Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #513 of 4,142
I'm selling mine too but only because I can't concentrate on two good cans:  LCD-2 and HE-4.  If I was smart I would have gotten the HE-4 and nothing else for a while.  But that's not the way it works in this business. 
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
nice. i have the lyr with gold lions right now but i also have mullard CV2492s

too bad i have to sell these to fund another purchase. cant justify having two open headphones at the same time (thats just me). 

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #514 of 4,142
The recessed/thin mids do not bother me anymore. My old Marantz receiver adds a little warmth and I use the tone controls to turn the treble and bass down a notch. Sounds much more balanced, and is a really nice contrast to my main speakers which in comparison are laid back sounding. I still would like to upgrade to HE-500 however. 
biggrin.gif
 Should be getting the HE-500 loaner soon. Its been too long ago and short an audition of LCD2 and HE-6, so I won't be making any comparisons to those orthos (memory is iffy anyway). 

I could not notice an obvious difference between the headphone and speaker outs of my vintage Marantz receiver. However, the headphone out could possibly be pushing 2WPC so that would explain that... Also, the speaker outs make a static sound in the background, but it wouldn't be such a problem if the HE-4's brightness did not enhance this sound. The static is not too bad with treble knob turned down one peg (even in a dead quiet room type background). You can't hear the noise with low volume music listening, but its probably smothering some slight details. So I've just been using the headphone out.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #516 of 4,142
HE-4 just arrived here. been sitting with them for maybe half an hour. they're better than I imagined. amazing. the treble is right where I want it to be. bass is super impressive, not too much really. works great with my CK2 III too. wow. new favourite in the midrange section for me. quite comfy, bit clamping but I'm sure I will survive. NICE!

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #518 of 4,142
Quick question, are the headphone cable screw in connector posts the same size for the various models; in other words are my posts on HE-4s the same size that as those on the HE-6s ? The reason I ask is that I've noticed some HE-6 owners have been able to find aftermarket headphone cables. I can use an adaptor but I don't want to. (For the time being I'm using a Hosa 1/4" to stereo mini plug that I picked up in a music store (Sam Ash, I think) rather than that itsy bitsy mini cable arrangement that came w/ my HE-4s. It actually works pretty well)

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #520 of 4,142
Yes same plugs on all models. Love my TWag cable from Whiplash and have used it both on my own HE-4 and the loaner HE-500

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #521 of 4,142
I just realized I've posted some of my impresssions on the HE-4s on the HM-602 first impressions thread (I did this to confuse people, or was it because I'm confused, I can't remember!!! See what headphone listening does to your mind... get out now, before it's too late ! time to go do someting normal I suppose,  Man, this Egon Wellesz is just too interesting to stop listening!)

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #522 of 4,142
I know this is an HE-4 thread, but just some info sharing here. I was listening to one of the loaner pairs of the HE-500's and I went to pull the cable out of my amp...and Lo and Behold, there was a 1/8" termination under the 1/4" "adapter". So no worries there.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #523 of 4,142

Quote:
I know this is an HE-4 thread, but just some info sharing here. I was listening to one of the loaner pairs of the HE-500's and I went to pull the cable out of my amp...and Lo and Behold, there was a 1/8" termination under the 1/4" "adapter". So no worries there.

So, I guess you're saying the loaner pair of 500s don't have a molded 1/4'' on them.? (Molded 1/4" cable terminations exhibit on full sized headphones of any "pedigree" shows a bit of arrogance & prehistoric thinking as far as I'm concerned. 1/8'' to 1/4'' adapters make sense, I would think the 1/4" plug just sees the 1/8"plug as solid wire. 1/4" to 1/8" reminds of trying to put a square peg into a round(& smaller) Do you headphone makers understand the concepts of larger & smaller objects & how dissimiliar objects cause difficulties.? If I could think of more condescending statements to make I gladly would continue , but I'm told it's better not to dwell on things . If this is the case(& could hope it is) I applaud HiFiman for their forward thinking .

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #525 of 4,142
just curious if anyone else have tried HE-4 with the CK2 III amp... want to know how much I actually get from my headphones or if I could possibly drive them a bit further. was considering building a tube amp of some sort, but not sure what. not too familiar with higher end tube amps, so should be interesting. anyone got any ideas? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back