**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 3, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #19,622 of 22,116
  I haven't seen that one before, looks like their entry level amp. Seems like I would be better off just getting a used Asgard again if I went that route.

I'm just wondering if the Asus Essence doesn't make more sense because it takes care of the DAC nonsense more or less as well as being a decent enough amp. I'll keep your suggestion in mind though

The Magni 2 Uber is quite on par with the Asgard 2 in terms of power output, and at a $50 cheaper price point. The difference is that the Magni 2 Uber is a class A/B amp and the Asgard 2 is a class A amp. 

I used the Magni 2 Uber when I had the HE-400, and it was a great match for it. Using the Magni 2 Uber now for my HE-500 and it is still more than enough for it.

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #19,623 of 22,116
Will join this club tomorrow. My he-400's should hit my doorstep sometime tomorrow. My first planar headphone. Really stoked!

Play it on an amp with bass to sub-bass extraction capability (not saying tilted to bass, just capable). The sound signature is so enjoyable, especially if you factor in the price.

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #19,624 of 22,116
O2. You will know how the HE-400 was designed to sound like. Unless you have the HE-6, the O2 is a very powerful amp. Don't base your decision solely on price and size of the amp. Listen to it.

What you should invest in is in an excellent DAC, I suggest with multiple digital filters. Because the amp is only as good as the DAC.

So my honest advise is buy the O2 for around $150, then save later for a DAC with multiple digital filters. My honest 2 cents.

That goes into what I was saying about Asus Essence being a good idea for a DAC, I don't see a ton of talk about it being used as one and I don't see why it wouldn't be on par with more expensive ones. Plus if I got that, I would still have an amp in the meantime until I get a better one so I think it sounds like a good course of action. 

I've heard talk of the O2 for years, but I seem to remember it being refereed to a dry/analytical? I don't need a super warm tube sound (though I do miss it!) but I don't want to turn my he400's into K702s either.

Anyone else here have experience with the O2+HE400 combo?

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #19,626 of 22,116
  I've heard talk of the O2 for years, but I seem to remember it being refereed to a dry/analytical? I don't need a super warm tube sound (though I do miss it!) but I don't want to turn my he400's into K702s either.

I don't think O2 was referred to as dry/analytical, more of a transparent amp that will output what your source is feeding in it.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #19,627 of 22,116
I don't think O2 was referred to as dry/analytical, more of a transparent amp that will output what your source is feeding in it.

O2 is very transparent, prolly among the most transparent of all amps. It just outputs what's being fed, never tampering or tweaking the recording.

So if it's fed dry/analytical/bright signal by a dry/analytical/bright DAC or digital filter (most linear/standard filter are), your gonna hear dry/analytical/bright music. Conversely, if it's fed with a dark recording, it's gonna output dark music, unless your HP is incapable of being dark...:)

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #19,628 of 22,116
Just joined the club! 

Got a pair of used (perfect condition) HE-400 from ebay for $185. 

I love the sound and the build quality. The only thing I am not super happy with is the headband. I have a really 'tall' head and i feel like the top of the headband presses down quite hard even at max extension. Does anyone have experience with the wool headband cushions that I can get for a few bucks on ebay? 

Any one have a suggestion for an affordable case that fits the he400? 

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #19,629 of 22,116
Just joined the club! 

I love the sound and the build quality. The only thing I am not super happy with is the headband. I have a really 'tall' head and i feel like the top of the headband presses down quite hard even at max extension. Does anyone have experience with the wool headband cushions that I can get for a few bucks on ebay? 

Congrats. Enjoy the most resolving HP I've heard for both bass and treble, and a lush midrange. Cheers.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #19,631 of 22,116
  Just joined the club! 

Yea, the headband is too thin. I've not used the wool ones but aren't they only a cover for the headband? I don't think they provide much cushioning, unless I'm mistaking which product you're referring to. I usually see people using it to cover other cushioning mods they did, such as attaching the cushion of a HD-600 (can be purchased by itself). I can however, say the universal headband works pretty well http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Leatherette-Universal-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic/dp/B00862522A

Not sure how tall your head is, but if you're already using the cans fully extended, adding cushioning might prevent you from getting a good fit. You might want to take note of that.
As for case, the case from Hifiman themselves?

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #19,632 of 22,116
seatbelt cushions such as the dinio seat wrap will work for the purpose that you are describing.

http://www.amazon.com/Diono-Wraps-Harness-Formerly-Sunshine/dp/B005PK1CYI

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #19,633 of 22,116
  That goes into what I was saying about Asus Essence being a good idea for a DAC, I don't see a ton of talk about it being used as one and I don't see why it wouldn't be on par with more expensive ones. Plus if I got that, I would still have an amp in the meantime until I get a better one so I think it sounds like a good course of action. 

Anyone else here have experience with the O2+HE400 combo?

HE-400 + O2 + ODAC has been my go-to setup for going on 2 years.

I have also used my HE-400s with a Realtek Chipset (~2010 vintage can't remember the exact version but it wasn't their best) and the more recent 892 chipset. I have also tried a Yamaha reciever, 2 Nokia Phones, 1 Asus Tablet and so on.

In addition to listening to all those devices standalone, I've also used them as the input for the O2.

In addition to that, I've plugged every headphone I had around into the O2 to "see what happens".

