**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 30, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #17,507 of 22,116
I think I'll go ahead and order those hybrid pads and give them a try. I like the velour but if those hybrids are similar to the jergpads then they should help a bit with the harsh treble. Not bad for the price either.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #17,511 of 22,116
Hi,
Just want to let everyone know that HifiMan will be exhibiting at the upcoming Capital Audio Fest in DC. The show will take place between July 25th through July 27th at Sheraton Hotel in Silver Spring, MD. Please come visit us and try all of our amazing products including the smoking hot HE-560.

For more information about the show, please visit www.capitalaudiofest.com.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jul 1, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #17,513 of 22,116
I've been reading so many replies and reviews how the O2, Magni and Vali sound the same. After weeks of listening to all of them, (yes I have them all) they are all not exactly the same . I've been using the same music with the HE-400 and all else in the system is the same and have only changed the amps. Started with O2, then went to Magni. Yes the Magni and O2 sound very close. The Magni does sound a tad processed and thin compared to O2 but the Magni does have more authority as it is more powerful in comparison even though they all seem to struggle reproducing the source with the HE-400.

Then I went to the Vali. The Vali sounds nothing like the others. It's slightly more smoother and warmer, more of a natural sound but ever so slightly, and more realistic sounding. I was enjoying it very much for weeks. Then I decided to get the Asgard 2. Why? I read so much about it I just had to try it. The Vali also seem to struggle reproducing the source which makes sense as it's less powerful of the bunch.

I have to say the Asgard 2 is is not like any of the others. Why have some said there is no difference? I'm suspecting what is happening is that people are not using high resolution (or not high enough resolution) tracks or can distinguish the difference OR they just don't hear the difference due to their hearing biology. As a side note: I also did an electronic spectrum hearing test to verify my hearing at different frequencies to eliminate that factor, and I passed 100%.

The Asgard 2 with the HE-400 sound way more detailed, realistic, bassier, deeper, smoother and wider is the best way to explain it with all else in the system being the same.

So for anyone that is thinking about the Asgard 2 with the HE-400, YES it's worth it. The others are a good start, but You WILL hear a difference with respect to what was mentioned above about headphones, music quality rate and biology with better amps. This combo, sounds like an actual amp, it sounds "real" while the others mentioned sound like they're struggling to making an effort to process the sound.

I hope this helps anyone who maybe interested in how the HE-400 responds to different amps.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #17,519 of 22,116
  I was thinking about building a set of replacement cables for my HE-400s. Where do you guys buy your parts and bulk cable from?

I'm looking for something that would sound neutral to slightly on the detailed side on the top end. I haven't decided if I should do high purity copper, or silver plated. My cable would only need to be about 4 ft long. I was hoping to stay close to $100 or maybe a little more for the parts cost.

Thanks,
crazychile

I'm going to make some cables for my HE-400s as well.  I've done a lot of searching around and I'm going to order parts from doublehelixcables.com.  They have everything I'm looking for including the Hifiman connectors.  Their cable is very expensive though, that's the only thing I'll order from elsewhere.  There are ebay sellers that offer like cable, most in china, for a much lower price.

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #17,520 of 22,116
I'm borrowing some HE-400's from member Saoshyant and thought I'd share my most edgy and brief comments.

Jazz does indeed sound great, cymbals have stick sound and a smokey sparkle, and once you've heard acoustic bass on a can that reaches all the way down (like non-Fazor LCD-2.2's)... you'll be a really happy dude.
They're more neutral than expected, only snare drums seem to be obviously sucked out, which is disappointing as a drummer, but you may not really even notice if you're used to a more v-shaped sound. Jazz doesn't need strong snare hits, so you wouldn't know.
For EDM or such bassy musics, I find the bass to be full, pretty deep, but plasticy and ploppy in sound. Thankfully, the speed of these cans esp. in upper mids + low bass makes them quite exciting.
I find treble to not be spikey (I do find HD700's to be)... but dark and a little loose/grainy right before where it drops off (cymbal shimmer).

I'll post more when I get the chance. I will also add as a final note, for current prices, I'd go for the NAD HP50 due to spectacular performance with jazz + EDM as well as being more natural for more genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back