**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #4,621 of 22,116
I think he is saying that under $400 the DT990 is considered the best headphone, so is buying an HE-400 at nearly double the price worth it? He says the HE-400 is also considered one of the top at this price point. Is the ~$200 increase justified?

At least that's how I understood what he is trying to say.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #4,622 of 22,116
Quote:
One Question!! 
Is HE400 worth than DT990(250Ohm) when it comes to thing that it is almost double its price??
As in  <$400 range DT990 is also one of the best Headphones.

I can't answer your specific question.  However, I can tell you that the HE-400 from HifiMAN is easily worth it when noting that one could get 5 pair of Grado SR-80i headphones for the same cost.  Additionally, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last evening. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #4,624 of 22,116
Quote:
Wont be able to get those pads from J$. Unfortunately, the bump up in price puts them out of my range until I get paid on, you guessed it, Monday. Oh well!

Sounds like it's a good time for you to start building your credit.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #4,626 of 22,116
By the way for those who did get the J$'s, it doesn't have a nylon dust screen built in so you need to choose to leave the inner sides of the drivers open to air, or mod in a foam disc / stretched nylon screen or something of that sort if you are paranoid about dust. Personally I think they sound best with minimal fabric in between the driver and the ears, and house dust shouldn't be an issue seeing as the membrane and traces are very resilient.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #4,627 of 22,116
Quote:
I think he is saying that under $400 the DT990 is considered the best headphone, so is buying an HE-400 at nearly double the price worth it? He says the HE-400 is also considered one of the top at this price point. Is the ~$200 increase justified?

At least that's how I understood what he is trying to say.

Ya thats what I am trying to say!!

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #4,628 of 22,116
Quote:
By the way for those who did get the J$'s, it doesn't have a nylon dust screen built in so you need to choose to leave the inner sides of the drivers open to air, or mod in a foam disc / stretched nylon screen or something of that sort if you are paranoid about dust. Personally I think they sound best with minimal fabric in between the driver and the ears, and house dust shouldn't be an issue seeing as the membrane and traces are very resilient.

Gah, I was worried about that. Think it's possible to just rip the one out of the pleathers? I can't see me wanting to use those any more once I get these.

Quote:
As someone who just had $26,000 in debt dumped on him by his parents (they opened a business in my name), good credit is decades away for me!

But hey, $50 more isn't gonna hurt anything
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #4,629 of 22,116
Quote:
Bzzz, wrong. Velour always takes the comfort crown. If its not velour, its not for me. That includes the J$ pads.

Nah, pleathear feels better on the skin, especially when it's softer padding underneath.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #4,630 of 22,116
Quote:
Gah, I was worried about that. Think it's possible to just rip the one out of the pleathers? I can't see me wanting to use those any more once I get these.

But hey, $50 more isn't gonna hurt anything
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sure, but the screens in the stock earpads are stretched so I'm not sure how you can use it because it will shrink to 1/2 the stretched size when you cut it out.

A simple alternative is to just buy some nylon stockings, stretch them out, add superglue onto the earpad mounting ring, and just press the ring onto the stretched stockings, wait for it to adhere fully, then just trim the edges. The process shouldn't take more than 10 mins.

Or you can just gunho it and go full open style, for 100% sound quality 
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #4,631 of 22,116
Quote:
Sure, but the screens in the stock earpads are stretched so I'm not sure how you can use it because it will shrink to 1/2 the stretched size when you cut it out.

A simple alternative is to just buy some nylon stockings, stretch them out, add superglue onto the earpad mounting ring, and just press the ring onto the stretched stockings, wait for it to adhere fully, then just trim the edges. The process shouldn't take more than 10 mins.

Or you can just gunho it and go full open style, for 100% sound quality 
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't recommend that, over time dust and skin particles will accumulate and that probably wouldn't end well.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #4,633 of 22,116
It probably wouldn't be a problem just leaving them open if I just always leave my headphones so that the pads are touching each other when I'm not wearing them. No dust would really be getting in there anyways in that case.

I am paranoid on the other hand. But I'm not sure if I'm crafty enough to work with that much superglue so I'll just stuff them with cottonballs or something. Same difference.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #4,634 of 22,116
Quote:
It probably wouldn't be a problem just leaving them open if I just always leave my headphones so that the pads are touching each other when I'm not wearing them. No dust would really be getting in there anyways in that case.

I am paranoid on the other hand. But I'm not sure if I'm crafty enough to work with that much superglue so I'll just stuff them with cottonballs or something. Same difference.

You seriously underestimate the power of dust!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back