So, I am your HE-400 authority
wink_face.gif

Disclosure - I buy amps for the POWER I think I need, not for the SQ they supposedly add / take away from connected products. I just like high power, low distortion, connectivity etc. In most cases the rest is marketing IMHO. If you REALLY want to change your sound, change your speakers. That is my rule #1.

In short, the O2 is just a great amp PERIOD. It has had more than enough power under all listening conditions to drive the HE-400s to levels I can't stand. IF you are using a 1V source (which includes everything I listed aside from the ODAC), you would be wise to keep the high gain (6.5x) handy. For HDR recordings, the added headroom can be important. The battery life is excellent (routinely lasting for hours), and the thing has the blackest background I've ever owned, from any amp (even component amps I own for regular speakers). It was actually strange at first, until I got used to it.

Now, the ODAC added what I felt is a "superior" SQ after intimate listening (somehow just a little punchier and more dynamic and equally black). BUT the realtek chipsets and even the phones / tablets I own actually sound darn good routed through the O2 (The 892 and the Asus). Both presented a similar sense of depth and were smooth. I think the Sabre DAC might actually be "more aggressive" (not in a bad sense but in a sense). Then again other times the DACs all sound about the same to me. So trust me when I say that the DAC is probably only the last 5-10% of SQ I was able to squeeze out of the HE-400s and the first place I would recommend you save your money for now.

"Dry/Analytical" are ridiculous terms to me. The O2 is basically whatever your headphones / recordings are (and guess what, maybe your phones / recordings s***!). I bought mine from JDS labs, and John Seaber was quick to ship, quick to answer questions / etc. What is more, the price of the O2 is now lower, and you can customize it to your liking (rear power jacks, 1/4 inch front jack etc.). Certainly I would have taken advantage of those things if I were doing it all over.

I've not owned any Schiit Gear, but the Magni would be on my list as a second choice. Maybe they listened to my griping about how the first Magni had fixed gain (its major fault IMO - 5X with 1 watt!). Then again I don't like the RCA inputs either. I generally have had my Headphones connected to modern devices like computers and the aforementioned, which have forever been using 3.5mm inputs/outputs. Just makes sense.

So, I would buy an O2 again without hesitation. I just don't know of many other choices in your price range that combine the features / SQ.

Hope that helps.

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #19,634 of 22,116
HE-400 + O2 + ODAC has been my go-to setup for going on 2 years.
I have also used my HE-400s with a Realtek Chipset (~2010 vintage can't remember the exact version but it wasn't their best) and the more recent 892 chipset. I have also tried a Yamaha reciever, 2 Nokia Phones, 1 Asus Tablet and so on.
In addition to listening to all those devices standalone, I've also used them as the input for the O2.
In addition to that, I've plugged every headphone I had around into the O2 to "see what happens".
So, I am your HE-400 authority
wink_face.gif

Wow thanks for the detailed input. The O2 certainly sounds like it could be what i'm looking for, but many have said it's only as good as the DAC. You mentioned you tried it with the realtek chip which of course I have too on my mobo and it still sounded ok? That would be a huge plus if it was usable out of the box and into the speaker/line out jack.

How does the ODAC compare if you A-B it with just jacking into your mobo with the O2? 
Yea, the headband is too thin. I've not used the wool ones but aren't they only a cover for the headband? I don't think they provide much cushioning, unless I'm mistaking which product you're referring to. I usually see people using it to cover other cushioning mods they did, such as attaching the cushion of a HD-600 (can be purchased by itself). I can however, say the universal headband works pretty well http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Leatherette-Universal-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic/dp/B00862522A
Not sure how tall your head is, but if you're already using the cans fully extended, adding cushioning might prevent you from getting a good fit. You might want to take note of that.
As for case, the case from Hifiman themselves?

+1 for the Beyer headstrap, it's a must own IMO and completes what's missing on these set of cans. I have no idea what they were thinking making the headband so thin, this helps a lot.

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #19,635 of 22,116
  Wow thanks for the detailed input. The O2 certainly sounds like it could be what i'm looking for, but many have said it's only as good as the DAC. You mentioned you tried it with the realtek chip which of course I have too on my mobo and it still sounded ok? That would be a huge plus if it was usable out of the box and into the speaker/line out jack.

How does the ODAC compare if you A-B it with just jacking into your mobo with the O2? 
+1 for the Beyer headstrap, it's a must own IMO and completes what's missing on these set of cans. I have no idea what they were thinking making the headband so thin, this helps a lot.

"Only as good as the DAC" is basically pretty true. If your realtek chipset is "noisy" (you can hear static when it is fully cranked), the O2 is certainly not going to change that. Likewise if it has a slightly rolled FR - though typically occurring at extreme frequencies that do not dominate ordinary music, the O2 is not going to improve / worsen it. Certainly, some of my devices have some noise, but in practice it is inaudible.

My 892 Chipset supposedly has "ELNA" audio capacitors that are supposed to be "hifi". I have a dedicated headphone jack, and the typical "green" output (but a line-in instead of a line-out). To my knowledge, the Spec of the 892 is pretty typical, about 1 V out max.

I am not set up to do a true level-matched, blind A-B test of my ODAC and realtek chipsets, but I can do some switching back and forth later if you like. I can tell you straight off the bad that, if my realtek chipset has any static to it, I can't seem to hear it through the O2. Computer audio is truly getting better and better. So, sure, later on I'll run a gamut of some songs I love right now and see what, if anything, comes of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back