**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 5, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #19,666 of 22,116
  Wow thanks for the detailed input. The O2 certainly sounds like it could be what i'm looking for, but many have said it's only as good as the DAC. You mentioned you tried it with the realtek chip which of course I have too on my mobo and it still sounded ok? That would be a huge plus if it was usable out of the box and into the speaker/line out jack.

How does the ODAC compare if you A-B it with just jacking into your mobo with the O2? 

To answer your question - and after a totally non-scientific sighted A-B listening session:

They both sound good. Not sure if it is placebo or not but, I do sense something about the ODAC, just seems a little more resolving and I get more "depth". The bass might've been a tad better (more detailed), the recording defects and graininess a little more apparent (I deliberately chose some pretty processed stuff). I looked up the specs on the 892 and they are only rated up to around 90 dB S/N, so there is that. BUT In a blind test properly administered, I am pretty certain I would NOT be able to distinguish between the two. After all, I already flunk the CD / Mp3 blind testing so why should DACs be any different? I believe the ODAC is better.

Also you should remember that the ODAC is a 2-Channel DAC that reaches 24-bit 96 khz max. That may not check off your whole wishlist. If my receiver could do DD+ recording, I would absolutely want a multi-channel up to 192 khz DAC for watching Blu-Rays or streaming netflix. Because my plan to get a modern receiver is now on hold, I am perfectly happy doing what I can with simulated surround instead of discrete.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #19,667 of 22,116
To answer your question - and after a totally non-scientific sighted A-B listening session:
They both sound good. Not sure if it is placebo or not but, I do sense something about the ODAC, just seems a little more resolving and I get more "depth". The bass might've been a tad better (more detailed), the recording defects and graininess a little more apparent (I deliberately chose some pretty processed stuff). I looked up the specs on the 892 and they are only rated up to around 90 dB S/N, so there is that. BUT In a blind test properly administered, I am pretty certain I would NOT be able to distinguish between the two. After all, I already flunk the CD / Mp3 blind testing so why should DACs be any different? I believe the ODAC is better.
Also you should remember that the ODAC is a 2-Channel DAC that reaches 24-bit 96 khz max. That may not check off your whole wishlist. If my receiver could do DD+ recording, I would absolutely want a multi-channel up to 192 khz DAC for watching Blu-Rays or streaming netflix. Because my plan to get a modern receiver is now on hold, I am perfectly happy doing what I can with simulated surround instead of discrete.

Thanks for your impressions, the O2 is getting very interesting to me at this point. I'm a bit of a bass freak so I hope it does well there or at least doesn't take away anything in that area.

Hope I didn't start a big discussion on if the O2 is overrated or anything, I simply just want a very decent amp for my 400s and I was dead set on using the Asus Essence card for it. I wouldn't mind just diving into the O2 if they come up on the FS forum enough.

I'm not interested in going to the amp forum as I'd rather just hear what real world 400 owners have found is best for these cans.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #19,668 of 22,116
The most basic point is that I am quite sure that an amp is going to make the HE-400s sound their best.

Just don't buy hype (mine or anyone else's) - the O2 does a legit 200 mWs at super low distortion but can hit over 500 mWs at its worst distortion levels into 50 ohms. That has been more than enough power for me volume-wise. It is sort of like having a receiver that does 200 watts/channel at 0.1% - if you REALLY use all that power, you are probably crushing your speakers and your ears! Music is dynamic, yes, but a few mWs for phones' and a few watts for speakers is actually already typically driving them at rated efficiency or beyond (easily 80+ dB). Of course, if you'd rather get a 1 Watt headphone amp from Schiit or a 10 watt amp from China or whoever else, I think you'll have plenty of power.

IMO the problem with soundcards is that I think they often have high output impedance (not sure, no one tests that). So unless the headphones are high impedance (not really an issue with planars), the sound can be shaped negatively.

As for bass - an EQ to the HE-400s works extremely well. 50hz! 

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #19,669 of 22,116
A lot of modern sound-cards are pretty great, but the problem is the actual headphone out on a lot of products-- they're oftentimes borderline terrible.  Usually when people are going from a piss-poor headphone out to any decent standalone amp and they're finding a stark difference, they're commenting on that very thing.  One such example: my friend's Toshiba laptop and its horrible headphone out.  For what it's worth, I think the HE-400 sounds rather good out of any good source like one of the recent iPods or apple laptops, and only subtly better off standalone gear.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #19,670 of 22,116
My replies below:

Because there's so many blanket statements being thrown around about the O2 and amping in general, and there's a couple wrong ways about looking at things.

