**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 16, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #17,432 of 22,116
Well, I pulled trigger on Vali + Modi. Let's hope you are right 
redface.gif

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #17,434 of 22,116
I was listening to Eagles "Take it Easy" with my HE400  on Fiio X5 and I thought the guitar sound is a little too spiky at the top and makes it sound a little too sharp prob around 10-14khz somewhere in there. It would have been nice if it was softer but I still like it bright. HD650 does this perfect!

And I came across your idea about stuffing it with krismas paper well...I have a box of kleenex in front of me and so I did and it looks like this

Thanks to your BRILLIANT idea now HE400 sounds.....:o2smile: :atsmile: :darthsmile: !!!

Glad you like it. The way I did it was put it under the pads. If you cut a nice circle you can place them flat under the channel under where the pads clip into the housing so they are flat against the inside so they are not exposed.

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #17,438 of 22,116
I'm back to say nothing new except my mind is still blown with modular velour fitted pleather jergs and o2+udac stack. 

I went on a hiatus from listening and following this thread, but I'll keep an eye out to read a bit. 

:D

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #17,439 of 22,116
  I'm back to say nothing new except my mind is still blown with modular velour fitted pleather jergs and o2+udac stack. 

I went on a hiatus from listening and following this thread, but I'll keep an eye out to read a bit. 

udac ? You mean U2 Dac or Odac or another one ?

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #17,440 of 22,116
ODAC is what I meant, thanks for the catch!

udac2 I what I previously had with hd595.

substantial upgrade :D

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #17,441 of 22,116

I use fiio E12 to drive HE400 out of X5. It sounds Amazing 
gs1000.gif
.  Headfonia confirms that E12 is one of the best potable amp for HE400.
Music sounds fuller, wider and more energetic. Oh..the bass..the bass......with the X-tra sub turned on...ooh...
L3000.gif
OMG.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #17,443 of 22,116

I hate to post when I don't have much to say. My post count says it all..
:)

I got a pair of the last batch of Jeg/Modulor pads. They made a very noticeable difference in how well I like my 400s. I spent lots of time equalizing and tried things like Dolby Headphone processing to try to tame ... what I consider treble harshness, especially with female vocals. The pads eliminated 90%  of that problem. I was listening the other night with Just my Fuze and C5D with no equalization at all listening to FLAC rips (I decided to try the 400s without being tied to my listening desk). I really liked what I heard.

Thanks Jerg and Modulor!.

And this from a real skeptic when it comes to most mods, cable upgrades, etc. Highly recommended, if you can find to buy, or make these, do it!

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #17,444 of 22,116
I got this headphone recently, with the Schiit Vali and Modi (optical). I listen predominantly to really, really heavy metal, a lot of sludge/doom/death/post/experimental/instrumental stuff like Cult of Luna, Neurosis, Behemoth, Year of No Light, Fall of Efrafa... and this combination is awesome! I'm scared to turn the volume knob above halfway. The HE-400 is certainly efficient. I've lost my classical CD collection for the time being, so I am unable to transport them into digital... but I do have some Mozart and Bach, and I enjoy this headphone for that the old stuff just as much.

I just got into this hobby recently so I'm not yet a snob, and don't know the 'taste' of expensive-ass hi-fi gear; for me, as a relatively poor university student, this combination sounds absolutely superb. I have everything in FLAC through winamp, nothing special. 

I'm looking forward to replacing the current velour pads with the new ones on the HE-400i, since I heard those are relatively comparable to the Jergpads.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back