**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 12, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #4,786 of 22,116
Quote:
Hello, some days ago I bought a new pair of headphones - HiFiMAN HE-400!

I'm now looking to buy an Amp. It has to be better  than my current (Asus Xonar Essence ST headphone amp)

I feel like I could use some more bass and I like warm, fun sound.

I listen to Hiphop and Dubstep.

Budget ~300 euro

Feel free to inform me what's good for my headphones, budget, preference and upgrade-worthiness.

Edit: It's gonna stand at home @ my computer so no need portability.

Matrix M-stage may be perfect for you, it has a nice warm sound and plenty of body. You can roll op-amps too if you're looking to adjust the sound. Cost me around 200 euro shipped from China.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #4,788 of 22,116
Quote:
Thanks.. how about the audio gd nfb 15.32? Some guys recomend i get separated dac and amp units.. musiland md10 and a fiio e9 too expensive..

NFB 15.32 would be really good too if you want to have all in one unit.

I can say for myself that Audio GD stuff are really good too and well regarded between audiophiles.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #4,789 of 22,116
Agreed. Loved my NFB5, my current SA-31, and I'm sure I will love my Compass 2 which is currently on it's way here, and should be here Monday. :D

The HE400 pairs up well with the A-GD sound of slightly warm and thick with a smooth upper end.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #4,790 of 22,116
^^ Agreed about the pairing with NFB and the he400. It's been a while but I enjoyed the combo when I had it.  Mad lust...I'd be interested in your impressions and some pics when you get the new Compass in!!

Oh, and Dr. Bian was actually working in my headphones. He lined the traces of the drivers with unobtantium. 
size]

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #4,791 of 22,116
Quote:

Matt, Checking out "Walkin' Down the Road" at this time.  I don't think I'm listening to the remastered version, but it's still very clean and the bass guitar is as you describe - quite prominent.  However, I'm not listening with the HE-400s, just the $4.97 JVC "miracle" ear buds driving by the Schiit at my computer.  Really, really good stuff.  I need to try it all out on the HE-400s.  I was looking through Amazon and saw that "Another Ticket" was also re-released a few years back.  It has "Floating Bridge" on it.  I've never heard Clapton's version of that song, just Greg Allman's on his latest blues covers album.  It is a great listen, too - nice and thick on the lower end.  None of that hissy over-abundance of treble either.

I'm still trying to track down a copy of the 461 Ocean Blvd that I hear on MOG. None of the copies I've found have the same tracks listed and NONE of them seem to be mastered like this one. Gotta find it though. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #4,792 of 22,116
^^ Agreed about the pairing with NFB and the he400. It's been a while but I enjoyed the combo when I had it.  Mad lust...I'd be interested in your impressions and some pics when you get the new Compass in!!

Oh, and Dr. Bian was actually working in my headphones. He lined the traces of the drivers with unobtantium. 
size]

Will do. I'll be using the big sexy Compass 2 + SA-31 stack for a few days before sending the SA-31 back or selling it to a buyer who is interested but is waiting on tax returns. :D

OMG you FINALLY updated your sig!

Why'd you get the E07K? I'm assuming for the LO bypass for bass/treble controls. :p

Does it have the same dac as the E17, just a weaker amp section? I'd be interested for the E07K if the dac is the same as the E17, which was overkill as I didn't need the amp portion, just the bass/treble control.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #4,795 of 22,116
lol...you're the third person who asked me that. I bought two. Got a good price was going to gift one to my dad, but had a change of plans. Could return it but it's usually easy to sell things here. If it doesn't sell, I'll find a use for it. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #4,796 of 22,116
Man, so I started using the warmth jumpers on the SA-31, and though I can't switch fast enough to truly say how different it is vs no jumpers, the SA-31 with jumpers is a crazy good pairing for the HE-400. I mean...DAMN. What an addictive sound coming off the HE-400s. Hell, I may have to keep the SA-31 if the Compass 2 doesn't step up to the plate.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #4,797 of 22,116
Quote:
Man, so I started using the wamrth jumpers on the SA-31, and though I can't switch fast enough to truly say how different it is vs no jumpers, the SA-31 with jumpers is a crazy good pairing for the HE-400. I mean...DAMN. What an addictive sound coming off the HE-400s. Hell, I may have to keep the SA-31 if the Compass 2 doesn't step up to the plate.

Interesting point, I never thought of that!

Will give it a try during the weekend :wink:

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #4,798 of 22,116
Yeah, I haven't messed with the jumpers in forever, and kept the SA-31 in it's most neutral state. Now that I'm using the jumpers, I could swear the HE-400 sounds that much more engaging (as does the K702 Annie).

I guess I will say for sure how much the sound changes once I get the Compass 2 and compare the tonal balance. The Compass 2 is supposed to be quite neutral, so I'll A/B with it and the SA-31 in both neutral, and extra warm settings. Two more days!

It just takes too damn long to add/remove the jumpers to truly gauge how much the sound changes. I wish I had two SA-31's to compare, lol.

Hmm, the Compass 2 has two jumper sections for a warmer sound throuh it's line in. Maybe I'll keep the ODAC and use it there for the extra warmth. We'll see. I may even order the Moon Op-amp (again).

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #4,799 of 22,116
Newest owner of the Magni/Modi + HE-400 club!  Quite a noticeable difference from me coming from the E17s. 

Looks damn sexy on my desk at work!  Although, it's not too portable, I managed. 

What I like about this stack over the E17 is the gain of clarity.  Everything sounds cleaner and clearer than ever before. 
I'm forever the skeptic, always questioning how much of what I read on Head-fi is exaggerated claims, etc.  But I can honestly say that the Schiit stack makes a difference to my ears.

One complaint.  I am hearing loud hissing on some songs, and then no hiss at all on other songs.  Is this what they mean by "revealing"?  Am I finally noticing bad recordings? 

And even though I am content with this stack so far, I can't help but wonder about either upgrading the DAC or going with the Aune T1 tube amp/dac.  Any thoughts?

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #4,800 of 22,116
Quote:

Sure.

The nylon screen cannibalized from the stock pleathers superglued onto one of the mounting rings:

End result:

The mutilated stock pleathers:

Thanks for the pics jerg! I can't wait till I get my pads. BTW did you guys receive any notification from J$ when he shipped the pads saying that he has shipped them? Or did they just arrive?

Also, has anyone noticed that the nylon on the velours are more transparent than the stock pleather nylon? Would this have big (if any) influence on the sound in the pleather vs velour sound differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back