First off, the O2 is a good little amp for its money, and when it was released as an open-sourced schematic, it had a clever campaign behind it through the use of measurements to brainwash people into thinking it's the end-all-be-all in this so called unicorn called transparency. This is just plain bs. "Clever campaign"? It sounds excellent subjectively, and objective measurements support it. The price is so low that there's not enough profit to make out of it. If at all, it's a clever charity program for price-conscious audiophiles. Oh yeah, it's a clever campaign against snake oil amps. Just like other amplifiers that measure with amazing numbers that are all well below the audible threshold, the O2 has its own sound. This is bs, again. Laughable actually. Because this argument is true even for the "higher amps". So we shouldn't care about numbers, which is the only thing constant? Looks like justification for snake oils.  It's still a relatively neutral amp, but slightly on the thin and bright side, Another bs. It's not thin even slightly. It's the only amp that brought out bass to sub-bass potential in my HE-400 and LCD-2.2 without losing the details from bass to mids to treble. The O2 is bright or thin only on bright/thin HPs. Even the HE-400 loses its brightness with the HE-400. C'mon. and there are other amps out there-- both solid state and tube alike-- that all vary from warmer to brighter in signature.  Just because the opamps within the O2 allow its distortion numbers to be a theoretical .00001 compared to another company's .0001, or just because its noise floor is a theoretical 130db as opposed to another company's 120db doesn't make it the more transparent amp, and you surely won't be able to attribute sonic differences to those numbers alone. Bs. So we shouldn't look at distortion numbers? Another justification for snake oils. And it's not numbers alone, if you notice, the discussion recently didn't even mention numbers. All discuss how it sounds and transparency.

There's two unavoidable facts at play.  One, is that every thing about the amp design plays a role in its sound to very subtle degrees, such as the circuitry and its layout, the topology choice, the choice of power, etc; the O2 is no exception in this case.  Jason from Schiit Audio has a very good post about this subject on another forum where he goes into detail about the thought-process behind the design of their Statement amp, the Ragnarok, but I can't be troubled to find it right now. Second, is that the conventional measurements for which you see on headphones is limited and often times can not tell a whole story.  The same is true for amplifiers.  Giving distortion numbers for 3 different tones set at say: 100hz, 1khz and 10khz is miles simpler and easier of a signal than given a complex song with tons of different tones being played at the same time.  The science behind measuring isn't quite there yet, and thus measurements should only be taken as a guideline to tell if something is completely wrong, and only that.  We shouldn't be chasing for extra 0s after a decimal point and blindly thinking that leads to good audio. Pardon me TMRaven, but this really looks like bs. You justifying lower numbers in other snake oils, actually.

As far as some ideas that are the completely wrong ways of looking at things, I'll tell you this.  Tube amps don't necessarily have to be colored, there's no universal rule about that, they come in all different kinds of sounds, just like solid state amps.  Just because they measure at .01 distortion compared to .001 distortion doesn't make them colored and flawed. So if an amp has bigger distortion numbers it is not more colored?  Many people prefer tube amps for their clean sound and detail over lots of other solid state amps, not because of their color (don't get me wrong though, plenty like warmer or brighter amps in general too.) Tube amps for cleaner sound? If at all, why it sounds cleaner is because some details are lost. Distortion numbers on tubes are WELL-SETTLED to have more noise and more distortion. Now this is looking like a clever campaign for snake oils, TMRaven. Perhaps the worst offender though, is the assumption about using amps to somehow 'improve' a sound.  That's the wrong way to go about high-fideility thinking in general.  Audio is only one thing:  you have an ideal reference-- for this example let's refer to it as a 1, which will always be a whole, every part of your chain down to your headphone will always negatively impact that reference, making it less than ideal.  Better designed gear will mitigate that negative impact so it's closer and closer to the 1, perhaps say .95 as opposed to a .92.  You will never be able to get over a 1. Now this I agree on.

I'm a practical guy, and I did have the O2 at one point.  I would have kept it if I thought it would be the best solution for me, but I've since moved on from it, and to get back onto the topic of the HE-400 I can tell you right now that O2 (and likewise its ODAC) is slightly thin throughout the midrange, which doesn't play into the HE-400's weaknesses too well, but it's still a decent amp for its price.  At the same time, the HE-400 doesn't even really need super-good equipment in the first place, because it has a low ceiling of scalability.  It has distortion problems within the midrange, and a colored enough sound throughout the treble, meaning upstream gear won't impact it as much as they could, because it will always be imbuing its predominant sound over everything else.  It isn't as much of a 'chameleon' as other headphones, like the Sennheiser HD600 or HD800. Not my experience. The bass and sub-bass SUBSTANTIALLY became more present with the O2. The bass becomes enveloping, showing out the real sound signature of the HE-400. It's an entirely different phone from an iPhone 6 to an O2. Colored mids and treble, maybe, but definitely changed by better amps.

