**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #4,682 of 22,116
Quote:
jerg,

So what are your final impressions of the J$ Beyers vs Pleather and Velours? If you don't mind me asking. 

Thanks

My final impressions are pretty much the same as my impressions last night, they are a huge boost to comfort (there's some magic foam used in there, super soft, and the lambskin is just heavenly) and in terms of sound, it combines the good attributes of the velours with those of the pleathers. I can't see any downside with it compared to the stock earpad types, other than maybe you'd want to cut out a circular piece of foam to act as dust screen since the j$ themselves don't have a built-in nylon screen.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #4,683 of 22,116
Quote:
is tehre any consensus on the best  tube amp for the HE-400 under $500?  or any recommendations

I'd say the Schiit Lyr hybrid amp but take my opinion with a grain of salt as I don't own one and only wish I do. I've heard it pairs very well with the HE-400's plus it has a butt-load of power for the price. Maybe someone who actually owns it can chime in, it's $450 btw. 
http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=3

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #4,686 of 22,116
Quote:
My final impressions are pretty much the same as my impressions last night, they are a huge boost to comfort (there's some magic foam used in there, super soft, and the lambskin is just heavenly) and in terms of sound, it combines the good attributes of the velours with those of the pleathers. I can't see any downside with it compared to the stock earpad types, other than maybe you'd want to cut out a circular piece of foam to act as dust screen since the j$ themselves don't have a built-in nylon screen.

At some point next week, I'll be able to work on distributing the last of the J$ BeyerDynamic pads.  The end of the supply will be heading my way.  Payments will go through Mr. J$, and I'll dispatch them out from the U.S.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #4,687 of 22,116
Quote:

At some point next week, I'll be able to work on distributing the last of the J$ BeyerDynamic pads.  The end of the supply will be heading my way.  Payments will go through Mr. J$, and I'll dispatch them out from the U.S.

How many extras did you get for free out of this deal wayne? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #4,688 of 22,116
Quote:

Uh-oh, I feel like I may be waiting a while for these...

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #4,689 of 22,116
I'd buy it, but theyre not velour, sooooo... :D

I've seen a flagship or something that has leather pads but the part that rests on the skin is velour.

That's what they need to do.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #4,690 of 22,116
Quote:
I'd say the Schiit Lyr hybrid amp but take my opinion with a grain of salt as I don't own one and only wish I do. I've heard it pairs very well with the HE-400's plus it has a butt-load of power for the price. Maybe someone who actually owns it can chime in, it's $450 btw. 
http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=3

I don't think that you can beat the lyr for the money, especially if you are willing to go with a used unit. The are built like a tank and there would typically no worries about buying a gently used unit. Highly recommended. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #4,692 of 22,116
^^ I can testify to this. 
wink.gif
 I can't say the same though. I used to be a high school teacher and my hobby was computers. Now I earn a living with computers. 
redface.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #4,693 of 22,116
he4+ef5 combo arrived

oh god what a difference exactly in the direction I was looking for raw, brutal piano dynamics, harmonics and reverbation

especially with piano and this is only from my vintage sony d-50 mkII (pretty nice amp built-in) only about 5-6 / 10 volume with hard to drive he4 ! shocked (I am waiting for ef5 to warm up a bit before turning it on, I guess I might be shocked even more)

from the first notes there is much more air, details, upper harmonics, definately more mid forward what I like (mids arent recessed and are beautifully exposed, vocals are exactly like should be when you use orthos, like on vintage yamaha orthos)

he400 had definately some treble peak, he4 are definately less fatiguing than he400 because being balanced throughout the whole spectrum and treble energy is felt only as better airness and better soundstage

I guess these headphones have great potential when using with mighty amps but after vintage portable played that good I cant wait for what I am going to hear from ef5/lyr/speaker amp

I should have listened to the guy who advised me he4 at the beginning for "that raw, brutal, dynamic piano with speed, impact and harmonics ..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back