Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #496 of 4,142
Yes, mine came with the cable terminated with 6.35 mm connector and cable terminated with balanced TRSS connector and TRSS to 3.5mm adapter.
If I recall there were some people that did not get the TRSS to 3.5mm adapter so not sure if you will.

Quote:
Well, I could'nt help myself, & I ordered the HE-4s from Amazon. A quick question. It was mentioned many pages back that a normal 1/8''/3.5mm connector/adapter is included now, Can someone confirm if this is actually the case? Getting any information about the Hifiman products sold is much more difficult than it is to actually get the products, Thanks , Steve (previously known as "Podtweaker"here) (Are we crazy or what ? buying these items from word of mouth & then scrambling to find out information on them. Yup, I'm nuts)

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #497 of 4,142
No adaptor in my box

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #498 of 4,142

Quote:
No adaptor in my box

Yeah I didn't got it either. Cut the plug the other day but the wires are so small its hard to solder so I'll probably have to toss it away. What a shame.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #499 of 4,142
Well, I suppose I can use the Grado 1/4"female to mini cable & mini plug if I don't receive the adaptor. Time to fire up my Consonance Opera Cyber 20 headphone amp & my McCormack micro integrated drive (because I just remembered I think I need a tube set change on the Opera, I starting to notice some noise & the upper frequencies are'nt nearly as extended as through the McCormack). I'll check back in after I've had some time listening to the HE-4s through my "home rig". ( I'm almost tempted to drive around & look for the FedEx truck tomorrow,but I guess I can spend the time searching through my music collection for tasty tidbits to listen to w/ my new phones) Later !

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #500 of 4,142
It's a little weird that you guys didn't get the adapters with your HE-4.  Even why I purchased the RE-262 I was sent a regular TRSS to stereo mini adapter and reversing TRSS to stereo mini adapter for people who use the the IEMs over the ear.  

Have people tried contacting Head-direct for the adapters?

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #501 of 4,142

Quote:
It's a little weird that you guys didn't get the adapters with your HE-4.  Even why I purchased the RE-262 I was sent a regular TRSS to stereo mini adapter and reversing TRSS to stereo mini adapter for people who use the the IEMs over the ear.  

Have people tried contacting Head-direct for the adapters?

I was thinking about it but thought it would be cheaper to reterminate it rather than paying for shipping from China and possibly for the adapter. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #502 of 4,142
I was being optimistic in thinking they might pay for it because some people got the adapters and some didn't.  

Quote:
I was thinking about it but thought it would be cheaper to reterminate it rather than paying for shipping from China and possibly for the adapter. 

Jul 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #503 of 4,142
All's well the adaptor came w/ the other cables. A quick observation : It's seems like using these phones via an 1/8" connection may have grudgingly been an afterthought given the visual differences between the cable used for 1/4" connections & the cable setup for 1/8 connections. I would suppose terminating 1/4"plugs to cable is much less labor intensive, still it would have been nice to offer the perspective buyers the option of having a complete headphone to 1/8"cable , at an additional cost, or the included cable & adaptor setup at no cost. I think I'll send the included spare set of headphone cable connectors & connection sleeves to Craig Sanborn over at Whiplash Audio (after I emal him first, to get the ok) & see if he can make up a complete headphone to pin cable up. It just bothers me a little to use things that, though they work, appear to be afterthoughts. We could turn around & say " Well, I was going to buy your headphones, but these are sufficient so I chose not to buy yours!". It's not like I don't have another set of headphones to use, Why would even consider not giving your product every possible sonic advantage just to save some cost(which the buyer can choose or not). It's not that complicated

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #504 of 4,142
aah, can't wait until I hopefully receive my HE-4 this coming week. I really hope they're as good with rock music as everyone says. and hopefully some violin music too. dun dun dun. and that my CK2 III can drive them too of course.

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #505 of 4,142

Quote:
aah, can't wait until I hopefully receive my HE-4 this coming week. I really hope they're as good with rock music as everyone says. and hopefully some violin music too. dun dun dun. and that my CK2 III can drive them too of course.

I think all your wishes will come true

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #506 of 4,142
I understand but a lot of other headphones don't even come with a separate cable terminated with a 1/8" connector.  My more expensive LCD-2 came with only a single-ended cable with the 1/4" connector.  Not even an adapter for mini-stereo.  A lot of comparably priced headphones (HD-650) come with just an adapter and not an entire cable such as is the case of the HE-4.  While it would be nice for headphone manufacturers to give you the option of a good cable with the 1/8" connector most do not in my experience so actually Hifiman is doing more than other companies.  I agree it is not a great cable but I think it's the other guys that deserve more of your criticism.  Additionally, most headphone amplifiers that drive mid-fi to hi-fi cans have the 1/4" connector input so it's not never going to be a major option until the standard changes.   

Quote:
All's well the adaptor came w/ the other cables. A quick observation : It's seems like using these phones via an 1/8" connection may have grudgingly been an afterthought given the visual differences between the cable used for 1/4" connections & the cable setup for 1/8 connections. I would suppose terminating 1/4"plugs to cable is much less labor intensive, still it would have been nice to offer the perspective buyers the option of having a complete headphone to 1/8"cable , at an additional cost, or the included cable & adaptor setup at no cost. I think I'll send the included spare set of headphone cable connectors & connection sleeves to Craig Sanborn over at Whiplash Audio (after I emal him first, to get the ok) & see if he can make up a complete headphone to pin cable up. It just bothers me a little to use things that, though they work, appear to be afterthoughts. We could turn around & say " Well, I was going to buy your headphones, but these are sufficient so I chose not to buy yours!". It's not like I don't have another set of headphones to use, Why would even consider not giving your product every possible sonic advantage just to save some cost(which the buyer can choose or not). It's not that complicated

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #507 of 4,142
so i decided to give the HE4 a little more headtime. i had to adjust the headband some and now its not putting too much pressure on my temples.  they sound pretty pretty good.  the weight is pretty light.  not sure if i like the plastic housing and the way it feels.  headband could be a little more comfortable.  sound wise, i can see the slight V shape but its not as bad as i was thinking it might be. if the mids were a little more like the other orthos, this might have been the best deal for a headphone in the price range. 

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #508 of 4,142
Actually the headband was too tight for me at the beginning as well and I haven't done anything to manipulate with it but after several weeks its fine now, it has adapted to my head. The headband that is.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #509 of 4,142
Agreed, I just took a month from listening to the HE-4 and the mids are only slightly recessed.  With the right amp + tube combination it's not even a major concern for me.  

Quote:
so i decided to give the HE4 a little more headtime. i had to adjust the headband some and now its not putting too much pressure on my temples.  they sound pretty pretty good.  the weight is pretty light.  not sure if i like the plastic housing and the way it feels.  headband could be a little more comfortable.  sound wise, i can see the slight V shape but its not as bad as i was thinking it might be. if the mids were a little more like the other orthos, this might have been the best deal for a headphone in the price range. 

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #510 of 4,142

Quote:
Actually the headband was too tight for me at the beginning as well and I haven't done anything to manipulate with it but after several weeks its fine now, it has adapted to my head. The headband that is.

literally gave me a headache in the first minute i put them on.  i think it was the angle of the earpads on my head.  in any case, now its comfortable.  i dont think i could have survived a couple weeks for it to form to my head lol i would hav eneeded another bottle of advil for sure. 

Quote:
Agreed, I just took a month from listening to the HE-4 and the mids are only slightly recessed.  With the right amp + tube combination it's not even a major concern for me.  

i agree.  ive had the sennheisers in this price range, and i think these sound much more to my liking.  what tube amps are you guys using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back