Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #3,736 of 4,142
So, sold 1010, for no reason now as I just got a better job in a cheaper place to live. Looking for r2r dac+new vintage pioneer over the next year. To chime in here, I could never get into the alpha pads on the 4. Backed the highs off way too much and added too much mid bass, FOR ME. But I really really wanted to find a way to make those things work because of comfort alone. My1540 pads have became so squished that I either need a new pair, or to try and get on mrscotchguys other angled options. Nvx, LCD, oh the options here. Someone find me a paradisea 3 and a spec1 spec2 stack asap!!!

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #3,738 of 4,142
Well, didn't take the job in Portland in the end. Got a better offer closer to eugene. I will definitely try to go to a Seattle meet still!

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #3,740 of 4,142
This means I will need to pay you a visit with my 10.33, my friend...

I look forward to it. Do you want to shoot for some time in November or early December?

So, sold 1010, for no reason now as I just got a better job in a cheaper place to live. Looking for r2r dac+new vintage pioneer over the next year. To chime in here, I could never get into the alpha pads on the 4. Backed the highs off way too much and added too much mid bass, FOR ME. But I really really wanted to find a way to make those things work because of comfort alone. My1540 pads have became so squished that I either need a new pair, or to try and get on mrscotchguys other angled options. Nvx, LCD, oh the options here. Someone find me a paradisea 3 and a spec1 spec2 stack asap!!!

Just as long as you didn't sell the HE-4. No coming back from that!

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #3,741 of 4,142
I look forward to it. Do you want to shoot for some time in November or early December?

I haven't used any of my 2 weeks... Unfortunately for me, my schedule is stupid crazy right now. My fiance messed up her leg and has to do PT... Hopefully she didn't tear anything! So we're stuck in town since it was her right leg, of course. She hasn't been cleared to drive yet.

At this point, early November is basically out. Maybe the week after Thanksgiving would work? Otherwise, it won't be until January!

Are you thinking mini-meet?!

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #3,742 of 4,142
Ummm... a few hours ago I received my headphones and opened the box and finnaly received my Hifiman He4. It was actually a early-production model with blacked out metal parts and a diffrent driver cover. But, as soon as I picked up the cable, I realized something that really set me off. What the Hell? The cable they gave me wasn't the stock 6.3mm 3meter crystalline cable. It was a 3.5mm.... and what??
I'm going off to the headquarters tommorow and I'll notice you guys right away what happens next. They should have NOTHING to say against this.

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #3,745 of 4,142
I haven't used any of my 2 weeks... Unfortunately for me, my schedule is stupid crazy right now. My fiance messed up her leg and has to do PT... Hopefully she didn't tear anything! So we're stuck in town since it was her right leg, of course. She hasn't been cleared to drive yet.

At this point, early November is basically out. Maybe the week after Thanksgiving would work? Otherwise, it won't be until January!

Are you thinking mini-meet?!

Week after Thanksgiving could probably work. I have a few Wichita friends that are definitely willing to get together for a mini meet (my buddy from the KC meet and a couple others who we got hooked). I don't know who else though.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #3,746 of 4,142
Week after Thanksgiving could probably work. I have a few Wichita friends that are definitely willing to get together for a mini meet (my buddy from the KC meet and a couple others who we got hooked). I don't know who else though.

We should probably take this to PM... But in reality, a mini meet would probably just end up as Hifiman and Audio-GD preaching :cool:

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #3,747 of 4,142
Now.. I ran to the headquarters in Seoul and mande a huge fit and finally managed to get the stock 3M cable. Now the only thing I have to worry about is i guess the amplification. I don't want to get a solid state amplifier because I want that natural tube sound out of it. The amps in my mind are the Project Ember and the Schiit Lyr2. The things a aim for is

1. Soundstage and instrument seperation
2. Warm and natural sound
3. Possibly hearing every single detail coming out of the music.

My mind is actually leaning towards the Lyr2 because I'm worried about the Project Ember breaking up as I'm using it and finding it difficult to use. Oh, and a 220V Europlug is PRIOR because I'm living in Korea.

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #3,748 of 4,142
I have yet to listen to an amp that has the soundstage and separation that Ember does for the HE series, but I haven't tried Lyr2. Warmth can be altered by the tube, and Ember has many more options in that department. Ember is actually quite easy to use despite its intimidating open chassis.

In all honesty, either option would be fine. If you want to tweak the sound more, to find that sweet spot, Ember simply has more options.

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #3,749 of 4,142
I have yet to listen to an amp that has the soundstage and separation that Ember does for the HE series, but I haven't tried Lyr2. Warmth can be altered by the tube, and Ember has many more options in that department. Ember is actually quite easy to use despite its intimidating open chassis.

In all honesty, either option would be fine. If you want to tweak the sound more, to find that sweet spot, Ember simply has more options.

Sx1010

Users who are viewing this thread

Back