**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #4,756 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah that's what I plan on doing, I've already cut out the nylon off one pad. The nylon really isn't all that stretched so it should work great.

Yeah, I like pleather nylon better than velour nylon (they are quite different), because the pleather nylon actually tunes down treble as it is about double the weave density.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #4,757 of 22,116
Quote:

The lyr and the he400 make a very nice match. BUT...if I didn't have other hp's that were hard to drive, I would have never gotten the lyr. But the lyr just for the he400? Um...no. I'm too frugal to justify that. But for me and my frugality, I justify the lyr because I also use it to drive the hd650 and maddogs. It will make those two SING...the he400 is just a bonus. You might be getting 10% more. If I were not going to drive other hp's such as the ones I've mentioned or ones like the he500/he6, then I'd buy the small Schitt stack no question. 

So if I rationalize with myself that LCD2 or HE-500 are in my future, would you consider the Lyr a good buy? Can it drive the HE-6 or LCD-3?

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #4,758 of 22,116
Quote:
So if I rationalize with myself that LCD2 or HE-500 are in my future, would you consider the Lyr a good buy? Can it drive the HE-6 or LCD-3?

Now you're learning. 
wink_face.gif
 You can add all those to the list for the lyr to play well with the exception of the he6. The lyr would be a minimum for it. 
blink.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #4,759 of 22,116
Quote:

Now you're learning. 
wink_face.gif
 You can add all those to the list for the lyr to play well with the exception of the he6. The lyr would be a minimum for it. 
blink.gif

Think anything would be lost by pairing it with a Modi or ODAC? Of all of my audio obsessions, the one thing I've never been able to justify is $300+ for a DAC.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #4,760 of 22,116
I'm very fond of the odac. It may cost $150 but sounds like it cost 2x that amount. I've not heard the modi yet. I have no problem suggesting the odac...none at all. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #4,761 of 22,116
Quote:

The odac by Audio Poutine is much nicer looking than the jds labs version IMO.

Those are some sexy cabels - are they just RCA, and how much did they run you? Is the ODAC from Audio Poutine more expensive? I'll be honest, I didn't buy one from the other place because of the aesthetics (I won't buy solely on aesthetics, but if there's similar products in regards to quality, I want the sexier one!)

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #4,762 of 22,116
Well, it never hurts to have a little bling and sex appeal to your setup. 
tongue.gif
 I think that those cables were $40 from Trevor at Norse. Very nice guy to deal with. The odac shown above adds to active light to the front panel and also has logo badging to both sides so that you can face it in either direction. Those were extra and added $15 for a total of $165 I do believe. It's a great dac and never had any of the power problems that some of the guys kept mentioning about the jds labs version. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #4,763 of 22,116
Anyone who is a Clapton fan, you MUST fire up: 461 Ocean Blvd: Rarities Edition. There are several versions, so to be sure you've got the right version the first track is Walkin' Down the Road. Crank the volume a bit, put on the he400 and then you will find out why EC truly is the Schitt. 
cool.gif
 And the bass guitar hits insanely hard on the he400...yes, insane. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #4,764 of 22,116
Quote:
Anyone who is a Clapton fan, you MUST fire up: 461 Ocean Blvd: Rarities Edition. There are several versions, so to be sure you've got the right version the first track is Walkin' Down the Road. Crank the volume a bit, put on the he400 and then you will find out why EC truly is the Schitt. 
cool.gif
 And the bass guitar hits insanely hard on the he400...yes, insane. 

I shall need to check it out.  I've been enjoying the re-mastered version (newly released) of Slowhand.  Excellent stuff!

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #4,766 of 22,116
Quote:
Well, it never hurts to have a little bling and sex appeal to your setup. 
tongue.gif
 I think that those cables were $40 from Trevor at Norse. Very nice guy to deal with. The odac shown above adds to active light to the front panel and also has logo badging to both sides so that you can face it in either direction. Those were extra and added $15 for a total of $165 I do believe. It's a great dac and never had any of the power problems that some of the guys kept mentioning about the jds labs version. 

Yeah I don't want to do all this reading about cable intricacy I don't understand and spend $100-plus on them and rant about how great it sounds and how it's night and day (which I believe is totally placebo 99% of the time), but I would like to know that at the very least, I have a nice looking and well-built cable and around $40 sounds perfect. 

I might go with the ODAC (from Audio Poutine) to pair with my Little Dot MKIII and one of those sexy cables, and save up for the Lyr. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #4,767 of 22,116
$40 for a braided cable is a great deal, I would have guessed it was at least a hundred. Although I'm not a believer that they change sound, they just look nice. Plus the flexibility is really nice for headphone cables.

I recently broke my Q cable... luckily Steve's a nice guy and said he would fix it for me.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #4,768 of 22,116
Quote:

What was the foam quality like?

Of what? The pleathers or the J$s? The stock pleathers have a white fairly dense memory foam, while the J$'s use a blue looser and more elastic kind of foam.

(Oh btw I sent you a PM earlier today)

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #4,769 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah I don't want to do all this reading about cable intricacy I don't understand and spend $100-plus on them and rant about how great it sounds and how it's night and day (which I believe is totally placebo 99% of the time), but I would like to know that at the very least, I have a nice looking and well-built cable and around $40 sounds perfect. 

I might go with the ODAC (from Audio Poutine) to pair with my Little Dot MKIII and one of those sexy cables, and save up for the Lyr. 

Sounds like a  good plan to me brother. 
Quote:

I shall need to check it out.  I've been enjoying the re-mastered version (newly released) of Slowhand.  Excellent stuff!

I'm listening to the 461 Ocean Blvd from MOG and quality is other worldly. Can't even imagine listening from the cd. I'm now checking out the 2012 release of Slowhand. Thanks for the heads up on it W.

Wow...Lay Down Sally has never sounded so good!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back