**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #4,652 of 22,116
Quote:
Using iTunes here, any eq settings i should use? Using with the schiit M&M combo

iTunes equalizer isn't really good enough to do much more than just give a broad bass, treble or mids boost. Or at least it's extremely difficult to actually tell what you're really doing with it.

I've got a flatter EQ preset for electri-q. But I do like it without any equalization, they have a very pleasant sound signature.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #4,653 of 22,116
Quote:
Not sure, i'm debating what i'm going for. But i think i want a bit more bass, and a little less treble.

Try this.  I hope your amp has enough overhead for it.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #4,654 of 22,116
Quote:
As someone who just had $26,000 in debt dumped on him by his parents (they opened a business in my name), good credit is decades away for me!

Good credit is actually about 7 years ahead of you. Assuming you don't do something stupid shortly thereafter.

Personal Bankruptcy might shed that debt - look in to it.

While this is an odd story, and I've never heard of parents acting in pure financial evil (even if I have heard of financial shenanigans), its not the end of the world.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #4,655 of 22,116
Hey guys, first post, but I just received my HE-400s and they're great, except doing the http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php test, they fail the bass shaker test. Is this normal for orthos? Or does it mean the headphones still need to be broken in?

Thanks!

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #4,657 of 22,116
Its not that velour isn't comfortable at all, they are just harder padding and a lower quality material of that on a headphone like the HD558's (much softer material and pads) and not as comfortable so the pleather is more comfortable to me.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #4,658 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey guys, first post, but I just received my HE-400s and they're great, except doing the http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php test, they fail the bass shaker test. Is this normal for orthos? Or does it mean the headphones still need to be broken in?

Thanks!

No, that clip is very low bit-rate so you are just hearing the artifacts of lossy compression. If you want to test bass, use a pure tone sinewave generator like SineGen.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #4,659 of 22,116
Just ordered a pair.  Excited to see how they sound with the iBasso D7.  Everything I have sounds better with the D7 so hopefully these will too.  Looking to buy an ALO Pan Am in the next few months but can't find anyone's impressions of it with the HE-400.  Anyone have any thoughts on that pairing? 

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #4,660 of 22,116
Quote:
Good credit is actually about 7 years ahead of you. Assuming you don't do something stupid shortly thereafter.

Personal Bankruptcy might shed that debt - look in to it.

While this is an odd story, and I've never heard of parents acting in pure financial evil (even if I have heard of financial shenanigans), its not the end of the world.

Meh, my parents were trying to give us a better life. I don't blame them for that, I just blame them for letting it get out of hand and not telling me about it.

And none of it can be eliminated via bankruptcy, unfortunately. 

EDIT: But enough about this! HE-400! WOOH!

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #4,662 of 22,116
Quote:
That's a funny relief. Also any idea for finding out which revision of drivers I have?

Take off an earpad, and check that the driver plastic is a clear pearl-white material. (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7r5TcMS3G4)

If you bought the HE400s new from an authorized dealer or from Head-Direct though, it is definitely the correct revision, no need to check.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #4,663 of 22,116
Quote:
No, that clip is very low bit-rate so you are just hearing the artifacts of lossy compression. If you want to test bass, use a pure tone sinewave generator like SineGen.

That clip is wav, actually. Uncompressed.

It's a good test, but you might have better luck downloading it and using something like VLC. There can be problems with browser playback.

I'd like to know what you mean by the test failed though. In what way? Is there a higher pitched ringing noise present?

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #4,664 of 22,116
Quote:
Thanks for helping me clear my stock guys, as well as help me basically recover the money that I donated this December. 

As some of you know, I'm moving to Europe mid week next week, and it seems like I got huge interest from the HE-400
crowd. I never even knew that they worked...I guess they just use a pretty standard size. 

That being said, anyone willing to receive a box of them and ship them out to people who need them? I just don't want 
people to have missed me by a day, and not be able to get them for a year...at least....

Whoever does this, can have as many sets as they need for their headphones. 3, 4 sets, all good. Within reason is
fine with me. 

Thanks!

I think I might be able to take on this activity.  You can PM me with the details (e.g. - number of pads that remain, etc.)  This might ensure that those who come into some $$ a few weeks down the road, can still opt for a good pad.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #4,665 of 22,116
That clip is wav, actually. Uncompressed.

It's a good test, but you might have better luck downloading it and using something like VLC. There can be problems with browser playback.

I'd like to know what you mean by the test failed though. In what way? Is there a higher pitched ringing noise present?

Ringing noise, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back