So in short, would I recommend the O2 for the HE-400?  Yes, I think it's a good amp.  Would I recommend anybody explore further up the line in amps?  Definitely-- just maybe not for the HE-400. What would other amps add to the O2 aside from coloration?

Lastly, this is a thread for the HE-400.  It's cool to recommend and talk about how amps play with it, but it's not fun to see parroting and sheeping over amping philosophies that come off as shallow blanket statements.  Talk like that can be reserved for the sound science sub-forum. Somebody with HE-400 asked advise on amps and O2.Why not give advise. There's even no bashing of other amps in here. Too bad praise for an amp you seem to not like at all. Why? I don't see any blanket statements. They're from actual experience. If you don't want blanket statements, we would have to resort to numbers, which you also said are not reliable.

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #19,671 of 22,116
There are quite a few amps that destroy the O2 as a value proposition and practicality (not to mention presentation as in not DIY-looking)... and they make money for their makers:

FiiO E11 and E12
Topping NX1
Audio Technica AT-HA2
Schiit Fulla

All of the above actually work off USB power, which adds to portability tremendously, and is something the O2 can only dream off. Not to mention form factor. All of the above are cheaper. Why you can get a Geek 450 for a little more than the O2 and that is also and integrated DAC that does DSD and other stuff the O2, with the ODAC cannot. Should you want to consider flexibility. Or you could go for a Leckerton UHA-4. Or TEAC HA-P50

If you want to include options with wall wart then things only look a lot more competitive (many of them cheaper than the O2 and some with many more features):

Schiit Vali or Magni
Berhinger HA4700
Henry Engineering MultiPhones MiniPod
Nady HPA-4 4-Channel

Now, if the O2 was $20 or so, well yeah, I would say price is low. But calling "bargain" a $130 featureless, weird I/O layout, DIY looking headamp only? I just don't see it. I can buy a Yamaha R-S201 for almost that kind of money and it does more than power my cans. I can get an ASUS Xonar U7 that provides 7.1 pre-outs, mic inputs, and a lot of other stuff besides DAC dutty and power my cans for a lot less!

Now as far as transparency, and "objective" measurements, what power supply was used for those numbers. I don't think you can hit those numbers with D batteries at all. The O2 takes a lot of different wall warts. Are we going to hit those numbers with the wall wart you get with your "$130 bargain deal"? Where do we set the benchmark as to what can be heard and not? Where do you see an engineering standard naming the O2 as a "benchmark" of neutrality and awesomeness?

"It's the only amp that brought out bass to sub-bass potential in my HE-400 and LCD-2.2 without losing the details from bass to mids to treble."

If that is the case, I guess the O2 does have it's sound to you (note you are using a pretty "subjective" claim there).

"So if an amp has bigger distortion numbers it is not more colored?"

No, depends on FR, and other distortion numbers that the standard simplified ones fail to provide. You would be surpriced how NwAvGuy's uber equipment failed IMO to provided an accurate representation of the performance of a simple Sansa Clip... due to the way the non-linear distortion standards are writen.

"Distortion numbers on tubes are WELL-SETTLED to have more noise and more distortion"

Depends. Certain hybrid amps are IMO fairly transparent and many are class A. Even Benchmark at some point indicated that they have to struggle with Class B crossover distortion and had to come up with stuff to mitigate it. They agreed class A would not have these issues.

"Not my experience. The bass and sub-bass SUBSTANTIALLY became more present with the O2. The bass becomes enveloping, showing out the real sound signature of the HE-400. It's an entirely different phone from an iPhone 6 to an O2. Colored mids and treble, maybe, but definitely changed by better amps."

And what is the "real sound signature" of the HE-400. Did you use a mythical "wire-with-gain" as a baseline for your subjective assesment there?

"What would other amps add to the O2 aside from coloration?"

Among other things? Value for your buck. More agreable sound with plenty of cans. A more practical setup.

"Somebody with HE-400 asked advise on amps and O2.Why not give advise"

Because suggesting that the O2 amp is the "One amp to rule them all" has been misguidedly brought up many times before and has become fairly controversial as you can see. It is not the "One amp to rule them all" by a long shot.

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #19,673 of 22,116
What have I done, I didn't want to derail the thread!
"It's the only amp that brought out bass to sub-bass potential in my HE-400 and LCD-2.2 without losing the details from bass to mids to treble."

