid-range i crave so much

That is my favorite characteristic of my Magnepan 1.7's, the mid-range....so much detail, dimension, etc. etc. etc.

May 5, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #10,373 of 22,116
Quote:
I initially modded the pads for my own enjoyment, be thankful that I even bothered to write up a guide for you guys 
rolleyes.gif

You don't need to go comercial... just make one pair for me and it's cool
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #10,375 of 22,116
Quote:
These are technically planar magnetic headphones, even though the term "ortho" is really common but honestly, who cares. I just use the one that sounds cooler. 
biggrin.gif

thanks for the response...so they are the same thing...with electrostat headphones being another category or following into ortho/planar category???

sorry, I should just go look this stuff-up myself, use the internets to my benefit, and save other people the time
wink_face.gif

May 5, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #10,376 of 22,116
Quote:

thanks for the response...so they are the same thing...with electrostat headphones being another category or following into ortho/planar category???

sorry, I should just go look this stuff-up myself, use the internets to my benefit, and save other people the time
wink_face.gif

Planar = Ortho

Orthodynamic was coined by Yamaha, I believe in the 70s (don't quote me on this). But Planar Magnetic is the more techincally correct term.
Eletrostatic Headphones are different.

May 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #10,377 of 22,116
Quote:

wink_face.gif

Don't know what you mean by "category", but electrostatic headphones are called like this because they use electrostatic drivers - a different technology from planar-magnetic headphones. Same goes for dynamic headphones, balanced armature etc...

As for the sound, each one has its own characteristics, not necessarily better or worse than the other, just different. Electrostatics are usually more clear sounding, dynamics have more bass capabilities while planars fall in between the two. This is not a rule though.

May 5, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #10,378 of 22,116
Thanks for the explanation, that about sorts it out for me...just different technologies and designs

anyway, I hope to be posting in this thread about an HE-400 demo soon, really think this is the planar headphone that would be great in my system

thanks again to all for the info and comparisons

May 5, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #10,379 of 22,116
Thanks for the explanation, that about sorts it out for me...just different technologies and designs

anyway, I hope to be posting in this thread about an HE-400 demo soon, really think this is the planar headphone that would be great in my system

May 5, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #10,380 of 22,116
Quote:

Yep. Don't know if "technology" would be the most appropriated word though. Maybe "technique". Anyway, In the end it's just different paths to the same end, which is to produce sound in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back