**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 18, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #17,446 of 22,116

I hate to post when I don't have much to say. My post count says it all..
:)

I got a pair of the last batch of Jeg/Modulor pads. They made a very noticeable difference in how well I like my 400s. I spent lots of time equalizing and tried things like Dolby Headphone processing to try to tame ... what I consider treble harshness, especially with female vocals. The pads eliminated 90%  of that problem. I was listening the other night with Just my Fuze and C5D with no equalization at all listening to FLAC rips (I decided to try the 400s without being tied to my listening desk). I really liked what I heard.

Thanks Jerg and Modulor!.

And this from a real skeptic when it comes to most mods, cable upgrades, etc. Highly recommended, if you can find to buy, or make these, do it!

Where can I find these Pads to buy?

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #17,447 of 22,116
  In the end I got the Shiit Magni, cheap enough for a temporary solution, hopefully good enough to be a keeper even when I'll be back to my STAX :)
Will post some impressions as soon as I receive it

Sub-30 watts used UK speaker amp from ebay etc and balanced speaker taps cables was another route you could have went....

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #17,449 of 22,116
Jun 18, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #17,450 of 22,116
In the end I got the Shiit Magni, cheap enough for a temporary solution, hopefully good enough to be a keeper even when I'll be back to my STAX :)
Will post some impressions as soon as I receive it

Had to quote myself: I've ordered the Magni yesterday and today is already with me! Thanks to electromod (the UK distributor for Schiit) for the quick shipping. Will try it just after the footbal match :)

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #17,451 of 22,116
Anyone here also own the Beyer DT880 & DT990 headphones?
How does the HE-400 compare to the DT880/DT990s?

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #17,453 of 22,116
They're much less likely to break from heat buildup than a traditional cone driver because of the way they handle heat dissipation.  For example, the Audeze LCD-2 is rated at 15watts of momentary bursts of power before failure.  Most cone drivers don't even push a watt.  Give an LCD-2 15watts of power and it will probably fill a living room with sound like a pair of small bookshelf speakers.  You'll be deaf long before you can bust a planar magnetic.

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #17,455 of 22,116
I am currently listening to the HE400 using my DX50 & feel its sufficient to power them, but many people suggest that it isnt. Am I missing/hearing wrong? 

You're hearing okay infact if you like it don't do anything.
However there will be some improvement when you use external amp in terms of power and overall feel. Additional powerful amp will maximize your headphone capasity.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #17,456 of 22,116
Checking in for my bi-monthly "I still have these and love them" post. Unfortunately, this will probably be the last time! I have to sell my beloved HE-400 and basically all of my headphones to buy my sister food.

:[

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #17,459 of 22,116
Yesterday I've spent some time with the HE400 and the Magni (source is a Ayre QB-9 DSD), the headphones should be fully run in as I bought them used, the Magni is new. Music in lossless format and only classical.
They sound a bit different using a proper amp, before I was simply using a Fiio E7, bypassing my main source: now they have better dynamics, they sounded dull with the Fiio, and better instrument separation.

Tonally I don't find them bright, they are in fact a bit dark. The treble is not annoying either as some guys have reported. But some instruments do sound unnatural, violins for example have a sort of glare and coarseness that I don't remember in the STAX (as you may expect given the price difference). I think piano on the other hand is quite good. Yet to listen to some vocals, but I kind of expect tenors and bass to sound very good.

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #17,460 of 22,116
Thanks for the impressions. I am actually using my HE-400 with the Fiio E7 straight out of my laptop but have been contemplating getting a better amp for it. I am completely satisfied with the sound, I am just wondering if I am "missing out" because of being limited by the E7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back