**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 4, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #19,636 of 22,116
HE-400 + O2 + ODAC has been my go-to setup for going on 2 years.

I have also used my HE-400s with a Realtek Chipset (~2010 vintage can't remember the exact version but it wasn't their best) and the more recent 892 chipset. I have also tried a Yamaha reciever, 2 Nokia Phones, 1 Asus Tablet and so on.

In addition to listening to all those devices standalone, I've also used them as the input for the O2.

In addition to that, I've plugged every headphone I had around into the O2 to "see what happens".

So, I am your HE-400 authority :wink_face:

Disclosure - I buy amps for the POWER I think I need, not for the SQ they supposedly add / take away from connected products. I just like high power, low distortion, connectivity etc. In most cases the rest is marketing IMHO. If you REALLY want to change your sound, change your speakers. That is my rule #1.

In short, the O2 is just a great amp PERIOD. It has had more than enough power under all listening conditions to drive the HE-400s to levels I can't stand. IF you are using a 1V source (which includes everything I listed aside from the ODAC), you would be wise to keep the high gain (6.5x) handy. For HDR recordings, the added headroom can be important. The battery life is excellent (routinely lasting for hours), and the thing has the blackest background I've ever owned, from any amp (even component amps I own for regular speakers). It was actually strange at first, until I got used to it.

Now, the ODAC added what I felt is a "superior" SQ after intimate listening (somehow just a little punchier and more dynamic and equally black). BUT the realtek chipsets and even the phones / tablets I own actually sound darn good routed through the O2 (The 892 and the Asus). Both presented a similar sense of depth and were smooth. I think the Sabre DAC might actually be "more aggressive" (not in a bad sense but in a sense). Then again other times the DACs all sound about the same to me. So trust me when I say that the DAC is probably only the last 5-10% of SQ I was able to squeeze out of the HE-400s and the first place I would recommend you save your money for now.

"Dry/Analytical" are ridiculous terms to me. The O2 is basically whatever your headphones / recordings are (and guess what, maybe your phones / recordings s***!). I bought mine from JDS labs, and John Seaber was quick to ship, quick to answer questions / etc. What is more, the price of the O2 is now lower, and you can customize it to your liking (rear power jacks, 1/4 inch front jack etc.). Certainly I would have taken advantage of those things if I were doing it all over.

I've not owned any Schiit Gear, but the Magni would be on my list as a second choice. Maybe they listened to my griping about how the first Magni had fixed gain (its major fault IMO - 5X with 1 watt!). Then again I don't like the RCA inputs either. I generally have had my Headphones connected to modern devices like computers and the aforementioned, which have forever been using 3.5mm inputs/outputs. Just makes sense.

So, I would buy an O2 again without hesitation. I just don't know of many other choices in your price range that combine the features / SQ.

Hope that helps.

+1.

Re DACs that you heard sound the same, they with same filters? When I was really researching for a DAC, I was really astonished that some DAC's sound the same even if they have massive price differences. I found out later that they have exactly the same default digital filter that I listened to---linear or standard filters.

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #19,637 of 22,116
  Wow thanks for the detailed input. The O2 certainly sounds like it could be what i'm looking for, but many have said it's only as good as the DAC.

But that's the purpose of an amp, only amplifying the signal being fed on it, and specifically that's what solid state amps does best, transparency. If you want to add colour to your music, use a tube amp.

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #19,638 of 22,116
But that's the purpose of an amp, only amplifying the signal being fed on it, and specifically that's what solid state amps does best, transparency. If you want to add colour to your music, use a tube amp.

+1. If you need an amp to make the sound better, that means the signal needs to be better.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #19,642 of 22,116
There's so much sensationalism surrounding amp discussion these last couple pages, it's a little unnerving.

Why you find it so?

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #19,643 of 22,116
The most transparent amp I own has a tube based output.....is your statement experienced based?

What's your understanding of "transparent"?

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #19,644 of 22,116
I've never found any tube amp that's transparent. Some of them sounds really excellent though.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #19,646 of 22,116
Amplifying the source..

I have one of the most clinical DAC's you could ever imagine so trust me I can detect coloration.

What's your tube amp?

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #19,648 of 22,116

The most transparent amp I own has a tube based output.....is your statement experienced based?

Haven't owned a tube amp but planning to get a project ember in the future. My statement is based from the different threads I read, like this one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595113

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #19,649 of 22,116

Users who are viewing this thread

Back