**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 26, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #17,476 of 22,116
  Can anyone confirm if the JDSLabs C5D is a good pairing?  Am a bit strapped right now so thinking it would be good for home use (of 400's) AND portable rig (for Senn Amperiors).   There is plenty of mention of the desktop JDS ODAC/O2 working but can't find much on the smaller C5D.   Thanks again! 

I like it with the He 400! It gets plenty loud and does not seem to struggle to drive them.But, maybe I have a different approach to all of this. I listen for enjoyment most of the time. I may spend 10% of my listening time trying to analyze and be critical. I find that the C5D powers all of the phones that I have adequately. I even use it with my HD650s. They sound fine for casual listening with the C5D.

If that is what level of cost your budget will allow, I think you would not be disappointed with the C5D for what you want to do. The DAC makes it nice for travel too.

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #17,477 of 22,116
hello 'fiers

I ordered the silver coated copper and received it yesterday and got (nicely) surprised that my dealer made a mistake and also sent me a balanced cable for the he-400 with XLR (and jack adapter). I need your knowledge on this. What exactly is a balanced cable ? what's the difference with regular ones (appart from the plugs and number of wires) and would I have any use of it ? (i use my He-400 with my Denon DA-300USB DAC or on my computer through a Fiio E17 + E09K dac/amp.) 

thanks for your views on it ! 

EDIT : i read about balanced cables vs unbalanced ones, so i get the idea, but i still need ot know if it makes sense in my setup to use a balanced cable. 

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #17,478 of 22,116
Hey guys,

I 've had a pair of HE-400s for about  a week now with probably ~50hrs on them. Most of the criticism I've read on these pre full break-in, seems to be that they sound bright. I don't have this issue but I know my hearing isn't as good as it once was. (too many years of loud rock concerts and rifle fire). I do notice that to me the mids sound a bit muffled and congested, and my AT ATH-M50's don't sound that way to me. Is this possibly the way they really sound now, or is it likely my hearing?

I'm using these with a Schiit DAC and a Lyr 2. I just bought the Lyr, but noticed a similar issue with a fully broken in Schiit Vali.

Thanks,
crazychile

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #17,480 of 22,116
Schiit has their own cables around $20, I believe they're called pyst. I'm sure there are better, but I bet they are decent.

I have a pair of these that I bought for a Vali and Modi combo. The cables are well made and are the perfect length, but sonically I don't think they are anything special. I have a 20yr old .5M pair of cheap Rockford Fosgate cables that I actually prefer, even though logically it makes no sense. The RCA's are cheesy and I'm sure the cable is nothing special.

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #17,481 of 22,116
  They will likely sound muffled within the first moments of listening, because of their recessed upper midrange.  If you have pleather pads instead of velours this will especially be the case.

Thanks!

This is encouraging. I have the stock pleathers and will upgrade at some point. I've noticed that on complex recordings this midrange congestion is really obvious, but recordings that have less "layers" sound pretty good. No complaints about the low bass or treble above 5k or so.

Jun 28, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #17,482 of 22,116
I've just replaced the velour pads with the stock pleather, and to be honest I prefer the pleather ones.
The HE400s probably dont sound as engaging as with the velour but I find their timbre more accurate. The presentation is also a bit more distant and relaxed, which I don't mind at all. Ah, they are also more comfortable! Am I the only one preferring the pleather?

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #17,486 of 22,116
I've just replaced the velour pads with the stock pleather, and to be honest I prefer the pleather ones.
The HE400s probably dont sound as engaging as with the velour but I find their timbre more accurate. The presentation is also a bit more distant and relaxed, which I don't mind at all. Ah, they are also more comfortable! Am I the only one preferring the pleather?

agree with you at this point. I don't like the velour pad at all.

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #17,488 of 22,116
To me, the velours may have increased the volume of vocals, but they seem further back in the mix, since I felt like the vocals were better separated with the pleathers with the foam spacers (even though they had this weird effect that made them sound like they were singing in a cave). without the spacers, I agree, the vocals are more forward with the velours

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #17,489 of 22,116
To me, the velours may have increased the volume of vocals, but they seem further back in the mix, since I felt like the vocals were better separated with the pleathers with the foam spacers (even though they had this weird effect that made them sound like they were singing in a cave). without the spacers, I agree, the vocals are more forward with the velours

It's a totally different experience from my compairison between the two with same equipment setting to the same volume. Even though the voleur pad makes the sound feel more airy, the vocal is recessed and far back for voleur.
In addition, the pleather is a lot more comfortable since in my opinion, the velour is hard and has a bad seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back