**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 10, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #4,591 of 22,116
Quote:
Are you gonna also try grabbing a pair?

I just inquired with Jeremy to see if he had any stock left myself....fingers crossed!

it will be done.  down to 1 pair of HE-400 until the next shipment arrives.  once that happens, i'll start it

I actually just got my pair from you earlier today - really looking forward to trying these out!

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #4,592 of 22,116
Looks like (assuming Jeremy has enough earpads left to pass around) it's shaping up to be the great 2013 HE400er J$ bonanza 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #4,593 of 22,116
Quote:
I find it strange that there is a big LCD2 ($1000) thread here on full-sized headphones subforum, but no HE500 ($700) thread. The HE500 thread over at summit-fi is barely trafficked compared to threads here. Ah well.

Yes it is strange. HE-500 is monstrous in term of sound reproduction, literally feel it as I have speakers over my ear. A beautiful bass, never overrides other ranges, great soundstage, sound overall (mid and treble) is nothing but sensational, makes you think about it every time you have it off your ears.  Just curious jerg, why do you have a HE-400, while HE-500 is in your inventory?  Any thing HE-400 have HE-500 does not?

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #4,594 of 22,116
Quote:
Looks like (assuming Jeremy has enough earpads left to pass around) it's shaping up to be the great 2013 HE400er J$ bonanza 
rolleyes.gif

Indeed!  He still had at least one for me, if not a few more in stock.  I've got a pair of stock Denon pads on the way as well, so I'll be able to A/B between those, the J$ and the velours to see what works best for me.  It sounds like the J$ will be the winner already though 
cool.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #4,595 of 22,116
Quote:
Are you gonna also try grabbing a pair?

Yes.  I've had a few PM conversations today.  He does have some - I'm not sure how many.  But, he is leaving Canada for a period of time this coming Monday, so he wants to sell all of what he has.  Now is good, Monday isn't so good for someone on the fence.  I think the price for getting a real leather pair of pads is stellar.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #4,597 of 22,116
Something is glitching hard for me... I'll try a new post, sorry mods. Delete this. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #4,599 of 22,116
Justin's idea is pretty awesome, got my velours today as well by the way, thanks for those Justin, they shipped much faster than the cans!

I'd love to hear other offerings from HiFiMAN, I'm in love with my HE-400's, best thing I've heard aside from the HD800's and PS1000's. I'd love a chance to hear some of their higher end stuff. I have some family in the US I could ship to, I live 10 minutes away from the border. Like someone else said, many people have the HE-400's already. HE-400's are starting point, the HE4 and HE500 are a big interest now for me. The HE-400's do a pretty stellar job of introducing planar drivers in my humble opinion, love at first listen for me. ​

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #4,600 of 22,116
I'm totally addicted to the sound of the HE-400.  Had these nearly a week and went back and looked at my recently played albums in Foobar.  I've listened to 76 albums in six days, didn't realize I've been through that many. 
basshead.gif
  One album that really shows off what the HE-400 does best is Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #4,601 of 22,116
Heh, after a lot more swapping and listening, I decided to abolish the HE500 + J$ combo, and instead opt for HE400 + J$ (these just sound so great together), while the HE500s are to continue with the Hifiman pleathers.

The reason is that I found HE500 treble to be a bit too bright (low-mid treble) with the J$'s much like with the velours. The HE500s just love the stock pleathers, make the treble *just right* and the overall timbre extremely realistic and unintrusive.

With HE400s that is no issue and instead its treble is fleshed out more with the J$'s it seems, in addition the lower end gains much more body and weight compared to velours which is tremendous because it makes their vocal presentation significantly better.

It's interesting because now HE400 sounds like a hyper-detailed, aggressive, slightly less refined HE500, instead of something that is clearly a level below in almost all aspects.

Edit: lol the HE400 bass just gets ridiculous (in a good way) with these pads, I can literally feel the bass notes in my neck and chest playing some Ronald Jenkees, and I ain't even crankin'. Note that the FR is still very balanced, there is no increased bass quantity, it just becomes a heck of a lot more tactile and physical. I think it is partially because of the distance that these pads are able to put the drivers away from the ears, while retaining a perfect seal.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #4,602 of 22,116
I kind of want those pads jerg, I find the velours reduce the bass for me but the pleathers take away from the decay (reduced, so I hear less) and clarity. Will these allow for the best of both worlds?

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #4,603 of 22,116
Quote:
I kind of want those pads jerg, I find the velours reduce the bass for me but the pleathers take away from the decay (reduced, so I hear less) and clarity. Will these allow for the best of both worlds?

Oh yeah big time. Not sure if it's all sold out though, seeing as quite a few peeps in this thread have ordered already.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #4,604 of 22,116
I'll have to PM him. Also, lets be honest, I don't think anyone thinks the velours are more comfortable than the pleather. The J$'s cost a bit though. As long as they clarity is the same as the velours I'm down.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #4,605 of 22,116
Bzzz, wrong. Velour always takes the comfort crown. If its not velour, its not for me. That includes the J$ pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back