**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #4,666 of 22,116
Quote:
Ringing noise, yes.

Probably some kind of resampling problem, the fault you should be looking for is a rattling driver; the ringing isn't the drivers fault.

I get a ringing if my settings in Windows isn't at 44100KHz. Although VLC seems to re-sample it fine, so you can try to download the file and try it with that.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #4,667 of 22,116
Thanks for helping me clear my stock guys, as well as help me basically recover the money that I donated this December. 

As some of you know, I'm moving to Europe mid week next week, and it seems like I got huge interest from the HE-400
crowd. I never even knew that they worked...I guess they just use a pretty standard size. 

That being said, anyone willing to receive a box of them and ship them out to people who need them? I just don't want 
people to have missed me by a day, and not be able to get them for a year...at least....

Whoever does this, can have as many sets as they need for their headphones. 3, 4 sets, all good. Within reason is
fine with me. 

Thanks!

If you need someone to handle a few few pairs in Canada, I can help out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #4,668 of 22,116

Wha.... Wha?

Denon D2K pads on HE-400s?

I decided to try this out tonight. It was a very easy switch. Comfort is improved by infinity amount - I'm not sure about the sound though. It may be my mind playing tricks on me, but it seems like the bass response is elevated and I might be losing some of the sharpness and attack on the mids/treble.

More head time will determine if I keep them this way.

Thoughts?

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #4,669 of 22,116
Quote:
Wha.... Wha?

Denon D2K pads on HE-400s?

I decided to try this out tonight. It was a very easy switch. Comfort is improved by infinity amount - I'm not sure about the sound though. It may be my mind playing tricks on me, but it seems like the bass response is elevated and I might be losing some of the sharpness and attack on the mids/treble.

More head time will determine if I keep them this way.

Thoughts?

Preproman has been running the Denon (stock) pads on his HifiMAN headphones with good success.  He then has been installing the J$ or Lawton angle Denon pads on his Denon headphones.  I tried the angle pads on my HE-400s, but the ear opening wasn't nearly large enough, and the thicker foam would tend to toss off the sound a bit.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #4,670 of 22,116
Quote:
By the way for those who did get the J$'s, it doesn't have a nylon dust screen built in so you need to choose to leave the inner sides of the drivers open to air, or mod in a foam disc / stretched nylon screen or something of that sort if you are paranoid about dust. Personally I think they sound best with minimal fabric in between the driver and the ears, and house dust shouldn't be an issue seeing as the membrane and traces are very resilient.

maaaaaaaan  is glueing stretch nylon on the stock plastic attachment piece the only way to correct this problem? Any other ideas?

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #4,672 of 22,116
Quote:

Preproman has been running the Denon (stock) pads on his HifiMAN headphones with good success.  He then has been installing the J$ or Lawton angle Denon pads on his Denon headphones.  I tried the angle pads on my HE-400s, but the ear opening wasn't nearly large enough, and the thicker foam would tend to toss off the sound a bit.

I put the stock HiFiMAN velour pads back on and my suspiscions were confirmed - definitely like the sound with the velours better.

It was a worthy experiment, but I'm gonna keep em stock.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #4,673 of 22,116
Quote:

maaaaaaaan  is glueing stretch nylon on the stock plastic attachment piece the only way to correct this problem? Any other ideas?

Ye, cut out a piece of foam or felt, and just put it in between the pad and the driver.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #4,674 of 22,116
Quote:
Ye, cut out a piece of foam or felt, and just put it in between the pad and the driver.

lol I feel like an idiot now duh lol momentary brain collapse, I'm distracted by the music i tell you! oh well, seems easy enough, will definitely do once i receive mine. Thanks!

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #4,675 of 22,116
Quote:

Thoughts?

I just put the D2k pads on today.  Comfort is amazing, way more amazing than the stock pleathers.  In terms of comfort.  D2k pads > Stock pleathers > stock velours

As far as the sound quality, I can't notice a difference.  For some reason, I actually like the D2k pads the best?  I don't know.  Maybe it's because I'm not worrying about comfort anymore, and instead taking in more of the music.  

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #4,676 of 22,116
Quote:
If you need someone to handle a few few pairs in Canada, I can help out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I PM'ed him quite some time ago today and he hasn't gotten back to me yet, any luck with you and wje?

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #4,678 of 22,116
Ahh, good good, I just wanted something to take on. My life is pretty boring, I only work 3 days a week right now, would give me something to do.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #4,679 of 22,116
Quote:
Ahh, good good, I just wanted something to take on. My life is pretty boring, I only work 3 days a week right now, would give me something to do.

I see.  I'm the other way, 100% busy and adding more along the way. Work 50+ hours a week, then keep rolling when I'm outside of work.  Only watch about an hour of TV a week.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #4,680 of 22,116
jerg,

So what are your final impressions of the J$ Beyers vs Pleather and Velours? If you don't mind me asking. 

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back