**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 2, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #19,606 of 22,116
  People can have preferences. I tend to think of the 400 as compromised by its very wacky FR. while the X2 may not have linear bass, it does have a more even overall sig. regardless of what is the better piece of gear, it would be nice to avoid any bashing on here. Please think before posting.

What is a wacky frequency response? Linear bass is ideal? Despite the plethora of speakers and headphones I've played with over the years, and despite the "measured" response and subjective details provided by others, I've yet to come to the conclusion that any of them are wacky. The HE-400 are darn good, even "neutral" in many ways, to my ears (when I play them against speakers I own that measure very flat but sound mid-centric as a consequence). Fang had said he wanted an "American sound" (JBL-ish), and in many ways he nailed it. I know because I own JBLs, and there was a time that that sort of sound was preferable to my ears. My tastes have evolved over the years, but anyone that can shape the sound in a pleasing way and maintain a smooth presentation has my vote. The HE-400 are just fun 90% of the time, and the planar drivers got it all over dynamics in some ways. If Fang goes after the new Harmon curve, I am sure he'll have a serious hit.

Hell, my Polk's in my car may be more "forward" than the HE-400s, bringing Lana's voice a little closer to me while listening, but they are also way more sibilant, fatiguing, and incapable of a faster bass that would make them the worthy compliment to my 8 inch JL W3 which nevertheless bottoms out before it can really blow my mind. I Guarantee that the "measured" response is "wacky" to someone like you, and you might reject the setup as measured, but I assure you the listening experience is not wacky. Once you learn to set up a system with time alignment, level matching, and effective EQ, you can create quite the stage and quite the fun experience. Sure, the Class D amp hisses, but in practice you just don't hear that in-car. So why worry?

I've learned over the years to appreciate the data, but also ignore it since my ears and brain are thankfully not robotic. Too many people seem to look at the FR chart of the HE-400s and conclude, stupidly, that they are "weird". Too bad, since for me this hobby isn't about the perfect sound but about not making the neighbors mad while I take in my 2014 top hits. BTW Diamond ears and others have raised some important points lately. 1) The volume you listen at makes a difference in your perception and 2) an Amp (like the O2) brings out the bass of the HE-400s and as a result it sounds a little better balanced. I am not one to say "BUY A 1000 WATT AMP" to just anyone, but it is generally a good idea to buy a little more power than you really need. I could go on, but I'll leave it at that.

All that said, I wish I could listen to some Philips L2s now. Did you demo those against your X2s? I am surprised the bass is that good considering it slopes off pretty hard. I like to see strong response to at least 40 hz. Anything lower is increasingly moot.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #19,607 of 22,116
hey guys i got the HE400 and i have been using it with the FiiO E11 which was somehow an amazing experience... but i just received the FiiO E12 today in the mail and im a bit disappointed.

Without flipping the gain switch from 0 to 16dB, The FiiO E11 can reach louder volumes than the E12!!!??? This is ridiculous.

It sounds better with the gain at ZERO, but the volume is not enough. And i dont really like how it sounds with it at 16dB.

Does the E12 need burn in or something?

At this point i'd rather just stick with the E11...

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #19,608 of 22,116
hey guys i got the HE400 and i have been using it with the FiiO E11 which was somehow an amazing experience... but i just received the FiiO E12 today in the mail and im a bit disappointed.

Without flipping the gain switch from 0 to 16dB, The FiiO E11 can reach louder volumes than the E12!!!??? This is ridiculous.

It sounds better with the gain at ZERO, but the volume is not enough. And i dont really like how it sounds with it at 16dB.

Does the E12 need burn in or something?

At this point i'd rather just stick with the E11...

I own both the HE-400s and E12. My gain switch is off and, generally, do next exceed 12 o'clock when listening to music. I have a few sources that are exceptionally quiet, but I still never go past 1 o'clock.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #19,609 of 22,116
btw the E11 is on LOW gain as well... this is not making sense to me... the E12 makes such a drastic improvement when compared to E11 and the JVC SZ2000

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #19,611 of 22,116
Have you considered Cayin C5? I haven't personally heard the E12 but I chose the C5 based on reviews, works well with my HE400 and Q701.

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #19,613 of 22,116

I doubt burn-in will affect volume that much, if any at all. Maybe there's something wrong with the connections?

+1

I agree. Burning-in is not going to increase the output to my knowledge. Sound signature, but not power output. I, personally, would stop messing with it, and send it back as a defect under your retailer return policy. I hate DOAs. Very frustrating.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #19,615 of 22,116
maybe there's something wrong with my E12 or it needs to burn in, i dont have my old E12 anymore so this is the new one.

I both have E11 and E12 now, but haven't used them in a while. IIRC, E12 really seems less powerful at earlier portion of volume pot, and I think it's because it has better volume pot (resists power better). Will dig them from somewhere and will see if my 11 and 12 are the same.

How's the SQ of your 11 vs 12? 12 should sound lot better, more sparkly and bass tighter, cleaner sound. 11 smoothens out the treble a lot.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #19,616 of 22,116
its not a fair comparison right now, because my E12 is possibly faulty. But im quite impressed with E11's clear, open, and bassy sound. Its missing a little refinement in some frequencies, has a bit graininess...but still listenable.

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #19,617 of 22,116
I hate to ask this but after pawing through the thread a lot i'm not finding good suggestions. What would be a good sub $150 amp for these cans? 

I had previously used the Asus Essence with them for a while and that seemed to work quite well. I even bought a Schiit Lyr for them at some point, but i'd like to keep it simple. 

For reference i'll need at least as much power as the Schiit Asgard 1 because with eq on (so -7db) I was pushing 65%-75% volume on it with the HE-400s.

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #19,618 of 22,116
  I hate to ask this but after pawing through the thread a lot i'm not finding good suggestions. What would be a good sub $150 amp for these cans?

At that price point, I think the Magni 2 Uber would be the most powerful amp you can get.

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #19,619 of 22,116
  At that price point, I think the Magni 2 Uber would be the most powerful amp you can get.

I haven't seen that one before, looks like their entry level amp. Seems like I would be better off just getting a used Asgard again if I went that route.

I'm just wondering if the Asus Essence doesn't make more sense because it takes care of the DAC nonsense more or less as well as being a decent enough amp. I'll keep your suggestion in mind though

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #19,620 of 22,116

I had previously used the Asus Essence with them for a while and that seemed to work quite well. I even bought a Schiit Lyr for them at some point, but i'd like to keep it simple. 

For reference i'll need at least as much power as the Schiit Asgard 1 because with eq on (so -7db) I was pushing 65%-75% volume on it with the HE-400s.

O2. You will know how the HE-400 was designed to sound like. Unless you have the HE-6, the O2 is a very powerful amp. Don't base your decision solely on price and size of the amp. Listen to it.

What you should invest in is in an excellent DAC, I suggest with multiple digital filters. Because the amp is only as good as the DAC.

So my honest advise is buy the O2 for around $150, then save later for a DAC with multiple digital filters. My honest 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back