If that is the case, I guess the O2 does have it's sound to you (note you are using a pretty "subjective" claim there).

"So if an amp has bigger distortion numbers it is not more colored?"

No, depends on FR, and other distortion numbers that the standard simplified ones fail to provide. You would be surpriced how NwAvGuy's uber equipment failed IMO to provided an accurate representation of the performance of a simple Sansa Clip... due to the way the non-linear distortion standards are writen.

"Distortion numbers on tubes are WELL-SETTLED to have more noise and more distortion"

Depends. Certain hybrid amps are IMO fairly transparent and many are class A. Even Benchmark at some point indicated that they have to struggle with Class B crossover distortion and had to come up with stuff to mitigate it. They agreed class A would not have these issues.

"Not my experience. The bass and sub-bass SUBSTANTIALLY became more present with the O2. The bass becomes enveloping, showing out the real sound signature of the HE-400. It's an entirely different phone from an iPhone 6 to an O2. Colored mids and treble, maybe, but definitely changed by better amps."

And what is the "real sound signature" of the HE-400. Did you use a mythical "wire-with-gain" as a baseline for your subjective assesment there?

"What would other amps add to the O2 aside from coloration?"

Among other things? Value for your buck. More agreable sound with plenty of cans. A more practical setup.

"Somebody with HE-400 asked advise on amps and O2.Why not give advise"

Because suggesting that the O2 amp is the "One amp to rule them all" has been misguidedly brought up many times before and has become fairly controversial as you can see. It is not the "One amp to rule them all" by a long shot.

Posts like this really aren't helping me out. I'm just asking for options

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #19,675 of 22,116
  What have I done, I didn't want to derail the thread!
Posts like this really aren't helping me out. I'm just asking for options

You didn't start anything. Furthermore, as far as I know the purpose of this thread is not to only to help you out. Many other folks read them and hopefully benefit from them.

To your question, it seems you need at least as much power as an Asgard 1 and the convinience of an integrated DAC is desirable: http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/19620#post_11376288

Well the O2 is not going to provide any of that. For all the "might" of the O2, the Asgard 1 is a much more powerful amp than the O2.

I would actually recommend you to stick with your original Asus Essence option based on what you seem to be looking for. I don't immediately see any issues with it pairing well with an HE-400.

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #19,676 of 22,116
  I hate to ask this but after pawing through the thread a lot i'm not finding good suggestions. What would be a good sub $150 amp for these cans? 

I had previously used the Asus Essence with them for a while and that seemed to work quite well. I even bought a Schiit Lyr for them at some point, but i'd like to keep it simple. 

For reference i'll need at least as much power as the Schiit Asgard 1 because with eq on (so -7db) I was pushing 65%-75% volume on it with the HE-400s.

If your soundcard works fine nothing in the sub $150 range is going to be a real upgrade. Different, perhaps, but not necessarily that much better overall. IMO it's not worth the money unless you want just want to experiment, try a vintage receiver or a tube amp for example. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #19,677 of 22,116
I just got my he-400s yesterday and they sound sweet with my modi/vali stack. I have the asgard2 but lean more towards the vali. My x2's and hd-650's sound pretty sweet with it as well. Really liking these 400's.

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #19,678 of 22,116
I just got my he-400s yesterday and they sound sweet with my modi/vali stack. I have the asgard2 but lean more towards the vali. My x2's and hd-650's sound pretty sweet with it as well. Really liking these 400's.

Im also really liking my he 400s, even though I done f'd up and bought them instead of the newer model on amazon... Nut, hey, i'm really liking them!

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #19,679 of 22,116
Im also really liking my he 400s, even though I done f'd up and bought them instead of the newer model on amazon... Nut, hey, i'm really liking them!
I thought about that also. But the he-500 is the same price as the new model on amazon. The bass on these sounds the mat natural to me than my other cans. Very nice. Anyone try bending the headband like the owners Guide says you can do? If so, how did that work out. They are a bit loose for me.

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #19,680 of 22,116
  I hate to ask this but after pawing through the thread a lot i'm not finding good suggestions. What would be a good sub $150 amp for these cans? 

I had previously used the Asus Essence with them for a while and that seemed to work quite well. I even bought a Schiit Lyr for them at some point, but i'd like to keep it simple. 

For reference i'll need at least as much power as the Schiit Asgard 1 because with eq on (so -7db) I was pushing 65%-75% volume on it with the HE-400s.

Nothing will have the power or bass of a vintage speaker amp.  Tone controls, loudness switch thrown and hang on! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back