Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #3,768 of 4,142
I wasn't particularly a fan of the dt990 pads. Though, I've always been curious about the micro velour pads from the T90s

Yeah... also considering about those too because those microfiber just feels so damn good. Though my main goal is to get a plushier pad than the stock velour ones. Man the clamping pressure is strong!

Oh, but more importantly, still haven't decided between the Lyr2 and the Ember..... such a pain because I can't listen to both of them in here Korea.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #3,769 of 4,142
Yeah... also considering about those too because those microfiber just feels so damn good. Though my main goal is to get a plushier pad than the stock velour ones. Man the clamping pressure is strong!

Oh, but more importantly, still haven't decided between the Lyr2 and the Ember..... such a pain because I can't listen to both of them in here Korea.

I stretched mine with books every night for 3 days per @mrscotchguy's advice. It helps, but it'll still take time to get used to it completely.
Now I can use it for hours.

I haven't decided which amp either. I got the money now but also got good offer of a Geek Pulse X from Singapore, but import fees are such biiig hassle.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #3,771 of 4,142
I wouldn't be worried about the Ember breaking. It has an open chassis, sure, but it's not like it isn't robust.

I received my 5LE's this weekend. They are definitely in stock form (they have the star felt pattern on both sides of the driver, but not any foam @mrscotchguy). They also have the original velour pads as well and black gimbles. Sound wise, they are definitely bright, like the 4's but they don't have sibilance... wait... they don't have sibilance? I went ahead and measured them and found that the treble peak is around 6.5kHz and it slopes downward as it goes up. I believe the 4's have more of a bothersome treble due to a sharper peak. The 5LE's with a couple layers of treble dampening material in front of the driver (TP, felt, etc.) would give a pretty flat FR and provide little sibilance issues. Very cool! I'll post measurements once I have a better feel.

In terms of 4 vs. 5LE subjectively, the 4's are still way more open. In fact, the 5LE is closer to the 6 than the 4, but it has more treble issues for sure (the 6 can sound bright but the upper mid/treble area is way more under control and balanced). The 4 is still a more enjoyable headphone for me. When I want space, separation, and aggression, the 4's are my go-to. When I want resolution and balance with a blacker background, I grab the 6's. The 5LE's could easily fill the 6 void with some mods though!

/rant

I'll give you guys some cool stuff to look at soon.

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #3,772 of 4,142
I wouldn't be worried about the Ember breaking. It has an open chassis, sure, but it's not like it isn't robust.

I received my 5LE's this weekend. They are definitely in stock form (they have the star felt pattern on both sides of the driver, but not any foam @mrscotchguy
). They also have the original velour pads as well and black gimbles. Sound wise, they are definitely bright, like the 4's but they don't have sibilance... wait... they don't have sibilance? I went ahead and measured them and found that the treble peak is around 6.5kHz and it slopes downward as it goes up. I believe the 4's have more of a bothersome treble due to a sharper peak. The 5LE's with a couple layers of treble dampening material in front of the driver (TP, felt, etc.) would give a pretty flat FR and provide little sibilance issues. Very cool! I'll post measurements once I have a better feel.

In terms of 4 vs. 5LE subjectively, the 4's are still way more open. In fact, the 5LE is closer to the 6 than the 4, but it has more treble issues for sure (the 6 can sound bright but the upper mid/treble area is way more under control and balanced). The 4 is still a more enjoyable headphone for me. When I want space, separation, and aggression, the 4's are my go-to. When I want resolution and balance with a blacker background, I grab the 6's. The 5LE's could easily fill the 6 void with some mods though!

/rant

I'll give you guys some cool stuff to look at soon.

That's a pretty awesome impression. I'm happy it's working out for you. It goes to show that pads can make a huge difference.

To my ear, the HE-5LE sounds a bit wonky with blown out bass. When I get mine put back together, I'll try the original rings instead of the newer "vented" ring and see if that helps. Maybe it's getting too much air.

I still find it strange that one driver had a foam insert, when no reveiws showes anything remotely similar... That said, the foam really helped tame some of the "wonkiness" for me.

I'm waiting for an actual day off work to play catchup. This weekend, we're taking my employees to a local Brewery for a post "Halloween" staff party. I'll be going as the Swedish Chef!

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #3,774 of 4,142

I wonder if this will be good enough to reduce the destructive clamping force. Or maybe it is a bit too much?

I ended up leaving mine on a bookshelf speaker (shielded, of course) for a week. That looks about the same width i used. The piece of metal inside the headband is pretty thick steel, and it's fairly resilient... you should be good.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #3,776 of 4,142
The quickest fix is to just flex the headband back by hand. Just hold the insides of the headband (not the cups, since the gimble/headband connection is weak) and stretch it out a few times. The books will achieve the same result, it will just take longer. And, depending on your pads, it may compress them more which may affect the way the headphones sound.

Basically you are just plastically deforming the headband to have less grip. Since it's a steel headband, you are going to exhibit little to no 'creep' at room temp. In other words, theoretically, the stretching required to get it over the books is the main thing causing the headband clamp to be less. Leaving them on the books should not affect the headband grip much at all. Not unless the temperature of your room is really really hot (~900°F). Reference. Okay, enough metallurgy!

It will affect the gimble/headband connection by stretching it outward (since I think those little circular pieces on the headband are simply glued to the pleather/padding) and it will compress your pads. Overall, you are getting less of a clamp, but my metallurgy brain doubts that much of that is from the headband creeping.

TL;DR - if you are impatient (like me), just flex the headband backwards a few times
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #3,778 of 4,142
Mine used 12 volumes of Spice and Wolf novel, thicker than that.
Left mine every night for 3 days and they loosened up. Now they're pretty comfortable

Well... that Hifiman box + books idea wasn't much help. Moved to 13 Sakurasou light novels and not much difference either.
Oh... I finished getting rid of the foam inside the grill though. I was surprised to see that there was only one piece of foam inside rather than 2 layers. Hopefully won't do any damage to the drivers since my room has a rather quite a lot of dust. Soundwise, it did get rid of that sloght veil on the mids and has opened up quite a bit and sounding a lot more cleaner. Quite a difference overall. Also looks quite badass ^^.

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #3,779 of 4,142
Well... that Hifiman box + books idea wasn't much help. Moved to 13 Sakurasou light novels and not much difference either.

Oh... I finished getting rid of the foam inside the grill though. I was surprised to see that there was only one piece of foam inside rather than 2 layers. Hopefully won't do any damage to the drivers since my room has a rather quite a lot of dust. Soundwise, it did get rid of that sloght veil on the mids and has opened up quite a bit and sounding a lot more cleaner. Quite a difference overall. Also looks quite badass ^^.

Probably you're still not used to it then. Needs maybe around a week for me to handle the comfort.

I replaced the foam with an accoustically transparent fabric. Would not want to leave it uncovered and let dust enters while still keeping the more open sound.
I guess you could try such fabric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back