Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
May 21, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #481 of 4,142
I was thinking about purchasing a pair of HD650s, but this thread (and a few others) have changed my mind.

Now considering that I use my desktop computer to play FLAC files on Foobar, is the HE4/EF5 combo all I will need or do I need something else? How do I connect the EF5 with the desktop? Sorry for the newb questions, I currently use an ATH-M50s and I don't use an amp with them...

May 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #482 of 4,142
I was thinking about purchasing a pair of HD650s, but this thread (and a few others) have changed my mind.

Now considering that I use my desktop computer to play FLAC files on Foobar, is the HE4/EF5 combo all I will need or do I need something else? How do I connect the EF5 with the desktop? Sorry for the newb questions, I currently use an ATH-M50s and I don't use an amp with them...

Just a pair of ICs unless you want to go with an outboard DAC. :evil:

May 21, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #483 of 4,142

Quote:
Quote:

Just a pair of ICs unless you want to go with an outboard DAC.
evil_smiley.gif

This is slightly embarrassing... I'm not really sure what ICs are, or an outboard DAC for that matter. I'm just looking for the cheapest option here, since I can't spend much beyond the $700 that the HE4/EF5 combo will cost me.

Any input is greatly appreciated :D

May 21, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #484 of 4,142
The most basic connection would be a miniplug to rca cable from the headphone out of your computer to your amp which used your computer's built-in soundcard for better or worse. From there you could investigate whether your computer has any built-in digital audio outputs besides usb for converting it to analog sound in a separate component called a digital to analog converter (dac). Sometimes people install optional soundcards as an intermediate solution but I don't advise it.

May 29, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #485 of 4,142
Just picked up a pristine, vintage Sansui AU-717 amplifier off of craigslist today.  Man, that's crazy power out of that amp's speaker and headphone outputs, it drives the HE-4 without even blinking an eye.  I'm primarily going to use the Lyr because I like the tube signature but I keep the AU-717 in my bedroom (CD player > Sansui AU-717) so that I can listen to the HE-4 away from my computer set-up (W4S DAC-2 > Lyr).  Just another option for people looking at non-dedicated headphone amp options.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #487 of 4,142
Any chance of the HE4s running off an Essence sound card? I'm looking to upgrade my AD900s to something with more bass, but I've been spoiled by the clarity and soundstage these give and I don't know where else to turn.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #488 of 4,142
I seriously doubt it. A balanced RSA Protector could not drive them properly

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #489 of 4,142
My experience with both the He5 and He6 tells me no, those two were really hard to drive. They can't even run off some smaller amps I know (like the Asgard, which coughed up blood trying to drive the HE6, and the E9 had issues with the HE5 as well even though the E9 usually drives anything I throw at it with impunity. I'm sure the HE4 follows suit. 

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #490 of 4,142
im thinking of buying the he-4 but im not sure weather it will be such a upgrade from the 650...... any advice.....

should i go further up the tree?

im look for somthing with some more treble, i find the treble on the 650s just too rolled off.

how is the bass compaired?

i find the mids of the 650s just great! how well does the he-4 do in this area?

im about to buy a lyr so any new headphone recommendation to upgrade to will help thanks. :)

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #491 of 4,142

Quote:
im thinking of buying the he-4 but im not sure weather it will be such a upgrade from the 650...... any advice.....

im look for somthing with some more treble, i find the treble on the 650s just too rolled off.

im about to buy a lyr so any new headphone recommendation to upgrade to will help thanks. :)

Hi I had HD600 and bass on HE-4 is punchier and treble is really there but there aren't that much mids. I defo prefer the HE-4 although HD600 with a tube amp was sometimes so magical which HE-4 hasn't achieved yet.

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #492 of 4,142
if you have the money, go for HE-6. Since you are getting Lyr, you don't have to worry about amp power. The treble of HE-6 is simply great, full of details. 

btw, Schiit is releasing their first entry level DAC (Bifost) tomorrow. exciting time! :wink:

Quote:

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #493 of 4,142
I must really check again de HE-6 vs HE-500 threads ...

:)

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #494 of 4,142
I must really check again de HE-6 vs HE-500 threads ...

:)

I recommend getting both. LOL...
Seriously it just depends on your setup (he6 requires a very powerful amp while he-500 can be easily driven by a lot of existing amps), and music preference (he500 has more musical mids but both ends are not as extended as he6. He6 is a little bit bright comparing to he500. He6 also has more detail and faster since it has a gold diaphragm vs. He500's aluminum one.)

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #495 of 4,142
Well, I could'nt help myself, & I ordered the HE-4s from Amazon. A quick question. It was mentioned many pages back that a normal 1/8''/3.5mm connector/adapter is included now, Can someone confirm if this is actually the case? Getting any information about the Hifiman products sold is much more difficult than it is to actually get the products, Thanks , Steve (previously known as "Podtweaker"here) (Are we crazy or what ? buying these items from word of mouth & then scrambling to find out information on them. Yup, I'm nuts)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back